Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Steam LEVER upgrade for Oscar
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Steam LEVER...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 2:57pm
Subject: Re: Steam LEVER upgrade for Oscar

success!

this went even easier than i expected.  I did not have to cut or permanently modify anything.  Everything almost fit right in.

The toughest part was to tighten down a hex bolt because of minimal clearance which would have been remedied if i had a stubby 2.5mm hex key (like these   Click Here (www.amazon.com) ).

In summary, it involves assembling the valve like the NS Aurelia part diagram shows.and directly replacing it onto where oscar's stock valve is(also want to remove the steam wand and screw it into the new valve body).   You'll want to keep the lever assembly off while installing the new valve onto the machine.  Once everything is on, you want to properly align and tighten down the lever.

This video will show you how to reassemble and how to align the lever.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOsD6qZNik

The tough part that I mentioned is because there is very little room for a regular sized L hex key to fit while you're trying to tighten the lever to the valve.  I had to loosen the front plastic panel(dont remove it because you cant get it back on if the lever is attached) to give a little extra room.   I think i'll buy a stubby hex key and retighten it down as the lever is slightly loose from not being able to get my regular hex to fit in the limited space.  

I've taken pics and i'll attach if anyone has any questions

frank828: rsz_1rsz_11rsz_120121108_132210.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 3:20pm

Really nice, I will have to do this when I break my machine down after Christmas.  Less than 100 is really a good deal for this upgrade.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 3:24pm

i'm surprised i havent seen this done before.  The whole install would probably take me less than 10 minutes now that i know what to do.  Just figuring out which parts were needed took the longest.

now that i can turn the steam on and off so fast...i have to relearn the timing of it all over again.  haha  :P
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 9:54pm

Sounds great can't wait to try it.

Coffeenoobie

frank828

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 6:37pm

just an update on my thoughts about this mod.  I LOVE it.  LOVE IT.  hahah

i recently got to play with a WBC NS Aurelia and it pretty much had the same steaming experience as my oscar.

The control of being able to stop the steam with a flick of the lever is an awesome thing.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 2:25pm

I am glad to hear it.  With the stock tip on Oscar I have so much steam I am done so fast the mod would really help.

Coffeenoobie

plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 2:10am

To access the allen head adjustment screw of the steam fork, remove the top cover and  then drill a small hole through the side of the front plastic.
The top cover will cover the hole when reassembled.

I was unable to access the momentary or purge function the the lever arm, (push up) without removing  a lot of material for the lever arm.

I had the same idea as fank828 but went about it differently. As the steam fork was  able to fit the old (threaded) and new style (unthreaded). I ordered the piston, O rings, and steam fork, and lever arm, 3/8 BSPP nut.
Bored out screw threads of the old valve body turned a bushing for the piston and pressed the new bushing in the old valve body.
Put the nut on the valve body, adjusted the steam fork and lever, tightened the nut against the metal back plate of the front cover.
That moves the steam wand  back from the front edge of the underside of the top cover. Put 2  bends in the pipe from the  boiler to the valve body so there was no strain on the front cover.

Yet to complete, trying to fit different lever assembly. The idea is to use the original steam knob as a cover...
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:23pm

Screenshots or it did not happen.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 3:11pm

My Oscar steam wand and tip are beat up and brass is showing, should I order an Oscar again or an Aurelia wand?

Coffeenoobie

frank828

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 3:14pm

i dont remember exactly, but i think they might be the same wand.  best to cross reference the parts diagrams.  i would do it for you but i have to run to work right now.

careful not to get something too long(although i wish the wand was longer) because you might not be able to get it to fit above the drip tray.

to be safe, i'd probably go with the oscar wand.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Steam LEVER...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253720998764)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+