Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
trouble with Gaggia Classic, and questions
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > trouble with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 3:11pm
Subject: Re: trouble with Gaggia Classic, and questions

How much does the steam wand drip?  Are you losing water and then turning on the pump to a slightly empty tank?  Put a cup under the wand when you are leaving it on for while and quantify?  Resistance against the pump can make noise vary.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
CRW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 8:57am

doesn't seem to drip much at all. After sitting for an hour, only a few drops if any. But by that time, the feed tube was half full of air and the pump couldn't draw the water up anymore. Maybe I just shouldn't leave it sitting idle for that time. It wasn't intentional, I was gonna make another coffee and got distracted. But it usually works when it starts off cold when you first turn it on. And it never gave me this trouble for the first 3 months or so that I had it. Is there away to know if the pump is going bad? It DOES work at least some of the time. Also, I've checked the hoses and not found a kink or damage. But if there WAS a leaky hose, wouldn't I see water in the mechanical compartment?
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 9:31am

Many machines use the same or similar vib pumps, so perhaps the non-Gaggia folks can chime in.  To have air in a line, there is obviously an entry point and the pump is pulling air or air water mix.  You are not finding a leak inside the machine.  How about a pinhole in the uptake line above your normal waterline?  Just a thought.

D4F also at
CRW

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 6:44pm

I'm gonna check again, even though the hoses look good. But I can't help wondering why it would work some times, and not others. Mainly after it's sat for a while, with the machine "ON", But when I first turn it on, I can run water thru both the steam wand and group without any trouble.
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 7:20pm

I have used silicone type tubing in other hobbies.  A pin hole can be difficult to find, but should if there, it may be at a clamp area or where it passes through the frame, a contact area.  Does it happen with a full tank?

When the pump does not draw, will it start again if you just open the steam wand?

Run it with the top off once and see if you see anything.  Should be ok if you do not stick your hand in.

D4F also at
CRW

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 7:45pm

yeah I've had the top off, seen the air in the line.  Opening the steam wand doesn't help. I usually keep the reservoir at least half full so there's never any chance of it sucking air thru the forked bottom end of the hose. The hose doesn't pass thru the frame, there is a separate tube on top and bottom, each clamped onto the opposite end of a plastic fitting that is attached to the metal bottom of the mechanical housing. When there is air in the line, you can watch the water trying to go up the tube from the reservoir and getting part way and stopping. I have taken a bulb syringe and manually pumped water up the tube into the pump until it kicks in and starts running thru the group. Then I run a little more with the tube stuck in a cup, and when it seems like it's working, I quickly slide the reservoir back into place, and fill it back up and run it again. If all goes well, I make a coffee, and possibly another in a little while. But if I wait too long in between, air somehow gets back in the line and I'm back to square one...
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 9:12pm

I think I can finally visualize your machine.  I have a single tube from the pump to the bottom of the reservoir, no breaks.  A second tube goes from the OPV to the bottom of the tank.  No other fittings and no breaks.  Just holes in the floor for the tubea to pass through.  If I understand correctly, you have a tube from pump to floor fitting, and then a tube from the fitting to the bottom of the tank.  It that is correct, then I suspect a lealking fitting, or a pinhole at the tube-fitting.  That may be why I never understood the OPV to reservoir as you described it.  Mine has a tube as described, OPV to reservoir bottom.  Hmm, wonder why they emiminated the fitting??  Suppose leaks?

I still may not understand the set up, but I think that is what you described.  If you look here

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

no fittings are shown, only tubes at to the OPV and pump, 35 and 48.

D4F also at
CRW

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 9:52pm

OK, right. I looked at that diagram before, and was a little confused as to how they drew the tubes. So you have a solid tube going from your OPV thru the floor and to the bottom of the reservoir? Mine is a black tube going to a fitting that penetrates the floor, and no tube on the underside, just the fitting above the reservoir.  I thought I had seen, maybe in a video clip, I can't remember, 2 tubes going to the reservoir bottom. But mine doesn't have that. Mine is maybe 9-10 years old. The original owner bought it new from a Starbucks, used it for 1-2 years, and then packed it away for 8 years. Then she was moving and wanted to get rid of it. So I got it for $80. I never had one like this; I had a cheap Krups pump driven machine before. So I'm a little unfamiliar with the mechanics of this. But I'm starting to learn.
D4F

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 12:52pm

Same for the pump?  I have a semiclear silicone tube from the pump to reservoir bottom.  Other type tubes, clamps, and fittings can leak and could be the source of air leak.  It still could be the pump.  There are threads on pump removal and disassembly.  I still think there must be an air leak, you see air in the line.  What is the resevoir to pump hose, clearish silicone or other?  Is there a fitting and clamps?  Picture?

D4F also at
CRW

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 3:27pm

no, the tube from the pump (or to the pump) is semi clear, with a spring inside part of it to hold the shape. it goes from the pump to the floor of the compartment and onto a fitting that penetrates the floor. A second clear tube is clamped to the other side of the fitting and goes to the bottom of the reservoir. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to take a lot more stuff apart to figure this out. Thing is, I can manually inject water into the feed tube and I don't see any water leaking inside the housing.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > trouble with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213808059692)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+