Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Advise on the best PID kit for Silvia V3
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Advise on the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 8:42am
Subject: Advise on the best PID kit for Silvia V3

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Silvia and I am loving it.  I may consider installing a PID to enhance the machine but I would like to know how hard it is to install as well as the best PID kit.  I have read that some malfunction after a while and I want Pre infusion as well as brew & steam temp change.  I am looking for a kit that is more of a plug and play in case I decide to sell my machine in the future and I don't need to do a lot to reverse the install.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Advise on the best PID kit for Silvia V3

The wiring of a "kit" may look something like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832954%40N00/2330218796

That shows typical reversible connectors.  It is mostly "plug in" and soldering or crimping is done on the added wires.  I had a great experience with Auber on my Gaggia.  I made my own wiring and bought the PID.  I am not using pre-infusion.  I found it fairly easy to install using various diagrams and a DMM.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

Auber kit for Silvia
Click Here (www.auberins.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 8:18pm

I just did this and documented it here
"full Silvia rebuild and minor mod with pics."
The paid install is on the last page. I used the Auber kit without preinfusion but as said above there is a kit with it.
It is an easy plug and play install.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeee
coffeeee
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 11:06pm

welcome to PID

As far as I know Auber and PidSilvia offer kits that includes all you'll need for 'easy' assembly.
'easy' still means some technical and electrical skills are needed as it involves altering Silvia.

If you have the skills you might also look at other solutions that involves creating your own setup
that's what I did and documented here
With custom PIDing you might end up cheaper and with much more fun...

Preinfusion is somehow not delivering its expectations on Silvia,  I have it on my Silvia but I personally
didn't find any taste improvement when using it, so I don't use it anymore ;-(

Good luck

Coffee is not a drink...it is an adventure...
Author of Rancilio Silvia Mega-Mod and Rocky Timer Mod (see my website)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 5:36am

Thanks everyone!

I know I can find a regular PID on ebay for next to nothing as well as an SSR and the connectors are also easy to get.  I just figured that if I wanted the ramp/soak/timer options those PID's cost at least $100+ so whynot go all out and make it easy on myself.  Is it true that if I found a pid that would allow for me to gain steam control it will increase steam power?
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 9:38am

Burner0000 Said:

I know I can find a regular PID on ebay for next to nothing as well as an SSR and the connectors are also easy to get.  I just figured that if I wanted the ramp/soak/timer options those PID's cost at least $100+ so whynot go all out and make it easy on myself.  Is it true that if I found a pid that would allow for me to gain steam control it will increase steam power?

Posted January 1, 2013 link

A PID with PID algorithm controlled output and one alarm output will allow for steam control.  Steam control is a convenience that allows you to set the on-off temperature and keep it in a fairly narrow range. You can do the same with the steam switch by guessing temperature or measuring boiler temperature.  Steam is temperature/pressure dependent, so "power" is up to you to control temperature, or with PID.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

You might look at the Auber site at just the PIDs, not kits to get an idea of functions available.  Is pre-infusion that important to you?

Easy and fun to hook up the PID and use tha alarm function for steam.  There are other ways to pre-infuse, but not as clean as the one box PID.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:29am

To be honest not really.  I was going to buy a CC1 before buying my Silvia and I am looking to see if a PID will give me the same bells and whistles.  I guess if I could choose being able to set temp range for both brew and temp and save to the PID would be nice. Shot timer would be a plus.  Pre infuion I can do myself.  I am looking for a cheaper option than $200 range.  Not worth it if it's that much.  Regular shots are pretty good so far.

For example.  Can I only set one high low limit temp with this?

Click Here
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:41am

Auber PID for about $40 depending on which and RTD sensor for about $25, or K thermocouple for about $5.  If you do not feel the need to use a box, then save some money there.  Auber fitted box is about $25 and then SSR.  I got the SSR from Auber because it was quick and on same shipping, but you can Ebay it.  

The typical wiring photo that I sent earlier will give you a good idea of the wiring.  You should fairly easily do a PID for brew and steam for under $100.  The amount of savings depends somewhat on your shopping and savings.

Tasseloff did some of the supply track down and install here, only a few months ago.  He is Canada as far as his supply options.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:54am

OK cool.  I would just like to make sure That a regular PID will allow for set temps for both brew and temp so I don't have to set every time.
I keep seeing deals like this that incl all but the wires for 15A which I have.

Click Here
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 11:07am

Burner0000 Said:

Can I only set one high low limit temp with this?

Click Here

Posted January 1, 2013 link

Many, not all of the units allow for a PID function and an alarm function, or two.  The PID function is for brew-idle and the alarm for steam.  The alarm has to allow high low limits to set so that it turns off at the low limit and off at the high limit IIRC.  You are using a fucntion that normally triggers an alarm to turn on and off the heater and want control between the temperatures not outside of the tempertures. Some inexpensive units seem to allow alarm/on-off or PID function, not both.  The Auber 1/32 din worked fine and I used it initially and then switched to their 1/16 din for PID function and 2 alarms, both with the limits that I wanted.  Auber has several 1/16 din units including ramp soak.  I learned from reading the different Auber specs and then tried to compare to those as you show.  I could not always tell what what I would get off Ebay, though I thought that they might work.  

I believe that what you show has PID and Alarm both available, I an not sure of the alarm type and limits.

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Advise on the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284790039062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+