Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
No Steam From Gaggia Baby Twin Steam Wand
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > No Steam From...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Kex

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia: Coffee & Baby Twin
Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Line
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 5:36pm
Subject: Re: No Steam From Gaggia Baby Twin Steam Wand

Well, it's interesting to finally read of similar experiences from another user!

I got a "temporary" replacement Gaggia on eBay, so that I could stop drinking drip coffee, and I haven't really followed up on the Baby Twin dilemma, but the last time I tried it, it worked perfectly and I couldn't see where it ever managed to leak from. I did my testing with the machine propped up outside its housing so that everything was visible the whole time, and my conclusion has been (1) that scale must have caused blockages in the narrow passages of the the thermoblock boiler, (2) those blockages caused leaks that would not have occurred otherwise (even though I only used filtered water), and (3) descaling thoroughly must have cleared those blockages. I should have tested before descaling, I suppose, to verify the theory, but descaling is usually the first step of any attempts at troubleshooting.

I'll eventually buy the necessary replacement parts from Importika. Their prices were better than those available from web distributors. I'll just replace the boiler, which was about $70-80 or so, and maybe the corroded "foot" (which is purely cosmetic, of course). Strangely, perhaps, I still really like this machine, but I'm going to experiment with another eBay purchase, a Classic, and see if I think I need to add an adjustable OPV or not.

Using a single boiler Gaggia with no solenoid is a bit messy (too much dripping during warm up and flushing the group after use) and tedious (too much waiting before steaming) for my liking.
 View Profile Link to this post
TexSanity
TexSanity
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis!Francis! X3
Grinder: LUX
Vac Pot: some day
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:11pm

Autopsy photo #1 from Gaggia Baby Twin.

Top View

Note: Machine is upside down.  This is the steam thermoblock, not the hot water boiler.

TexSanity: gaggia2.JPG
(Click for larger image)
TexSanity
TexSanity

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:12pm

Autopsy photo #2 from Gaggia Baby Twin.

Side with corroded electrical connections.

Note: Machine is upside down.  This is the steam thermoblock, not the hot water boiler.

TexSanity: Gaggia1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
TexSanity
TexSanity

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:13pm

Autopsy photo #3 from Gaggia Baby Twin.

Other side of Thermoblock.

TexSanity: gaggia3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Kex

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia: Coffee & Baby Twin
Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Line
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 5:25pm

Yup, TexSanity, that looks very similar to what I found in mine.

As I mentioned earlier, it'll really cost you about $100 to get it working again (with a replacement boiler). Quite a bit more than that depending on how much you replace. For example, there was so much corrosion on the lower painted aluminum base itself that I was considering replacing that as well. I never ordered, unfortunately (I just got busy, and my project stalled), but here are some of the prices I was quoted:

- Bleckman Boiler: $55
- Mounting bracket (that holds the boiler: $3.25
- Thermostat (which they recommend replacing): $17
- Shipping charge to Los Angeles, CA: $6

The boiler is OEM, I believe, and about $20-30 less than other Internet suppliers, I think. You probably need some nuts, bolts and screws that will have corroded through, if yours is like mine (which certainly seems to be the case). There may be other parts that you might want, depending on whether or not you can rescue the wiring, in particular, or wish to repair some cosmetic defects that were caused by the corrosion.

Personally, I think that machine is WELL WORTH SAVING if everything else is still working.

One question, though: have you been descaling? I use citric acid now, because it's cheap and effective, even though my water is always filtered. Filtered water may still leave some limescale deposits. I buy it on eBay, in bags that last about a year or so, for about $10.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > No Steam From...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229367017746)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+