Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Divapid
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Divapid  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
thatdivapidguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:23pm
Subject: Re: Divapid

Re: overkill - the PID is designed to fit just about any machine. Inside is a plug, you plug in the wiring harness for your particular model... this will control multiple boilers, pumps, solenoids etc. Just get the app for your machine. We started on the Silvia because it's a machine I know and love. Also I had one in stock to drill a hole into the base for the wiring ;-)

PWM is ready for the pump, the Triacs are integrated this way specifically so I could control pump pressure at a later date. But I'm waiting to see if this is a viable enterprise before investing more time and money on the project.

Re OPV - the strength of using the app is I can switch it either way in minutes, or just put an option in the settings for you to choose.
 View Profile Link to this post
j_alvan

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 12:36am

But I'm waiting to see if this is a viable enterprise before investing more time and money on the project

as an upgrade kit i'm not sure it seems too complicated to install for common non technical man. but as a coffee startup it has a great value if i were a manufacturer who haven't implemented in house PID already i would certainly jump on the wagon an buy this startup since today almost all high quality machines are going the PID way
thatdivapidguy

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:39pm

I wanted to show something that sets a computer driven controller apart, so I took a quick video of the backflush program. It's shot on a phone, so not the clearest video or best sound, but you'll get the idea. The screen actually counts down and has feedback as you go.

I know you could just manually press the buttons to do the same thing, but once you've done this using your phone... well it's just kinda cool.

Anyhow, check it out.

Backflush with the phone
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 9:24pm

HI,
Self promotion is against the rules but after the subject has been brought up I am very sure it is OK to answer questions but not actively promote sales.

The phone as the brains, OK, now it is a little more clear how you put so much in the box at that price.

Interesting idea, if I had not already done a PID upgrade to a Sylvia for work, I would be seriously asking you about this. Is the flow meter just a magnetic counter that pulses out to your interface?

A cheep tablet could be an answer like you said. Then again, an old blue tooth android smartphone would work too. I have an old Droid 1 in my odds and ends drawer that isn't being used anymore and isn't worth enough to put up for sale. Those would also be another source for powering the system and you would not need to worry about being interrupted by a call. The "smart" part of the phone works even if the phone part isn't being used anymore.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
thatdivapidguy

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:24am

The flow meter is a standard coffee flow meter, so yes, a hall sensor with a magnet inside.
The Android device counts the pulses and reacts as programmed in the app.
Eg, this also counts the total water since the last descale, or any other volumetric functions.

Yes, old smart phones are ideal. The device will provide power through the USB if it's permanently attached, so you don't get a flat battery.

With the self promotion, at this stage there's not a product, I'm more interested in feedback and possibilities. What's good, what's bad, what works etc. I'd love to get to the stage where I can do some self promotion.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:33am

I think you are on to something.
If something has gears and levers, I can pretty much get it going and understand it, I do understand circuit logic but at this stage in life, I don't have a lot of time to get into designing circuits ect. Just the interface and flow meter, giving you volumetric dosing would be very valuable and to all I know, volumetric dosing isn't an option that is available for adding into a machine that does not have it as an add on device.

There really is quite a bit of processing power in a smart phone so dedicated temp regulation need not be built into the machine, only the interface for the phone to control the heater and flow.

If you can get a working prototype out, I would be very interested in giving it a workout and adding it to a SBDU, heck, I would even scrounge up a SBDU to put it on if I had my hands on the developmental model for this thing.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Divapid  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194794178009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+