Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Silvia Pump Repair and Replacement Tutorial
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia Pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tommco
tommco
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:38am
Subject: Silvia Pump Repair and Replacement Tutorial

Several days ago, I posted about a problem I was having with my Silvia, and as I suspected, it turned out to be the pump. I wasn't able to find concise instructions on how to remove the pump; only general guidelines and no pics, and even though it wasn't too difficult, I kind of stumbled through it. I was able to rebuild the pump with some helpful instructions regarding a Starbucks Barista, but even that was a little different than my experience.

All in all, I was successful, but I was thinking it might be handy to have a concise, step by step tutorial of sorts, with pics, of how to replace or repair the pump, specifically on a Rancilio Silvia, if enough people were interested. If there already is one, please forgive me for my ignorance -- I searched and searched. For that reason, I wouldn't mind putting one together if the coffeegeek community felt that this was a worthy project. So, if anyone is interested, please reply here, and if more than one or two people are interested, then I will try to put something together.

Cheers.
 View Profile Link to this post
eustachi

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:04am
Subject: Re: Silvia Pump Repair and Replacement Tutorial

Definitely interested as the pump on my Silvia is faulty, and from what I've seen online it's easy enough to dismantle and clean it.

For me it would be helpful to know what pre-requisites are involved, e.g. how to drain the water from the Silvia, and also how to repair the OPV as well.

So a big +1 from me.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 11:00am

Silvia is a simple girl, she only asks for a little love and attention and she stays happy.
Remove the cup warmer and water tank and nearly everything you need to get at for disassembly is open to you. A few screws and the case back is off, allowing you to access everything you need to see for the pump. A couple more screws and the front cover comes off after you remove the steam knob.

You might want to look at my rebuild thread for a peak inside, I did not do a step by step but once you see inside, you should not be quite so apprehensive about it.

There isn't much on disassembly but I do take a lot of pics going back together.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/547829

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tommco
tommco

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:06pm

Even though it is pretty straightforward, I know from my own experience that it's always nice when someone spells out the nuances/details of something like this. Problem is, my wife's due to have a baby in the next two weeks, so I'm not sure if/when I'll be able to get to it in the near future. I'll try to post something soon, but can't make any guarantees at this point! :-(
eustachi

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:13pm

I'd initially just like to find out how to drain the Silvia of water, which I assume is necessary before removing the pump, or am I mistaken on this?
tommco
tommco

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 1:34pm

I'm pretty sure it's safe to take the tubes out of the water (being careful of course not to mix electricity with water), turn the machine on, and run the pump for about 10 seconds until you hear the noise change to more of a chattering noise. At least that's what I did, with no ill effects. I'm not a technician, so if it damages anything, please don't blame me!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 2:24pm

Yes, remove the tubes from the water tank and remove the water tank from the machine, you should do this from time to time to wash it anyway.

On the other hand, there is no problem with water in the boiler when removing the pump, you might get a dribble from the disconnected tube but if you are ready for it, you should have no issues, just keep a towel handy to mop up the few oz of water that leaks out.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tommco
tommco

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 3:05pm

Yep, if you have any reservations about running the pump dry, like calblacksmith says, it's not like a ton of water is going to come out anyway.
Aerotec

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Sylvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 7:04am

I just replaced my pump and took a moment to write up a replacement guide. Hope it helps someone out.

Click Here (aerotec73.wordpress.com)
tommco
tommco

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:38pm

Thanks for posting Aerotec. That would've made my life a little easier a couple of months ago! I would simply add that someone may want to try rebuilding before replacing. I found instructions on how to rebuild an Ulka on a Starbucks Barista, which I then applied to the Ulka on my Silvia, and it was really quite simple. I soaked the parts in vinegar for a couple of hours, and behold, the pump was like new again. That, coupled with your instructions on replacement, and everyone should be good to go.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Silvia Pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242011070251)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+