Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Heavily modified Krups espresso machine: $50 + spare junk parts = crema
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Heavily modified...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bkraz

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2007, 4:28pm
Subject: Heavily modified Krups espresso machine: $50 + spare junk parts = crema

http://www.magconcept.com/espresso/espresso_machine.jpg
http://www.magconcept.com/espresso/espresso_temp.jpg
http://www.magconcept.com/espresso/making_espresso.avi
http://www.magconcept.com/espresso/espresso_shot.jpg

Hello.  I am pretty new to the espresso world and would like to share a creation that I have been building in my home machine shop.  This device started life as a Krups FND-1 that I picked up at Sears for $40 (on sale).  I bought it without knowing much about espresso, but quickly learned that serious espresso drinkers consider this machine to be total junk.  As I understand it, there are a couple problems:  First, since the machine relies on steam to pressurize the water, the temperature of the water is necessarily too hot at 212*F or higher (under pressure).  Second, the total amount of pressure created is too low -- about 20 psi or less.  To address these problems I have outfitted the machine with some parts I had around the shop, and turned it into quite a beast!

The temperature of the water is controlled by a programmable meat thermometer.  The exact desired temperature and actual temperature is shown on a large LCD display.  There is a small amount of proportional control to this system:  As the water temperature climbs within 10*F of the set point, the heater is switched off and on at %50 duty cycle.

The pressure of the water is controlled by an air pump that came out of a 12V battery jumper box for cars.  These portable devices are used to jump-start cars and often include accessories like flashlights, compressors, etc.  The battery in mine had died, and I took the still-working compressor out of the unit.  Even though this is an air-only pump, it directly controls the water pressure by pumping air into the top of the boiler.  The water is taken from the bottom of the boiler, so no hot air escapes, only water.  There is no control circuit -- only a switch for the compressor and a gauge to monitor pressure.  The machine can easily pump up to 140 psi (over 9 bar).  

The whole system works very well (as near as I can tell with my limited espresso experience).  Please feel free to ask me questions.  Thanks -Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
RickB
RickB
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Francis X1, Gaggia Espresso,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 875, Steiner...
Vac Pot: 2 Many ! (50+)
Drip: Bunn STF-15
Roaster: Modified Poppery
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 8:22am
Subject: Re: Heavily modified Krups espresso machine: $50 + spare junk parts = crema

I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that.

But that shot pull looks terrible and scary. Doesn't look anything like espresso. The crema looks like the head on a beer.

If you put the work and money into a real machine you could be drinking real espresso.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but someone has to be truthful.
Beezer
Beezer
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: La Cimbali Max Hybrid
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 9:31am
Subject: Re: Heavily modified Krups espresso machine: $50 + spare junk parts = crema

Very creative.  However, I have to agree that the movie of your shot looks like it's still way too hot, and the shot pulls way too fast.  Watch how a shot from a good quality espresso machine pours.  It barely oozes out of the portfilter spouts like honey.  Your shot blasts out like it was fired out of a cannon, complete with steam.  The crema appears to be more from the turbulence of the coffee hitting the cup than from CO2 being released under pressure.  Maybe your machine needs a way to regulate pressure better, like an overpressure valve.
bkraz

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 4:58pm

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.  As I mentioned, I really have very little knowledge about making espresso -- I didn't know it was supposed to drip out slowly.  I figured the steam and froth were just extra fun parts of the process.  If you are interested, I re-tooled the machine and made another video:

http://www.magconcept.com/espresso/making_espresso2.avi
http://www.magconcept.com/espresso/crema.jpg

I noticed that the Krups machine has a little hole in a passageway that aspirates the hot water as it exits the boiler and enters the portafilter.  This must be their idea of a crema-making device.  As you point out, I was getting lots and lots of froth.  I plugged the hole, and now only get hot water into the top of the portafilter.  There is still crema, but I guess it looks a little more normal now.

Thanks for the input,  -Ben
RickB
RickB

Espresso: Francis X1, Gaggia Espresso,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 875, Steiner...
Vac Pot: 2 Many ! (50+)
Drip: Bunn STF-15
Roaster: Modified Poppery
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 5:55pm

I'll give you credit for ingenuity. But...it would be great if you had a machine with a pump.

Watch this video.
Click Here
RonTheMan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 7:48pm

It's commendable that you were able to to modify the machine to produce espresso. So, how's the taste?
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 8:03pm

Wow, man.  You must have an incredible noggin on your shoulders!  I'm scared to see what you'd do with a more conventional machine that is really tweakable, such as the Silvia or a Gaggia.

I'd be a little worried though about putting those kinds of pressures through that machine and that portafilter.  You could possibly end up having an incident like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tTDwFJB4gg

That's from this thread:
"Precisia - New PID-controlled machine on the market"?Page=4

bc

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
Pap

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 8:33pm

Click Here (www.soundamerica.com)

Pap: tim.jpg
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 8:52pm

Hi Ben,

I'm impressed.  

You didn't say what you are using for a grinder.  I have to believe that your creation will give a decient shot with a good grinder.

I didn't think of it until Brad brought it up but high pressure air is more scary than high pressure liquid as it will expand.  I recomend that you come up with some sort of "scatter shield" to place between yourself and the machine as you pull the shot.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moneymanager

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Tranquilo
Drip: FP & pour over
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2007, 5:26am

Excellent work Ben.  Now please apply that ingenuity to a real machine and things will be very interesting.  You're sadly limited by the machine so the resulting shot is somewhat irrelevant.  I think you realize you won't get "real" espresso out of that machine unless you turn it into a real espresso machine.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Heavily modified...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245438098907)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+