Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Yet another Silvia mod..
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Yet another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mani

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Campak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 7:43am
Subject: Re: Yet another Silvia mod..

Bezel is made by Electronic Assembly http://www.lcd-module.com/products/accessories.html

Regarding the reference, you don't need to use the internal. You can generate an external reference voltage of 1.5V or anything you like.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nathan

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Sat Mar 12, 2011, 12:55pm

So based on your information here, the stock Silvia operates somewhere between 85 and 100 Celsius? I'm trying to tune my Linux PID now, and its reading output so far is much much higher, so I might have to make some changes.
Nathan

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2011, 7:37pm

Did you implement a offset for the temperature? I read that usually it needs to be about 25F higher temperature because the outer boiler temperature registers higher heat than the interior (water)?

see here
mani

Posted Sun Mar 20, 2011, 9:49am

I did not implement an offset but maybe I should.
I am now using 97 Celsius outer boiler temperature as my setpoint but haven't had the time to fine tune it yet.
Nathan

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 6:21am

Okay, because according to the link I posted, it would mean your water is actually only 84degrees Celcius. I really don't personally know though, I've never worked with a PID and I don't have a accurate measurement device for my own calibrations.
mani

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 6:57am

Yes, it might be a bit cold if my setup has the same offset as the other pidkit.
I need to experiment with higher temperatures when there is time.

But I am not sure that my offset will be the same since I measured a maximum of 102C without PID which is only 216F. Is the original Silvia really that cold?
Nathan

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:29pm

Good point. Surely it could go in the other direction if you assume their offset is the same. And since the suggested offset of 14C is more than the entire band of useable temperature (85-96=11C) for coffee, you can easily overshoot. I'm looking at some PID kits that use a thermocouple, which doesn't mean that their readings are the same as mine at all. The only way to escape assumptions would be to measure. :-\
mani

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011, 3:32am

But how to measure the actual inner boiler temperature? Just measure the temp of the water that comes out in the cup or what?
Mudinyoureye

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 1:48pm

What a lovely piece of work, mani. About 15 years ago I worked to develop a PID control system for heat treating furnaces, +-10F at 1500F! It never occurred to me that my Silvia was simple ballistic (just like my high priced lousy Viking oven) and I could improve performance with PID. I totally refuse to build one from scratch as you did but would be most interested in anything in kit form. Got any tips? You want to make them for customers?

Results from my Silvia vary, and controlling the many variables is always a chore, we each have our little secrets I suspect; tamping pressure, grind size, humidity, water temperature and pressure, on and on. My goal is not to be a barista, rather to reproduce the same thing (good quality) each time. I'll keep posted here and hope that you come up with a simpler solution for the likes of me.

miye
 View Profile Link to this post
Bluedogbrewery

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 9:12pm

mani Said:

Never heard about TC4 but I found the skeleton for the PID code on the internet so it might be from that one.
The PID values are not in the source code because they are set from the menu.
Currently I am using:
P=9
I=0.7
D=135

But again, different implementations will have different values.

Posted March 7, 2011 link

Indeed.  I am seeing dramatically different coefficients for my PID setup.  At the moment, I'm still tuning, but I'm approaching something near:
P=2.6
I=0.02
D=0.5

Same machine (except my boiler is insulated),  very different PID (and therefore different algothrm implementation inside the controller)
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Yet another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244262933731)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+