Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Hamilton Beach w/ PID
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Hamilton Beach...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
chuggs

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Hamilton Beach w/PID
Grinder: Saeco Titan w/mod
Drip: Aeropress & Hario Slim Mill
Posted Sun Dec 28, 2008, 8:59am
Subject: Hamilton Beach w/ PID

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/865/dsc0406sv2.jpg

I was motivated by another individuals previous sucess with PID'ing this machine.  It makes a huge difference in performance.  His blog:

http://silk-purse-espresso.blogspot.com/

I wanted crema to flow from my Hamilton Beach machine...just like his!!

The Hamilton Beach machine does an okay job with Starbucks ESE pods right out of the box.  But it just doesn't get the water hot enough to take on ground espresso.  There seems to be a lot of variance...but mine would heat up to 197 degrees...shut off...coast up to 204...then back to 177 before the heater would cut back on.  Some people push the steam button after it gets hot...to surf the temperature up before pulling a shot.  The PID makes the machine so much more usable.  You can get the temperature exactly where you want it...shot after shot without temp surfing.  The temp readout on the PID also lets you see where the factory thermoswitches are set...I did this before bypassing the thermostat on the machine.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3093/dsc0409qz3.jpg

I just couldn't make the leap from my Old Steam machine & Moka Pot directly to a Rancilio ($$)...so this is my stepping stone to learn how to make "real" espresso...and I'm loving it!!

Charlie
 View Profile Link to this post
MMW

Posted Tue Dec 30, 2008, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: Hamilton Beach w/ PID

That's great.  I'm working through a thermoblock machine right now (Krups xp4050).  Did you follow the blogger's thought process/method to the 'T', or did you do something different?

-Mark
chuggs

Posted Wed Dec 31, 2008, 8:59am

Mark,

I followed his example almost exactly.

The only thing he did...that I didn't...was to put a fuse in the power line going to the PID.  I didn't feel it necessary...and I don't leave appliances plugged in when I'm not using them anyway.

I wound up getting a Saeco Burr mill from Costco.com...and modifying the ring setting to enable a finer grind...much like he did...but I believe he had a Solis Maestro.  They are very similar in design.

I even started with the Black Cat Espresso that he had good fortune with from Intelligensia Coffee...and I'm waiting on an order from Sweet Maria's.

I can take no credit for this...it's all Steve's ground work.  But I sure am enjoying the rewards of his efforts.

Hope that your PID project goes smoothly...and you're results are equally as enjoyable!!

Cheers,

Charlie
Stanner

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 9, 2009, 10:06pm

I performed the same thing earlier this year:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/vulumesky/SANY0288.jpg

Ignoring the smudgy shot glass, the results were quite alright:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/vulumesky/SANY0284.jpg
chuggs

Posted Sat Jan 10, 2009, 6:11am

Stanner...sweet set-up!!

I've GOT to get a knockbox...on my list!

I see you went to a Naked Portafilter...any pointers on cutting the bottom off the filter holder? (in case you busted any knuckles...maybe a clue as to how to avoid the busted knuckles)

I've got an order form from Hamilton Beach...gonna get a couple of extra filter holders, portafilters, and maybe a spare resevoir, in case I want to try to play around with modifying it to hook up to a water line. (am I lazy? or what?)

Thanks for the pics!

Charlie
lpranal

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2009, 9:46am

Good info.  Just got the last piece for my hamilton beach PID project in (the PID itself).  Before i rip this thing apart (it's my only machine currently) I'm just wondering if anyone has more info than is presented in that site above, possibly a wiring diagram- I found one for a silvia, which should work the same, I just have to figure which wires are what.  My concept of how this all works comes from this site:

http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee63.html

Any huge differences between the silvia and the HB as far as wiring the PID goes?
chuggs

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 1:08pm

Sorry...I haven't logged in for a while.  But for anyone interested.

UNPLUG the machine to prevent electrical shock while wiring!!!  IF you're not experienced working with electricity...best to get help from someone that is.

The HB machine is very easy to PID.  Probably the hardest thing is popping the top off...

The top is held on by two security screws.  If you lift the flap that covers the well for the Scoop/Tamper...and look carefully near the hinges...you'll see two little round impressions.  These are plugs that cover the access to the security screws.  A fine tipped phillips will remove these screws.  After you remove these...you'll be able to lift the cover up from the rear - foward.  There are a couple of tabs on the front edge of the cover that catch the housing.

There is a terminal block in the left hand side of the machine.  I added my wiring to this terminal block for power to the PID.  I used the rear post...far left and far right for switched power.  

Next, the top-front-left side of the thermoblock has the brew thermostat.  You just bypass that thermostat by jumping it to the SSR relay.  So, the relay terminals on the SSR replace the thermostat.

Finally, add your temp sensor onto the thermoblock to sense the temperature...

A couple of notes.  I used a radio shack project box.  It's easy to drill a couple of holes and use pop rivets to secure it to the left side of the machine.  Then you'll need to drill a passageway from the project box to the machine...make sure you take into account the location of the scoop/tamper well in the cover.  It can interfere with your wiring if you're not carefull.  Everything else is just like PID'ing the Silvia...

http://yfrog.com/j6dsc0227xmj

http://yfrog.com/14dsc0229mj

http://img18.imageshack.us/i/dsc0234bmh.jpg/

The pictures linked above show the screw wells with the plugs removed,  the terminal blocks, where my power is tapped from with the two black wires, there is an overall view where you'll see the thermostat with the spade connectors removed...and rerouted to male spade terminals at the ends of the red wires, and finally the copper colored coil of wire is the temperature sensor.

Hope this helps...

Additionally,  If you just purchased this machine...you might want to loosen the diffusion screen screw...and add food grade lubricant to it.  I have used mine for just over a year...and I went to remove the diffusor screen for cleaning --- and it's NOT coming off.  I suspect that it's corroded at the threads due to disimilar metals/ or possibly some type of thread sealer.  I cannot get mine off now.  I was able to descale the machine with citric acid...but the water flows unevenly from the diffusor now...which channels the coffee and doesn't allow for an even extraction.

Good luck!

Still scraping together some $$ to buy a Miss Silvia someday :)
CupCak3

Espresso: Isomac Relax
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 10:25am

Where are you guys getting the PID controller?  The ones I've found are ~$240.  The Yokagawa's don't seem to come up on eBay very often...
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 9:28pm

Preparing to do the same operation here. Popped the cover off today. First, those safety screw caps are a pain to get off, and then the triangular screws underneath are even worse! Managed to ease them out with a small slotted driver, and I'm definitely going to replace them with philips tomorrow. Anyway, looks like my water lines need some help; they're a shade of brown too, well, brown for my tastes. Any suggestions on tubing type and size? I may just pop off the lines in question and take them with me to check size, but if anyone has proper measurements, that'd be nice too.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aebejcek

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 9:30pm

I hadn't chimed in yet, but I did this to my HB.

I used a temperature controller from Auber Instruments. I think it was this one:

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

They also sell really inexpensive SSRs. Although the PID configuration is kind of "quirky", it has done its job well so far. I've been using it for about 1/2 a year now.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Hamilton Beach...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222795009613)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+