Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Electrical shock from machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Electrical shock...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
irrelevancy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011, 9:46pm
Subject: Electrical shock from machine

Hi there

I bought an Andreja Premium a few months ago and it has been working fine. However, when I touched the machine this morning (after about 1 hour warmup via timer), I got a small electrical shock.

I thought it was some static of sorts, but continued to get shocked the next 3 times I touched it (from any part of the metal shell). Even after switching it off and on, the electric charge was still there. The machine still worked fine, just that I couldn't touch any metal parts with my bare hands.

I haven't moved it at all so there's no reason for something to have come loose. It's a european machine (240V) using a 2 pin plug.

I assume the next step is to open it up and look for a loose/bare wire?

Any other advice?

Thanks
Sing
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011, 10:26pm
Subject: Re: Electrical shock from machine

If it was a bare wire you probably would have been electrocuted. First, the machine should probably be grounded. I wonder if it had the incorrect plug installed? Was it new? I know many European appliances (at least in England) are sold without plugs due to lack of standardization.. at least it use to be that way.

Ungrounded... 240 volts.. no GFCI? I would have someone who knows what they are doing check it out. While it could be an inductive charge, it could also be a faulty heating element or other problem that will kill you. I have had a LOT of great coffee, but none I would literally die for.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011, 1:28am

frcn Said:

If it was a bare wire you probably would have been electrocuted. First, the machine should probably be grounded. I wonder if it had the incorrect plug installed? Was it new? I know many European appliances (at least in England) are sold without plugs due to lack of standardization.. at least it use to be that way.

Ungrounded... 240 volts.. no GFCI? I would have someone who knows what they are doing check it out. While it could be an inductive charge, it could also be a faulty heating element or other problem that will kill you. I have had a LOT of great coffee, but none I would literally die for.

Posted October 18, 2011 link

^ Yeah that.

As you're still getting shocks with it turned off, I would suspect it is static especially if you have synthetic flooring. Maybe try some different footwear and if that doesn't make a difference then you really need a voltmeter.

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011, 1:36am

frcn Said:

I know many European appliances (at least in England) are sold without plugs due to lack of standardization.. at least it use to be that way.

Posted October 18, 2011 link

Hi Randy, it used to be like that until the H&S nannies got their way... it was a gauge of your manhood how fast you could wire up a three-pin plug. Now they come moulded on (and probably inspected by someone in a hard hat, flouro vest and government licence).

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011, 6:22am

Ian Said:

Hi Randy, it used to be like that until the H&S nannies got their way... .

Posted October 19, 2011 link

I kind of thought so, but then wondered why an appliance that "mixes" water and line current wasn't grounded. With all the H&S concerns, laws, and regulations, it seems odd in this case. I wonder if the machine was purchased used, and the PO messed with it for some reason...?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
MattINLA

Posted Sun Nov 13, 2011, 8:13pm

LATE FOLLOW UP  I BET you are running into a very subtle problem I have run into as a professional espresso machine technician.  You may very well have a HEATING ELEMENT that is slightly shorting to ground - but still works FINE!  The TEST of this is - see if a GFCI trips with this machine, sure it does.  Disconnect the heating element if it no longer causes a shock, THIS is definitely the problem.
WobblyGoblin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 4:11am

You have probably solved the problem by now, but if not I may be able to help.

I think I had a similar problem - EU (2-pin) plug but plugging into UK (3-pin) sockets.  When my machine was turned on at the plug, but turned off on the machine I received a mild shock from the metal of the machine.  Just an unpleasant tingling.  When the machine was turned on the problem didn't occur.  After a bit of research online it seemed the most likely cause was a poorly grounded plug.  Sure, enough, I changed the plug adapter and the problem stopped.

I think this would be worth a try for you.  However, if in any doubt I would definitely call in an electrician - as someone previously said, coffee is great but probably not worth dying over.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 7:30am

Like I posted in my rebuild silvia thread, it still worked and heated the water but it isn't exactly isolated from contact with water anymore, causing a real hazard to anyone working with the machine.

calblacksmith: can i use it again.jpg
(Click for larger image)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 5:56pm

Hello, irrelevancy

Using a 2 pin plug for this machine is not a good idea. However - is it a "Schuko" type plug, which has the earth (ground) connectors not as pins but on the edge of the plug ? - if so, not all plug converters on the market (especially the "travel" ones) connect to these properly, and it leaves you with an unearthed appliance.  Fully connecting converters can be bought though.

Best solutions (in no particular order):-

Have the plug replaced with a proper 3-pin plug. I think the standard in Singapore is a 3 flat pin fused plug the same as we use in the UK ? If you live in a country that uses fused plugs (they are fused for a very good reason which is to do with the type of cabling structure used in those countries), you must never use a non-fused plug on an appliance, unless it is used via a fused plug converter.

Have the machine checked over by someone with a meter that is able to detect even tiny current leakages (from the heater element in particular).

Run the device only from a socket which is RCD (Residual Current Device) protected, or use a plug-in type RCD unit between the socket and the plug of the appliance. If this trips, there is definitely a current leakage somewhere which has to be fixed.  Most likely suspect is the heater.

Please don't take risks with 230v - or any voltage for that matter - I was always taught "Volts only jolts, it's mills that kills".

Hope you get it all safely sorted out.
Wayne99Rob

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: R58
Grinder: mini mazzer electronic
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 7:14am

My Gaggia 120 volt was doing the same thing.
Service tech said the hot and neutral wires were reversed.
Not sure if this would apply for the 240 volt.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Electrical shock...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280921936035)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+