Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 24 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:12pm
Subject: Re: PID Controller supplies and How To Install PID on Gaggia

i have this one. def not top of the line haha

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I actually just got in the post so im holding it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6SqGcXYmLw

helpful brit video ha. Good test touching the probes for a beep. now i know my dmm works. what are some good tests around the house. ha.

IT has a diode tester and all mine appear to work.

I also now have my crimper, wires (50 ft 22awg and 16 ft 14awg), all connectors but the piggybacks. just waiting on the auber stuff, chargers and piggybacks. supposed to come friday.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:01pm

brianl Said:

Good test touching the probes for a beep. now i know my dmm works. what are some good tests around the house. ha.

IT has a diode tester and all mine appear to work.

I also now have my crimper, wires (50 ft 22awg and 16 ft 14awg), all connectors but the piggybacks. just waiting on the auber stuff, chargers and piggybacks. supposed to come friday.

Posted February 27, 2013 link

Fun new toy the DMM.  As noted you can plug the 2 probes into a socket and tell if the socket is working, obviously select the proper AC range.  Nice to know before you are going to work on an outlet.  You will figure uses.  If you have any chargers with plugs like this, you can measure DC output.  Center is positive, but no matter if you reverse the probes.

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

You can start making wires, not all have piggybacks :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:09pm

D4F Said:

Fun new toy the DMM.  As noted you can plug the 2 probes into a socket and tell if the socket is working, obviously select the proper AC range.  Nice to know before you are going to work on an outlet.  You will figure uses.  If you have any chargers with plugs like this, you can measure DC output.  Center is positive, but no matter if you reverse the probes.

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

You can start making wires, not all have piggybacks :)

Posted February 27, 2013 link

so the 14 awg wires are forks on both sides? one plugs into what was on the old thermostat and the other sides are the SSR? about 2 feet long each?
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:01pm

Red wire is load wire, male spades on one end and forks or rings the other.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832954%40N00/2330218796

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:23pm

whenever i Google the spade connector I mostly see the fork come up. But you mean Click Here (www.ebay.com) ? So a fork wont work as well connected to the plug that was attached to the old thermostat?

the ones like that listing I haven't see around the places i've shopped.
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:35pm

Here is the Tstst that you replace.  The connectors are male spade equivalents.  

http://www.espressoparts.com/GI_356?&search_id=2019188

Part 67 the rear plug that you connect to, male spade equivalent

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

as the back of the switch.  All are 6.2mm or 0.250" wide spades.  They make a solid connection with the female spades.

Click Here (www.aapexonline.com)

The forks will work well for screw in, and rings work better though you have to take the screw out to put the ring in.  Some forks will work ok with female spades, but I would not use them for the load wires, the 14 awg.

The 0.250 wide forks will fit, but I question the load on the 14 awg.

Sorry, I should have noted that the ones that you show on Ebay are correct blade, 0.250", but only up to 16awg.  You need the next size up, 14 awg, and probably 0.250" for 22 awg, though you might get by with the forked ones for the low volt low amps.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:51pm

okay. I just wanted to verify.

I have some 14 AWG fork connectors. is the flat male spade better because it has better surface area or what would be the difference that affects the load wire (not as snug?)?

Just trying to understand why the fork is not good for a load wire. knowledge is power, ha.

The piggybacks will all have the flat spade terminal so it's just the rest that connect to the SSR and the two load wires.

so these guys? Click Here (www.ebay.com)
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:02pm

I find the spades with more grip.  Some of the wide fork connectors may mate up ok, but I think that when you have a female connector in hand and match a fork and a regular spade you will see the difference.  The spade, in theory, should have more contact along the flat surface.  Mechanically, it is also stronger to push together.  Try the fork and the back plug male spades for comparison and if it seems ok you may try it.  

The fork will clearly carry the load when clamped properly, such as in the screw type SSR fitting.  You can fit it and decide.

I believe that my spades are the 16 - 14 awg similar to your new ebay listing.

Sorry, I thought you realized in my photos that I was using the non-forked males.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 7:04am

At the cost of 4 bucks, I went ahead and picked up those spades in the listing because I cant find them elsewhere.

It's not your fault, it's just the internet and my Google searches use the fork and the flat spade synonymous.

I definitely saw in your photos but since they are both referred to as both spades i thought both were fine. Thanks for clearing it all up because I want the best connections.

Where would I need a 22 AWG male spade (not fork)? Take into consideration that male spades are on all the 22 AWG piggybacks that i bought. just wanted to see if their purchase is necessary.

thanks!
D4F

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:11pm

I am not sure that the 22 awg spades are necessary.  I used the spades to make line breaks in the output of the power supplies.  I can remove or change a power supply without going back the PID controller or unwrapping the wire bundle to the controller.  That may be overkill, but I did it that way.  I was able to remove the power supply and subsitute the Iphone charger without having to chase wire to the controller and/or SSR.  Put a Male or Female spade on the positive DC output and a female on the other, say 4 - 6" of output line and then the mate on the lines, the 22 awg.  Similar to this previous photo. You could just solder 22 awg onto the cut off charger leads and leave those breaks out.

D4F: Charger with Extensions.jpg
(Click for larger image)

D4F also at
showing page 24 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263993024826)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+