Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
What if it's not the pump?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What if it's not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Guigui
Guigui
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 2:29pm
Subject: Re: What if it's not the pump?

So I took my machine to a shop nearby to get it cleaned and finally it does need a new pump... and new gaskets. The guy charges me 120$ for everything (cleaning, pump, gaskets, time). I can probably do all this myself but I wonder if the price of the parts is worth it. I paid the machine 50$ used.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
brianash

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 3:17pm

I have the same machine, and it works perfectly.  I just bought a Gaggia Classic as an upgrade.  The Splendida is a nice and hefty machine with really nice rocker switches, but I wanted a larger 58mm portafilter, and something with an OPV (the Splendida does not have one).

If you are interested, I will sell you my Splendida for $100 + shipping.  If you are near Sacramento, you could pick it up or check it out first.  I will include my rattleware aluminum tamper:http://www.espressosupply.com/catalog/tamper-aluminum-53mm.
I have modded the machine by wrapping a length of copper tubing around the boiler/grouphead, allowing the water to pre-heat - this allows it to have better temperature stability, and faster time between shots.  If you have your current machine for spare parts, you will be pretty set if anything ever goes wrong on this one.

Regarding fixing it yourself - I don't know how much a pump by itself costs, but if you are moderately handy, you can replace the pump yourself.  It is really just simple plumbing, with pressure-fittings.  I had a little bit of a hard time finding the right pressure fittings when I added the copper line, as everything is metric - i.e. not available at home depot.  The pump is a standard ULKA pump, which is in most home machines, so you shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding it.

As far as your question about not being able to fill the portafilter - mine has that same lame bolt sticking down, so I have learned how much coffee I can put in the basket before tamping so that the puck is not disrupted by the bolt.  Pretty lame design flaw, but you can work around it by using less coffee in the basket.

Please let me know if you are interested in purchasing my machine, or if you needed any tips on yours.
toContactDiabolik007

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 12:50pm

Any chance you can send me pictures of both your machines GuiGui & Brianasch to my email Address which you will find on my Blog (in the header).

By the way, here is the leaflet:
http://www.giordanorobbiati.com/2013/07/model-automatic.html

Looks like mine was sold under another name by the family Robbiati:
http://www.giordanorobbiati.com/2013/07/atomic-model-automatic-coffee-machine_11.html
http://www.giordanorobbiati.com/2013/07/atomic-model-automatic-coffee-machine_7179.html

Looking forward to the pictures!!!!
Many thanks in advance,
Mik
brianash

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 8:54am

Pretty cool. I like it in red.
I don't have mine anymore - I gave it to a friend. I will try to get some pics when I see my friend. I may have some on my computer as well.
The handle on the portafilter looked a little different - it was flatter, and smooth.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What if it's not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.183330059052)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+