Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Carimali Uno rebuild
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Carimali Uno...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bmw

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Boema
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006, 3:56pm
Subject: Carimali Uno rebuild

I've just bought a second hand Carimali Uno. I currently have a Boema single group, which I have done my own maintenance on.

The first thing I noticed when I opened her up, apart from the dirt, was that there is no thermosyphon loop. There is a copper plate connected between the boiler and the group to keep it hot. I would imagine that this arrangement would allow the water in the hx to get very hot Ė yet to see the brewing performance, because of another problemÖ.

The auto fill does not seem to be working. When I first turned the machine on it (the pump+fill solenoid) ran all the time, then oscillated on and off a bit (like a low frequency buzz) now will not run at all :-(

I have removed the auto fill level sensor assembly from the boiler and cleaned it. Still no go. I also tried disconnected the wire from the sensor to simulate a low water level.

The pump still goes when I turn the brew switch on, so the control box looks like itís still sort of working. The control unit is a Gicar Dosatura 30/f, canít find any info on this one from google. Does anyone have any experience in repairing these units? Iím an electrical engineer so Iím keen to try to fix it before I buy a new one.

Thanks
Bruce
 View Profile Link to this post
telemaster
telemaster

Espresso: bezzera 2 group, ecm...
Grinder: cunill el tranquilo
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006, 12:50am
Subject: Re: Carimali Uno rebuild

hi bruce- i've recently been working on an old bezzera 2 gp- see my post
i've looked and u can get carimali parts from http://coffeeparts.com  they are in sydney and do super quick posts
u can call pedro there or email- do i assume u r aussie with a boema?
he's great for info and advice
all the best
brett
bmw

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006, 2:39pm

Hi Brett, I'm in New Zealand. Boema machines used to be sold here, but currently I don't think anyone is actively selling them. There is a Carimalli agent here, but I suspect coffeeparts.com will be cheaper. I noticed, while looking at parts diagrams on coffeeparts.com, that the Bezzera group looks the same as the Boema one, I assume that Boema buys them from Bezzera or another Italian company?

Cheers
Bruce
Mista_T

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra MC SA, Carimali Uno
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Anfim Milano
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006, 3:27pm

I've almost finished overhauling my Uno (for the second time).

Freshfood Services in Auckland are the NZ Carimali agents, and seem to be cheaper than coffeeparts.com (given freight and exchange rate) BUT they didn't have the parts I needed which are specific to the Uno. I would try Freshfoods first, but if they can't help, or if you get sick of waiting for them, I had a very speedy response from coffeeparts.com.

WRT overheating, I find I have to flush about 4 shot's worth of water through before I brew when the machine has been idle for a while. This is more to cool down the water in the long HX path than to stabilise the group temp - I think. From the diagrams on coffeeparts.com and from completely taking apart the group, it looks like the larger Carimali machines do have a thermosyphon loop, but for whatever reason (space would be my guess) it was not included on the Uno.

Luckily, the electronics in mine work great, so I haven't needed to do much in that respect, but I'm happy to help where I can in terms of the rest of the machine.

Good luck getting the element out of the boiler... :)

I don't get mad. I get...stabby.
                                        - Fat Tony
bmw

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006, 4:48pm

Hi, I haven't tried to remove the boiler element yet, but I noticed, that it's written on the pressurestat that the element has been replaced with a 2000W robert-harris one. Does your uno have the full sized pressurestat? Also my uno does not have an anti vacuum valve, from the diagrams I have found I would have to assume that this should have been on the boiler or the steam wand valve. It looks like my unoís steam valve may hev been replaced with a hot water valve, which does not have the threaded hole on top for the a-v valve.

Hope your Uno isn't giving you too much grief having to overhaul twice.
telemaster
telemaster

Espresso: bezzera 2 group, ecm...
Grinder: cunill el tranquilo
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006, 9:08pm

re beoma and bezzera- u r a clever boy bruce!
yep they are the same head and portafilter-interestingly a friend with a boema gave me an old worn boema handle to put an 18g basket in for my ecm botticelli because it was too deep for a regular one- (18g marzocco one from coffeeparts)- and while regular handles won't go into bezzera or boema, bezzera will fit regualr group heads
lovely heavy duty stuff anyway
brett
Mista_T

Posted Fri Jul 28, 2006, 1:36am

I didn't really need to overhaul twice. It was pretty beaten up when I got it, so I took the boiler out for a quick descale, but didn't want to spend too much time/$  in case the machine turned out to be a dog. I've been very happy with it since, but finally decided to do a proper job. Now the boiler is as shiny inside as it is outside. :)

Mine has a commercial Sirai p-stat. The vaccuum breaker valve is top center on the boiler. Mine has a steam wand on the left and hot water on the right; I have seen others with them swapped over, which would correspond better with the locations of the appropriate outlets on the boiler.

- Fat Tony
Mista_T

Posted Fri Jul 28, 2006, 1:42am

I found this photo from before I took it apart the first time (hence all the gunk...*ahem*). The hole in the top of the boiler is where the vaccuum breaker goes. The fact that the pipes to the both the steam and water valves swaps sides makes me think it may have been designed with the valves the other way around. Also note part of the Sirai p-stat bottom right.

Please excuse the photo. It was to be a memory aid only...

Mista_T: Carimali-047_1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

- Fat Tony
bmw

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2006, 2:30pm

Thanks for the photo/info. Mine uno does not have the hole in the middle of the boiler like your one, doh. I will probably add an av valve to the spare point on the 5 way connector, may have to use an elbow to get the valve oriented vertically.

What did you use to get the boiler shiny inside? Mine has a thin coating of brownish scale inside. I put some citric acid solution inside but it didn't clean it out as much as I had hoped. At least now everything else is clean and shiny, except for the taps - last thing to do. The group was filthy, I wouldn't have wanted to drink coffee from it. The shower screen is missing and has been replaced with a piece of stainless steel mesh which was not fine eough to stop coffee grinds from totally cloging up the passages in the head.

btw, I used my 600mm (big mutha) cresent to remove the element!
Mista_T

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2006, 3:58pm

I used a citric acid solution too...for about a week. I changed the solution every couple of days. Mine had a lot of gunk in it. The first time I cleaned it, I ended up with about 1cm deep scale/sludge in the bottom of the  sink. Impressive in a weird sort of way.

I think the crescent I used was about that big too. I ended up having to put the end of the element (still in the boiler) in a vice, and using the wrench on the boiler itself. I was sure I was gonna injure myself somehow when it finally gave way, but I didn't. The telfon gasket had to be chiselled off.

Does your one have a normal looking steam tip? Mine has the big stupid thing in the picture below, which creates giant bubbles, and is welded on so I have to get a whole new steam wand.

Mista_T: Stupidsteamwand.jpg
(Click for larger image)

- Fat Tony
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Carimali Uno...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236456871033)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+