Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 29 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 8:42pm
Subject: Re: PID Controller Instructions and How To Install PID on Gaggia & Steam

I have the three SSR+ with diodes and the SSR- without.

What would the INTY be? PT100 or Cu50?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 8:45pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic PID Install and PID Controller Instructions

INTY is P100 I think I show P 100

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 8:52pm
Subject: Re: PID Controller Instructions and How To Install PID on Gaggia & Steam

It looks like now it shows EEEE.

So it doesnt matter which of the two wires from RTD go into 8 or 9? Because both look to be clear. So the 22 AWG jumper from 9 to 10 looks fine.

No idea whats going on now.

The ends of both RTD wires has some plastic or something over it, not bare wire. Is this the part thats supposed to be in the PID terminal or the actual wire?
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 8:57pm

Either wire to 8, 9 on the RTD.  Jumper 9-10.  It should show EEEE if RTD or jumper not connected.  It may have taken a bit for it to recognize the change.

Check all terminal for wire strands out of the connector causing a short.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 9:01pm

okay. silly me. i didn't notice the plastic booty things on the end of the RTD wires. took them off and it seems to work now. haha

I turn the steam switch on. it goes up to around 285 and cycles over and under it. I think you said it's because it doesnt use an algorithm.

I turn the brew switch on. It goes up to around 255 and cycles over and under it. Also, i think you said its because it doesnt use an algorithm.

The regular on/off switch seems to shoot up to like 230 randomly. EDIT: I changed the PID parameters and it seems to be around 214 more.

The lights also stopped blinking and its now just a steady on. EDIT: It looks like it only blinks when it is heating up.
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 9:21pm

Blinks are power blips.  PID blips are variable as needed to maintain.  Steam switch will act differently in timing of lights as it adds power.  

Did you set P, I, and D?

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 9:23pm

NO CHEMEX FOR ME TOMORROW! HAHA

It seems to be working now. thanks for all your help! All I have left is some window dressing so it's not a hideous mess. Now I want one of those project boxes. basically an additional $30 (including shipping). Click Here (www.auberins.com)
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 9:39pm

In a couple of days you will want to tighten the SSR screws and PID screws.  The wires can crush a bit and it is worth a check.  I will be interested to hear how it works.  You may want to understand the PID controller as you get time to read the manual.  

You can raise the P, and I and D to help damp out the PID portion if it oscillated much.  I get up about 222F with initial heating and oscillate a little up and down.

Expect a fair amount of oscillation with brew switch and steam.  Brew especially as you are getting cold water in so a fair fall as heat goes off.

To get full intrashot help, you need to blip steam  for a few seconds prior to pull, so I guess you get to read and understand the thread :)

You did great.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:01pm

Ill keep learning but Im glad you stuck with me because this was my first PID project.

The only thing i noted now was a hissing sound when I turn the steam on. I'm not sure if this is okay or not. It goes to temperature fine. Could this be cause by inadvertent wire rubbing against the 285 degree boiler? Or maybe the sound of the SSR dissipating heat? it's just weird and I want to figure it out before i put the top on and take it out of mind.
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:11pm

Hiss or a slight noise from the controller? You should not have a wire touching the boiler.  I used zipties to control the wires.  Tie the wires to existing wires, not to metal.  Is the noise related to heat or just power on?

I do not leave the steam switch on without opening the steam valve.  The heat cycle on and off is higher than before so more pressure.  Steam leak through the wand?  Steam through the group?

D4F also at
showing page 29 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226181983948)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+