Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Oscar leaking from expansion valve
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Oscar leaking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:41am
Subject: Oscar leaking from expansion valve

hello everyone.

hoping someone can help me figure this out.

My oscar is leaking from the expansion valve that is connected to the grouphead.  

When the machine is getting up to temperature, i can see and hear water coming out between the group and the valve.

I tightened down the valve as far as i can, to the point of stripping the copper so i'm pretty sure it's as far as it can go.

Also, this is a new expansion valve.

Am i missing something that would better seal the threads to the group?

What ends up happening is that it slowly leaks enough to cause water to accumulate on the bottom of the case and then eventually leaks out.  Also wreaking rust havoc on the bottom of the metal frame.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 4:08am
Subject: Re: Oscar leaking from expansion valve

Basically it's normal that small amounts of water leak from the expansion valve (not the 3-way-valve!) during heating up or after shots. For how long have you had the Oscar? About how much water are we talking about? Is this behaviour new?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 6:01am

Just asking here, are you referring to a vacuum breaker valve? They normally leak until pressure builds up but the Oscar does not have one when it comes from the factory, if it has one it has been added by someone.

If that is not what you are talking about, nevermind.

That said, I had an Oscar for over a year and it NEVER had any sort of pressure or water leak on heat up, well until I added a vacuum breaker anyway, then it operated normally for a machine with a vacuum breaker. bleeding pressure until the boiler heated to the point of producing steajm which then closed the vacuum breaker and the machine heated normally and did not leak water or pressure from anyplace.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 7:55am

i attached a pic of the stock expansion valve.  It's leaking from the threads and down onto the hot water line and then down to case and then mostly into the drip tray.  with the drip tray removed, i can build up a good sized puddle from just one shot.

i've had this oscar for about a month now but i bought it used.  looks like it hadnt been taken care of well before it got to me.  the expansion valve on it is brand new as i had an issue with the old one where it would clog and wouldnt release pressure.  I think this  started after i replaced the valve.

frank828: 269_269_2954_oscargroup.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:19pm

I'm sorry for my confusion, I forgot about that valve on the Oscar.

You say it is from the threads, I know I have had brass fittings fail when tightened too tight. I had one under my kitchen sink crack and it started dripping, not fast but steady, we didn't see that it was leaking for who knows how long until the water came out from under the hard wood floor on the opposite side of the kitchen, flooding the underlayment and all, a real mess just because the fitting was a LITTLE over tight and had a delayed crack after being overtightened.

Is it possible you over tightened and cracked either the fitting or the group head? On brass fittings (I learned the hard way) you need a good thread sealant and then only tighten enough to not leak, that extra 1/8 turn for luck..... sometimes isn't so lucky!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frank828

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:42pm

Hmm...originally I didn't have the valve on very tight and it was leaking.  Then I decided to go as tight as could and that didn't help either.  

...its probably overtightened at this point
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 8:42pm

Call NS they will help you over the phone.  I can't think of a reason it should be leaking if it is new.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Oscar leaking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215708971024)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+