Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 5:49pm
Subject: Re: V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?

My V3 steam wand arrived!!!  It's as beefy as a commercial steam wand.  I'm sure I will be happy with the modification.

But, I should have waited until it arrived.  Now I find the the V3 comes with a teflon gasket, with a recess specifically for it.  That's all nice and all, but in order to use it, I would need a 1" hex stock rather than a 3/4" hex stock.  Oh well.  I was just trying to keep the bulk down since the stock Classic wand fitting is not that big.

Anyway, at least I have it now and will refine the design.  Hopefully I'll be able to machine it soon.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
 View Profile Link to this post
daduck748

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 3:33pm

I didn't have the Classic wand yesterday to take pictures.  And I forgot to take the V3 home, so here's the picture just to compare.

Now I'm thinking I will have to buy or make a stand to get the machine up about 4-5 inches.  It's sitting way too low right now anyway.

And my 1/8-3/8 adapter got delayed in New Jersey.  Darn online Christmas shoppers!

daduck748: IMG_2112[1].jpg
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 2:21pm

Wow, who knew the Christmas holiday would be so busy.  I haven't had a chance to make that adapter yet, and I had to order yet another BSP adapter from espressoparts since mine was "stuck in New Jersey".  I still haven't gotten it yet.  I called EspressoParts and they said, "Hmmm..."

Ok, well, the second adapter I ordered won't work.  For the life of me, I don't know why I got the 1/8M-1/4M BSP adapter.  Sigh.  I got on the phone with EspressoParts and spoke to Stephanie (if I remember correctly).  She said since the parts are so cheap and I didn't need them, she would credit me for both adapters.  How cool!  She will apply my credit towards the V_1422 (1/8M to 3/8M BSP), not the V_529 that I got off another forum thread.  I just hope I'm not waiting another couple weeks for these parts.

Here's a picture of the wrong part (V_529) and a 3/8 NPT coupler (just for reference).  No, the 3/8 NPT will not go into the V3 steam wand.  It will turn in about 1 1/2 turn and that's it, barely 1/8" or so.  I took a thread gauge to the 3/8 NPT and 1.5 (M18-1.5 is the spec) is JUST a little bigger and 1.25 is a bit too small, so no, a 3/8 NPT will not work for this application.  The 3/8" BSP MAY work, since it's not a tapered thread like NPT, but we'll see about the thread size, as I wrote about in a previous email.

Hurry up and wait.  The part that blows the most... the wife is starting to complain that the coffee is too cold for her.  The Breville milk frother only goes to 180F (about 5 minutes later) and once it reached that, it shuts off.  I'm not even sure if it's getting that hot anymore.

Stay tuned!

daduck748: IMG_2182[1].jpg
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:15pm

OK, I got the 1/8M to 3/8M BSP (V_1422) adapters today.  I bought 2, just in case.  Luckily I did order 2, otherwise I couldn't take comparative pictures.

So this picture shows the alleged Gaggia Classic steam wand (M10-1.0 thread) with a M10-1.0 nut on it (all the way down).  On the right side, we have the V_1422, direct from EspressoParts.  Clearly, it doesn't fit.  It only goes roughly 3.5 turns and seizes.  This  MAY or MAY not cause issues, but I think if you want to make sure it doesn't leak water or steam, it probably needs to go as far as it can.  This is how the V_529 fit on the Classic when I took it home for a test fit the other night.

In the middle is a V_1422 that I chased with a M10-1.0 die.  I spun it on my manual lathe with a die (no need to program anything) and took all of 2 minutes.  Now the M10-1.0 nut fits all the way down, with no hiccups or seizures.

Now to modify the Silvia end.  Some of you who have already attempted this with the EspressoParts adapter may be saying, "The 3/8M BSP goes right on and needs no modifications".  True, but not true.  I already did a test fit and from what I can tell, you CAN and probably WILL damage the ball-end on the steam wand.

daduck748: IMG_2197.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:37pm

OK, I think we're done with the Gaggia Classic to Rancilio Silvia V3 steam wand conversion (using EspressoParts V_1422 adapter).

On the left is the modified adapter and the unmodified one on the right.  Sorry for the blurry images, but it is what it is.  There's nothing to really see.  M10-1.0 and 1/8 BSP is so slightly similar and different that the only thing you'd see different is the fresh cut brass sheen on the modified part.

daduck748: IMG_2198.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:42pm

Here is a photo of the Silvia end of the adapters.

Of course, the part on the left is the modified part and the unmodified part on the right.

This was again cut on a manual lathe with nothing more than a 1/2" endmill right down the center, at 1/2" deep.  If you want more spring tension, you can probably cut a little less.  The spring tension seems comfortable to me.  We'll see when I take this baby for a real test run.

Anyone wanting to do this, it's pretty easy to do.  You can probably do it with a 1/2" drill bit but the key is the smooth walls.  It might not seem like a big deal but with the spring moving around, you could get brass chips in your coffee.  :(

The only modification I might want to do with this is cut it shorter just a little bit to make sure the brass adapter doesn't touch the ball end of the steam wand.

daduck748: IMG_2199.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:45pm

Same picture with the spring and the tension ring, just for illustration and clarification.  Nothing more to say except when everything is pushed in, the white tension plate sticks out about 1/16", which is good because you don't want to the ball end to go metal-on-metal.  Hence, my previous comment about possibly cutting it shorter by a teen weeny.

daduck748: IMG_2200.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:50pm

Here it is - installed.  The spring and tension ring are inside with the adapter all the way in.  With the adapter all the way in, you can still push the wand in, which means it is NOT touching the adapter.  YAY!

So, the only mod to this from what I can see right now is not cutting the 1/2" hole too deep to get more tension.

The assembly here is obviously a few inches from the table and everything is holding themselves together by spring tension.

Probably everything will be teflon taped, since I don't think the M10-1.0 end is long enough to reach the end of the fitting on the Classic.

Now to make foam!  My foam will probably blow for a few days until I get the hang of it.

Anyway, I'll post a picture of it on the machine when I get home.

With this pretty much done, I may not have to make my own.  Again, anyone wanting to do this, you have to chase the Gaggia end (M10-1.0) with a M10-1.0 tap, otherwise you'll only get it in about 1/8", which isn't much at all.  Don't force it or you could damage your machine.  I like my coffee too much to risk it. :P

daduck748: IMG_2201.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 1:58pm

daduck748 Said:

She will apply my credit towards the V_1422 (1/8M to 3/8M BSP), not the V_529 that I got off another forum thread.  I just hope I'm not waiting another couple weeks for these parts.

Here's a picture of the wrong part (V_1422) and a 3/8 NPT coupler (just for reference).  

Posted January 4, 2013 link

daduck748 Said:

OK, I got the 1/8M to 3/8M BSP (V_1422) adapters today.  I bought 2, just in case.  Luckily I did order 2, otherwise I couldn't take comparative pictures.

So this picture shows the alleged Gaggia Classic steam wand (M10-1.0 thread) with a M10-1.0 nut on it (all the way down).  On the right side, we have the V_1422, direct from EspressoParts.  Clearly, it doesn't fit.  It only goes roughly 3.5 turns and seizes.  This  MAY or MAY not cause issues, but I think if you want to make sure it doesn't leak water or steam, it probably needs to go as far as it can.  This is how the V_529 fit on the Classic when I took it home for a test fit the other night.

In the middle is a V_1422 that I chased with a M10-1.0 die.  I spun it on my manual lathe with a die (no need to program anything) and took all of 2 minutes.  Now the M10-1.0 nut fits all the way down, with no hiccups or seizures.

Now to modify the Silvia end.  Some of you who have already attempted this with the EspressoParts adapter may be saying, "The 3/8M BSP goes right on and needs no modifications".  True, but not true.  I already did a test fit and from what I can tell, you CAN and probably WILL damage the ball-end on the steam wand.

Posted January 7, 2013 link

daduck748 Said:

OK, I think we're done with the Gaggia Classic to Rancilio Silvia V3 steam wand conversion (using EspressoParts V_1422 adapter).

On the left is the modified adapter and the unmodified one on the right.  Sorry for the blurry images, but it is what it is.  There's nothing to really see.  M10-1.0 and 1/8 BSP is so slightly similar and different that the only thing you'd see different is the fresh cut brass sheen on the modified part.

daduck748 Said:

Here it is - installed.  The spring and tension ring are inside with the adapter all the way in.  With the adapter all the way in, you can still push the wand in, which means it is NOT touching the adapter.  YAY!

So, the only mod to this from what I can see right now is not cutting the 1/2" hole too deep to get more tension.

The assembly here is obviously a few inches from the table and everything is holding themselves together by spring tension.

Probably everything will be teflon taped, since I don't think the M10-1.0 end is long enough to reach the end of the fitting on the Classic.

Now to make foam!  My foam will probably blow for a few days until I get the hang of it.

Anyway, I'll post a picture of it on the machine when I get home.

With this pretty much done, I may not have to make my own.  Again, anyone wanting to do this, you have to chase the Gaggia end (M10-1.0) with a M10-1.0 tap, otherwise you'll only get it in about 1/8", which isn't much at all.

I like what you did but am confused in a few spots.  V-1422 was right and wrong part in the first post??  Run a M10-1.0 die, above post, and tap at the end post??  I am not sure that you did or did not change anything on the 3/8 end to the threads.  

Is the short version to get part V-1422, run a M10-1.0 die on the small end and enlarge the 3/8 end hole with a 1/2" end mill to accept the spring/valve.  Are the spring and valve pad included with the wand or separate purchase?  

Is the tip threaded on/in the wand and can you shorten the wand a little and rethread?

I look forward to your pictures and follow up on use.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 4:02pm

Sorry about the confusion.  I was never good with part numbers.

I just verified with EspressoParts and the V_1422 is the correct part.  It should read 3/8M to 1/8M BSP.

I didn't have to do anything with the threads on the 3/8 side.  It fit fairly well, not too loose, not too tight.  Being a design engineer and machinist, I tend to like things more on the snug side, but this adapter is ok (on the 3/8 end).

So on the 1/8 side, it is not quit M10-1.0 so I had to chase it with a M10-1.0 die.

On the 3/8 side, no need to modify the threads, just bore the hole out to 1/2" diameter and just under 1/2" deep.  That's pretty much it.

I bored the hole on my manual lathe which made things a lot easier.  Everything lined up and no material chatter.  If doing it manually, I would recommend using a vise to hold the adapter.

The spring and pad came with the wand.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
showing page 4 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322268009186)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+