Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Pump "lag" and temperature flux running water tests out of Silvia portafilter
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Pump "lag" and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
worldzfree

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:30am
Subject: Pump "lag" and temperature flux running water tests out of Silvia portafilter

I have been trying to troubleshoot some extraction issues I have been having as of late and decided to use my Thermapen and just monitor the  water extraction out of the portafilter.  The setup is:

2001 Silvia with Auber PID installed and set to 228 degrees
Newer Rancilio Silvia Portafilter with double spout
Stock Silvia Double Portafilter

Two things I have noticed that I wanted to get feedback from you all on are:

1.  I start the water flowing out of the empty portafilter and then there is fast flow for the first four seconds.  Then for a couple seconds the flow reduces down to almost nothing.  It then starts flowing again but not at the intensity of the initial flow.  Here's a video I took of the flow.

http://youtu.be/bM7NYXNbo0Y?hd=1

1.  Having the PID set at 228 I get right around 200 coming out of the portafilter at the start of my timing.  By the time I get to about 25 seconds I am seeing around 179.

Appreciate any insight.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:26am
Subject: Re: running water tests out of Silvia portafilter

Without the PF, what does the flow look like?
It may be a faulty OP valve or the pump may be dirty and in need of replacement. There isn't much else in the pressure system.

When was the last time the machine was descaled? If there is a heavy buildup of scale in the boiler, the heater can not operate properly and you will not be able to heat the water fast enough, the Sylvia has a fairly small boiler and it is very dependent on high heat output from the heater, if the heater has a coating of scale on it, it can not flow heat fast enough to keep up with the fresh water entering the boiler.

There even may be some sludge moving into the water path, slowing down the water flow.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
worldzfree

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:03pm

I just now ran the water without the portafilter.  It looks like it is flowing pretty well.  I made a small video of that as well.  

http://youtu.be/eqv2rI_tgeo?hd=1

Is the pump servicable?  I don't mind taking it apart to clean it out.  I just recently installed the PID and during that time I replaced the OP valve with the adjustable one.  I put a pressure gauge on the portafilter and set the OP valve so I saw around 9 barr at the portafilter.  

I have always used filtered Brita water in the machine and have descaled on and off over the years.  Not entirely consistent.  About 8 months ago I started getting into a regular Dezcal routine about every two months.  Is the pump serviceable?  I don't mind taking it apart to clean it out.  Tell me more about the sludge?  Scale sludge or something else?

Appreciate the insight!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:14pm

There are internet articles and perhaps CG on vib pump take apart and fix.  Here is one

Click Here (ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com)

Measure the volume out in 30 seconds, and repeat that out of a wide open wand with pump running.  Find the flow rate.  A healthy ulka pump is about 10cc/sec.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve

Standard PID use stabilizes the idle temperature, and does not prevent intrashot drop.  Stabilized machine and water temperature help, but you may need to blip the steam switch for a couple seconds just before the shot.  Gaggia is a little different in specifics, but similar idea.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
worldzfree

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 7:31pm
Subject: Re: Pump "lag" and temp flux running water tests out of Silvia portafilter

Thanks for the info.  I took some measurements from both the grouphead and the wand.  It looks to be close to the 10cc/sec you stated.  

The intrashop drop is interesting.  I am new to really looking into all this but is it pretty standard for a Silvia to have a temperature drop from ~200 to high 170's by the end of the extraction?
D4F

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 7:42pm
Subject: Re: Pump "lag" and temp flux running water tests out of Silvia portafilter

How are you measuring those temperatures?  That seems like too much drop for a stable warmed up Silvia.

http://www.pidkits.com/thermofilter.html

You mentioned 25 seconds of run, but what volume out.  That volume is also cold water into the boiler.  A double espresso could be about 50 - 60 ml in 25 seconds and that should not give much temperature drop in a temperature stable fully warmed Silvia.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 7:46pm

I also forgot to ask, have you removed the dispersion screen and cleaned the screen and group?  That may change the flow and look of water coming out.  Suggested above by Calblacksmith.

D4F also at
worldzfree

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 8:26pm

]

I also forgot to ask, have you removed the dispersion screen and cleaned the screen and group?

I did my test with the screen in but, yes, both have been verified clean (the screen is new).

How are you measuring those temperatures?

I am using a ThermoWork Thermapen and have the tip of the Thermapen sitting directly under the screen as the water comes out.  

You mentioned 25 seconds of run, but what volume out.  That volume is also cold water into the boiler.  A double espresso could be about 50 - 60 ml in 25 seconds and that should not give much temperature drop in a temperature stable fully warmed Silvia.

Doh!  I guess this makes sense.  I was getting ~250ml with just the portafilter off and running.  I will need to run some tests with actual coffee in place.  The whole reason I started posting about this is that I am trying, in vain, to troubleshoot sour shots I am getting and, from what I have read, a lower temperature can cause this.  

I should mention I also spent some time today disassembling and reassembling the pump as well as opening up the boiler and taking a look.  They both look pretty good (pictures linked below).

Click Here (s460.photobucket.com)

Perhaps I should start over in describing my problem but since it's an older machine I just wanted to make sure it was operating within parameters before I really start banging my head against the wall.
D4F

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 8:35pm

I guessed about the volume.  I wanted similar info for the Gaggia and it is not simple.  You need a thermocouple over the lip of the PF with a normal brew, or something to simulate the puck and flow.  See Scace thermofilter.  I made a thermofilter.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/588424

Your fun is just starting :)

D4F also at
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Pump "lag" and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230198144913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+