Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia TE Rotary pump low pressure
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia TE Rotary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pinkpotato

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia TE Gaggia XD
Grinder: Iberital MC5/Cunill brasil
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 9:46am
Subject: Gaggia TE Rotary pump low pressure

Hi
Ive recently upgraded to the gaggia TE commercial machine, previously i had a basic consumer machine.

However ive noticed whenever i engage the rotary pump to pour a shot my pressure on the gauge only goes up to 4.5/5.0 bar where i believe it should be 9 bar.

Ive already tried adjusting the the adjustment screw on the side of the pump fully in and fully out yet it had no effect???

Any ideas?
Thanks

Gaggia TE 1 Grp Gaggia XD 1 grp Gaggia TE 2 Grp (Restoring) Iberital MC5
 View Profile Link to this post
fnacer

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 5:01pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia TE Rotary pump low pressure

If the machine has one, you'll want to check the OPV valve. If it's set to 5 bars, it will cause water to be diverted from the group to the drain so only 5 bars reach the group. The way to check for this is to look for clear water flowing into the drain while you are pulling the shot.
Jarviscochrane

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Livietta, Cremina
Grinder: Compak K6, Kyocera CM-45
Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 7:57pm

Is that 4-5 bars measured against a blind portafilter basket?

Rotary pumps require positive input pressure - usually 1-2 bars.  If your machine is plumbed in you should check your input pressure. If you are drawing from a tank (i'm not sure if this model has a onboard reservoir or not) you may want to consider a flojet to raise input pressure.

In addition to the previous reply re: OPV, also try to verify your guage is reading correctly by measuring brew pressure with a separate portafilter guage. There are a number of DIY portafilter guage threads using commonly available fittings. Mine has become an invaluable diagnosis tool.
pinkpotato

Posted Fri Jun 3, 2011, 2:36am

Hi thanks for the replies, ive already tried blanking off the line to the opv and it made no difference. Also i tried a different gauge (not a blind portafiter one) but where i diconnected the opv  i stuck a gauge on the end and it read the same pressure. Also my input water pressure is good 2-2.5bar. Ive tried lots of things, i think it might be the pump itself so ive ordered a new fluid o tech one from happy donkey as the original gaggia pump in the machine has a mfr date of 2001 :P

vogelsimon

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011, 6:34am

Any joy with the new pump?
pinkpotato

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 2:11pm

Just realised i never responded to this and as i've re entered the forum community i might as well tell everyone that yeah the new pump worked a treat and we got it nicely adjusted to 9 bar with the screw and lock nut on the side. We've been making delicious coffee ever since and love the machine.

Since i moved out about 6 months ago i've been suffering without it using the families old magimix domestic machine, hence the recent purchase of my gaggia xd and new grinder which are larrrrrvely! :D

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia TE Rotary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187150001526)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+