Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
just installed my PID Kit from Jim G. on my Sylvia...wish I had a year ago
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > just installed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ultraman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Sylvia
Grinder: Capresso junk
Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 5:45am
Subject: just installed my PID Kit from Jim G. on my Sylvia...wish I had a year ago

kit was totally complete, every connector done and done right, controller top-flight and pre-set, all hardware and brackets fit perfect, incredibly well described instructions that left nothing to question.  Looks great.  Personally i have felt all the temp surfing required to get Sylvia to make a great cup was fun for the first week and just utter bullsh*t after that.  NOW you just slide the cup under and go.  My Mazzer has always done its job perfect so now I can just play with diffent beans.  Jim is a pleasure to deal with...really could not be happier.  Did the whole install yesterady afternoon in about 1 1/2 hours
 View Profile Link to this post
Rusty_Cogs

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 8:07am
Subject: Re: just installed my PID Kit from Jim G. on my Sylvia...wish I had a year ago

Can you provide a link?

I am on the fence about the PID thing but if I drop the coin I want to make sure
a moron like me can do the install :-)
ultraman

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 9:57am
Subject: Re: just installed my PID Kit from Jim G. on my Sylvia...wish I had a year ago

dont know why its not posting....I'll ask that he post on thread
jasestu
jasestu

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (PID)
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:04am

With all the good things I've read about PID I am definitely keen.  However my Silvia is only a few months old, so I figure I ought to see the 12 month warranty out before I start tweaking the beast.  

Was this the PID kit link you were speaking of - MLG Properties PID Kits ?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:29am

ultraman Said:

dont know why its not posting....I'll ask that he post on thread

Posted August 21, 2006 link

Thanks for the nice words, Ultraman.  Always appreciate positive feedback from good Texas customers.

I'm not completely familiar with CG's rules on commercial postings, so I'll just offer to answer questions sent my way via PM.  Or, you can Google "silvia PID" where you will get links to several good web sites, including ours.

Thanks.

Jim G
MLG Properties, LLC
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ultraman

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:30am

yes that is him/it.  Your new to your sylvia and i am assuming you are temp surfing with a good pyrometer and stopwatch or similar.  It is the only way to get consistently good espresso from Sylvia and seems like a fun ritual in the beginning.  I drink several cups with friends in the morning and when interupted by phone call or whatever and she cycles off ....then back again with pulling water till temp light comes on and stopwatch again...refilling reservoir again etc etc.  After 2 years it is a drag.  This system keeps the boiler at the exact temp you set and i would not hesitate to put it on anynew machine.  All connectors are perfectly done, nothing is left bare or undone and the whole thing could be reveresed without ever knowing it had been done.  I sound like I sell this thing but I am just a very impressed customer....very little of what you study and order ever turns out really good and this turned out great.
August
ultraman

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2007, 6:25am
Subject: Re:  PID Kit from Jim G. on  Silvia...FOLLOWUP-from 8-06 to date

still works great, absolutely no probems but what got me writing this morning is THE SERVICE.  Whenever I have had a question or a self-induced problem (like yesterday) Jim has been right there with a thorough answer.  I accidently left my steamer function on and ran the boiler dry, tripping an overload underneath wiring that I did not know existed-Jim was right there was an answer and a fix.  A GREAT PID SYSTEM AND A GREAT GUY TO DEAL WITH.
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Sat Mar 24, 2007, 7:43am
Subject: Re: PID Kit from Jim G. on  Silvia...FOLLOWUP-from 8-06 to date

The kits look great for anyone that doesn't want to have to do their own crimping and figuring out the wiring details, etc.  Just curious, which model PID did you get?  It would be nice to see a factory-installed PID with the Silvias just because it seems to improve the stability so well.  I was also thinking it might be kind of cool to install the PID in one of those two drawer Rancilio bases, but it would almost have to be in one of the drawer fronts as the gap between the two drawers isn't big enough for an install there.  If it was a bit wider I think that would be a great spot for one.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:10pm

Gah!  I really didn't need to see this...  Guess I'll be contacting Jim to get one now.
Perpetual_Buzz
Perpetual_Buzz

Espresso: Pimped Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: No drip, French Press
Roaster: Whirley Pop/Char-Broil Grill
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2007, 1:14pm

As an owner of one of Jim's kits since last August, all I can say is...GET ONE!!!  Easy to install and looks great.  The case for the controller perfectly matches Silvias exterior.  It definately improved my shots having a consistant temperature to work with.  Here's a pic of my coffee bar...I got the Watlow 935A controller.

Perpetual_Buzz: coffeebar.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Everybody needs an addiction.

I'm not addicted to coffee, I just have to have a cup EVERY morning.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > just installed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26337313652)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+