Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancilio Silvia Shower screen screw snapped
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
theonetruepath

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 7:41pm
Subject: Rancilio Silvia Shower screen screw snapped

So my group head gasket finally gave up.
It was leaking every shot, I gave it a few months to come good on its own and no surprise it didn't.
Six years is pretty good going from one gasket. It was split right through and completely brittle so it came out in pieces as it wouldn't bend:
Click Here (i1214.photobucket.com)

Unfortunately it seems I have had a habit of over-tightening the shower screen screw, it snapped as I removed it:

Close-up:

Any ideas how I go about removing the stub?

I can't quite get vise-grips in there to grab the end...

I put a PID on it a few years back, definitely recommend it:
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:21am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Shower screen screw snapped

Look for a vice grip or pliers that have a smaller tip or grind what you have to fit. You should be able to turn it if you can grip it. If for whatever reason you can not get to it, the only other choice would be to remove the GH from the machine and drill it then use a screw extractor or drill it out and put a thread insert in the oversize hole, neither of these later two options are as good as the first and the best option moving on from now is to not crank down on that screw! It really only needs to be snug, not tight at all but, as they say, that is water under the bridge now.

OH, btw, that gasket should be changed about every 6 months or so, buy a few so they are on hand and you save the shipping cost.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 11:15am

I can't see the pics (it's me, not you) but - can you use a cut-off wheel on a Dremel to make a slot in the end of what's left of the screw/ Then use a flat tip screwdriver to get it out? A similar approach has worked for me in the past on other snapped screws.

There's also a product called "PB Blaster" that works wonders for freeing up bolts on cars, much better than WD-40 or similar as it's actually intended for the job. This is different as you're not freeing up something rusted together, but I wonder if it might still help?

Just some ideas to consider...
theonetruepath

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 12:55pm

calblacksmith Said:

Look for a vice grip or pliers that have a smaller tip or grind what you have to fit. You should be able to turn it if you can grip it. If for whatever reason you can not get to it, the only other choice would be to remove the GH from the machine and drill it then use a screw extractor or drill it out and put a thread insert in the oversize hole, neither of these later two options are as good as the first and the best option moving on from now is to not crank down on that screw! It really only needs to be snug, not tight at all but, as they say, that is water under the bridge now.

OH, btw, that gasket should be changed about every 6 months or so, buy a few so they are on hand and you save the shipping cost.

Posted November 1, 2012 link

tracerbullet Said:

I can't see the pics (it's me, not you) but - can you use a cut-off wheel on a Dremel to make a slot in the end of what's left of the screw/ Then use a flat tip screwdriver to get it out? A similar approach has worked for me in the past on other snapped screws.

There's also a product called "PB Blaster" that works wonders for freeing up bolts on cars, much better than WD-40 or similar as it's actually intended for the job. This is different as you're not freeing up something rusted together, but I wonder if it might still help?

Just some ideas to consider...

Posted November 1, 2012 link

Thanks guys

I might try a combination of these methods... I think the stub is too small to cut a slot in it, but a dremel might allow me to put two flat edges onto the stub so I can grip it with suitably small pliers. I always wanted an excuse to buy a dremel...

I've had that spare gasket for the last five years...

Closeup pic attached, that might work better. Wow 75kb limit, had to smash it down to almost nothing...

theonetruepath: D81_0989LSHAtiny.jpg
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:04pm

Mine comes out easily hot, not so easy cold.  Heat will possibly help free up residue or change the tightness of the metals.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
theonetruepath

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 1:24am

OK so I got a dremel ($40 with flex extension and a bunch of tools, expected to last maybe two weeks if I don't use it too often).

Cut down the screw so I could get a grip with vise grip bought especially for the job.

Got a nice tight grip, then used another set of pliers to hold the vise grips together firmly while I gently turned the screw which promptly sheared off flush.

One more go, I'll cut a slot in brass and screw both with a narrow dremel disk. If that doesn't work I guess this things getting chopped up for parts.
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 4:05am

theonetruepath Said:

One more go, I'll cut a slot in brass and screw both with a narrow dremel disk. If that doesn't work I guess this things getting chopped up for parts.

Posted November 2, 2012 link

If there's still a thread or two exposed then you might be able to epoxy a nut on the end.  Use an oversized waxed paper "washer" against the brass to prevent bonding to the group, then glob some JB Weld onto the stud, and thread a nut on as far as possible.  Let it set up than try removing with a socket.

Don't scrap the machine.  Worst case, you can replace the brass grouphead assembly.  Best case you can drill out the stud once the grouphead is removed from the machine.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
earlds
earlds
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 7:06pm

Im afraid I have a similar problem in that my screw head is wallowed out ,has been for a while.So today
I cut a whole in the bottom plate so I can easily drill it and remove the screw with an easy out or rethread it.Next time Ill find a stainless steel screw .Im letting it sit overnight with a couple of drops of thread oil on the screw.
Don
earlds
earlds
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 5:06pm

Well I have a hole in the bottom of my Silvia but ten minutes later it has a new screw.Easy outs are your friends..
theonetruepath

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 5:26am

All because of one screw... I now have a brand new Rancilio Silvia with PID controller transferred and an old Silvia for spares. Actually it still works, makes coffee just the same if you carefully put the shower screen and distributor washer on top of the grounds after tamping.

The new one is nice and shiny though...

I know a lot of people would have taken the opportunity to upgrade to a dual boiler/rotary pump/jet powered/atomic machine, but my coffee making technique suits this machine rather well... I never use the steam, I microwave my milk and sugar for a precise length of time and draw the shot straight into that. Never miss all that foam and scorched milk taste...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294124126434)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+