Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Adventures in Gaggia Evolution modding
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adventures in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ondrej

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 4:39am
Subject: Re: Adventures in Gaggia Evolution modding

or this one

ondrej: download.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:14am

That first picture you posted of the valve coming off the vibe pump is where you could adjust the pressure.  Turning the screw inside the part that points downward towards the reservoir will adjust it/  Counter clockwise (loosen) will reduce the brew pressure, clockwise will increase it.  But this valve is intended to be a safety pressure valve, not a pressure adjustment.
Another free mod would be to reroute the tube leading from the SPV into an external reservoir to avoid steam and hot water from draining back into the supply reservoir when the SPV fails (which it will...often).  Also, try taking the plastic "frothing aid" stuff off the steam wand, and using just the bare pipe to steam milk.  With practice, it will get you better results.
Temperature control is a challenge with the Evolution.  My method for temp surfing is wait till the green light comes on, open the steam valve and run the pump till you get 2 to 4 oz out.  Shut off the pump, close the steam valve, start the brew immediately after the green light comes back on.  Gives you hotter, more consistant brew temps.   You want even hotter, wait 3 to 5 seconds after the green light comes on.   Cooler, hit the brew 3 to 5 seconds before the green light comes on.
ondrej

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 12:06am

Thank you very much!made a significant change.
   Now...before postig on this site I took many shots and observed that through the spv valve was always a constat stream of water(not few drops or air)when warming up and rise a bit when brewing=>important pressure drop,so that is not self primig and I decidet to obstruct it.
   After the opv change and temp surfing I was able to pull a balanced coffee taste,eliminated that bitter-sour taste,great consitent foam,it's almoust sweet now...the fact is that now it's leaking (in the water tank)around that screw I released,since the change of taste happened,should I be concernedabout the leak?-maybe in the future i'll buy a manometer and make an objectiv adjustment
  Last I want to ask you about your grinder,it's at half the price of a peugeot brothers or zassenhaus mills...for espresso grind of course-how long until you grind 15 gr,do the burrs last in time,is the grind uniform?

andrei,
amufe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: EM0480
Drip: Hario
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 1:31am

the four hex socket screws around the group are so hard that i cant remove them,any other ways to open the top panel?
thank you
Doodee

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 1:55am

If you're opening the top of the machine then you shouldn't need to go near the group screws.
There is a plastic tab in the center of the top that can be popped off with a screwdriver.
After doing so you have access to the screw that keeps the top on.
Don't forget to turn the steamer control fully on so that you have some leeway to take the top off.
amufe

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: EM0480
Drip: Hario
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 2:24am

do i need to unlatch the four plastic tabs that hold the front panel down?
and i cant push the steam valve handle into the machine
fwtechwiz

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 5:27am

Yes, you need to unlatch the four tabs at the bottom of the front panel, then the top and front panel will lift off.
If you're thinking of working with the steam knob, you must remove the four allen bolts that hold the group onto the chassis, there is no other way.
try a few drops of penetrating oil on the bolt holes, thenuUse a hex socket and breaker bar to free up the allen bolts.

amufe Said:

do i need to unlatch the four plastic tabs that hold the front panel down?
and i cant push the steam valve handle into the machine

Posted September 3, 2012 link

suki

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 4:45pm

Hai, guys

I wish to change the steam wand to Silvia steam wand but the problem i meet is unscrew the nut at the wand. The brass nut is inside the case so do i need to open the case to unscrew it?

To open the case i need to open the four hex socket screws around the group right?so i can push in the steam knob.

If i screw back the four hex socket screws around the group do i need to put some thread locker back? If i don't will it effect anything?

Pls replay asap,Thk much ^^
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 5:12pm

The brass nut at the end should be just inside the case, and probably accessible from the top with top off.  It can be held with a long wrench and does not take much.  There is an o-ring that is the actual seal, not an overly tight nut.  I have a Classic, but still used a long wrench to stabilize the inside brass nut and then easily removed the wand nut on the outside.

I have not actually had seen your machine inside, only the parts diagram, so could be wrong.

The picture at the top of this page makes it seem likely.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
fwtechwiz

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 1:09am

Once you get the four hex screws off, push up on the group and in on the steam knob and the whole thing will push into the case, giving you room to remove the top.
He is correct, you have to access the steam wand nut from the top.  Use two wrenches, one to hold the fitting, one to turn the nut, or you'll twist off the brass pipe.

You won't need thread locker when you put the hex screws back in, just get them tight and you'll be fine.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adventures in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234550952911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+