Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
As close as it gets to plumbing in, except not
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > As close as it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
oofnik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Gaggia Factory
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2007, 9:27pm
Subject: As close as it gets to plumbing in, except not

I'm really enjoying shots from my Wega Mininova that I just finished rebuilding. I've got it set up next to my sink. The water intake hose is connected to a 2.5 gal. water jug that I modified a bit so it is easily refillable by just gluing the top of a water bottle to a hole I cut out of the top. The drip tray has a plastic hose coming out of it that runs right into the sink drain. To refill, all I need to do is pull the head of my sink out (the head serves as a retractable spray nozzle like most sinks have separately) and fill the tank right up. I hope this might give others some ideas that are sick and tired of emptying out that drip tray or constantly having to refill their tiny tank, but plumbing isn't an option.

It's really amazing how much of a difference a real E61 HX machine can make. I'm in heaven. :-D

oofnik: IMG_2607.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Beezer
Beezer

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: La Cimbali Max Hybrid
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2007, 1:18pm
Subject: Re: As close as it gets to plumbing in, except not

Nice work!  I'd do something like that on my Anita, except my wife would kill me if I had that big bottle and tubing cluttering up her kitchen counters.
Sleepless
Sleepless

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 VII
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, KA Pro Line
Drip: Braun FlavorSelect
Roaster: Behmor 1600, HotTop
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2007, 1:33pm

I purchased a small float valve which I installed in my Saeco Classico water tank.
I then ran some plastic tubing from under my sink (I drilled a hole in my countertop in an inconspicuous place), connected to a two stage filter on the cold water supply.
I no longer need to keep filling up every day or so.  But I  do periodically dump out and clean the tank
This is MUCH less of a hassle than worrying about an empty water tank.

- Steve

"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by"
- Douglas Adams
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2007, 3:21pm

You did what I was about to do with my Expobar Pulsar Office....... but then I sold it when I purchased my next setup, which I ultimately fully plumbed. I'd guess that a float valve accessory would carry alot of liability for a reseller? Someone screws up the install, floods their floor, and then blames the mfg or distributor. I opted for manufacturing my own drain kit for the S1, and found after calling my supplier, that even their after-market kit had issues. I found it related to the inside diameter of the drain hose and also the point at which one connects to the drain. If you connect a small hose too high and close to the tray, there isn't enough "drop" for the water to auto-siphon and drain properly.

Best, Al

alsterling: Working Tools_lores_02 03 07.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oofnik

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2007, 7:17pm

Beezer - thanks. Might you be able to keep the tank under the cabinets perhaps? But then you'd still have to run the tubing somehow..

Steve - I agree, plumbing in would of course be the least hassle but this was intended to be the next best thing for those of us who can't drill holes in our countertops. I only need to fill up every 3 or 4 days anyway.

Al - very nice. I was considering the float valve thing but figured there really wasn't any advantage. And there would always be that slim chance that something would fail and my kitchen would be flooded while I was gone. Not good.

I've got a web album up for those who might be interested in the rebuild process.
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2007, 7:57pm

Jordan, I did your slide show on the Wega. I was impressed. I wonder how trips to "Graingers Supply" you had to make? I don't have that kind of patience anymore! Obviously, you're now this machine's "Primary Care Physician." I hear about used commercial rigs that can be had for a few bucks and then restored, but I've yet to try it. While I've got the tools and background, again, I don't think I've got the patience or am willing to take the time.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Squinnanian

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless
Vac Pot: Never worked Bodum Santos
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2007, 8:51pm

Was that machine dropped from a building before you restored it?!  Wow, very impressive slideshow.  Thank you for sharing that.
oofnik

Posted Sun Apr 1, 2007, 11:55am

Al, most of the parts came from various online espresso shops (Chris, EPNW, cafeparts). I got a few bits from McMaster-Carr. The main issue is the fact that everything in these machines is BSP and it's very difficult to get those parts without special ordering them.
I actually bought the machine as working, but whoever packaged it did a really bad job (understatement)... and it arrived like it did. I don't know how many feet up it was dropped from for that to happen, but miraculously, the frame absorbed all the damage and the boiler and everything inside was just fine.
It was a long process but in the end it was totally worth it. I got a commercial grade machine for about the price of a new Silvia!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > As close as it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431338071823)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+