Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Adding my PID to Silvia, a few pictures
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adding my PID to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:07am
Subject: Adding my PID to Silvia, a few pictures

I picked up the PID kit from Auber and it works great!  This is just a few of the points I found that I needed to take extra attention to.  I was real scared to do this but after getting into it there was nothing to worry about.  

This pic is the relay...there is tons of room inside even with the black splash guard.

Burd: 20120919_140314.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burd
Burd

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:13am
Subject: Re: Adding my PID to Silvia, a few pictures

Here is the new thermostat.  The one that I rook off was the one with the red dot, the brew control one.  The other stayed on.  The silicone heat transfer compound,white pastey stuff under thermostat, Auber sent with which was nice.

Burd: 20120919_143619.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Burd
Burd

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:23am

There is a million wires inside and when you add the PID wires it can get messy.  I did my best to clean it up and added a ton of wire ties.  I was afraid of letting wires touch the boiler and steam tube.  I guess it's better to be safe than end up with a melted pile of wires.

I think they could have sent more than 5 wire ties for OCD people like myself.

Burd: 20120919_150019.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Burd
Burd

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:35am

....and the job is done.  Everything works and no sparks and I didn't get shocked.  I will say to anyone thinking of doing this, wow it was so easy.  The pdf Auber sends is dead on with what to do.  The one thing I noticed about the instructions, when you get near the end and feed the wire out of the case next to the steam wand hole if you are not careful they spread all over the place.  I am supposed to put all of the case back on minus the cup warmer piece.  I did it in this order then after seeing a sloppy rats nest of wires sticking out the front I took the back off again.  With the back off, once I had the unit tapped up and all done ready to go, I easily reached in and put a wire tie around the bunch right before it exits the inside.  After I did this looking at the front everything is neat and tidy.  It doesn't hurt anything or take any extra time if you leave the back off until you are completely done.

Now instead of temp surfing and wasting time trying to get it right I am now using that time to sit and enjoy my creation instead of thinking about what I will try different next time.

Alex

Burd: 20120920_130247.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:53pm

wow, your machine looks just like mine!
Or is that my machine looks just like yours :O
Yes, the job is not as hard as we imagine it to be, Auber does a great job of step by step and the instructions are very easy to follow.

Like you, I used a LOT more ties than what came with the kit, they are cheep and I really like making things neat.

Congrats!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adding my PID to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222173929214)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+