Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
Author Messages
comat0se

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap m4
Roaster: West Bend Poppery (OG)
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2010, 1:25pm
Subject: V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?

Has anyone tried to put a V3 Silvia wand on the Classic?  There's a retrofit part for earlier Silvias for approx $70 that includes the valve but is it possible to just put the v3 wand on a Classic.  The price difference between the v2 wand and the v3 is only about $1.  It would seem that since I'm taking the nut from the Classic, it might just work, but there could be some mating issues or perhaps the diameter of the v3 won't fit the nut, or something else I'm overlooking.  Any one have some advice?
 View Profile Link to this post
comat0se

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010, 9:31am
Subject: Re: V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?

To answer my own question, it's not possible to install a v3 wand on a classic without some major modification.  I saw a picture of it done and the copper tube had to be rerouted out of the top of the machine.
lucky7mq

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 2:25pm

Hi comat0se,

Where did you see the picture of the Gaggia Classic with a Silvia V3 wand retrofit?  Could you please send me the link or the picture?  Thanks!
lucky7mq

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 10:51am

I actually just got my Silvia V3 wand in the mail yesterday and installed it into my Gaggia Classic no problem.
comat0se

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 10:59am

Really?  Weird... I had talked to a lady on the Gaggia Classic yahoo discussion group and she sent me pictures of hers.  It appeared that the V3 wand was significantly longer than the V2 so she had routed the steam tube out of the top and sent pictures of it.  I personally went with the V2 steam wand, and I really like the way it looks, plus it folds into the drip tray area just fine.  I'm still trying to get good microfoam from it however... it's not the magic wand I was hoping.  Let me know how you like the V3.  Do you have a picture of your V3 wand on the Classic.
amb

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Dec 13, 2010, 7:58pm

There's another thread here about somebody's Evolution with a V3 Silvia wand (routed out of the top of the machine with extra tubing) that sounds like what's being described above:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/467729

Definitely not just a bolt-on replacement there!  I think the smaller size of the Evo was the issue, though, since the Silvia V2 and V3 wands certainly look to be the same size.

I'd also be curious to hear details about the setup with the V3 wand, though, and would also love to see some pictures of it on a Classic.  Most writeups just cover the old V2 wand.
amb

Posted Mon Jan 17, 2011, 9:39pm

OK, I finally got around to sorting this out, and it's totally doable but also absolutely not as easy a bolt-on as the V2 wand install.

Short form: I love it, and for me the articulation is totally worth the trouble.  At least on the machines based on the large Gaggia chassis (Coffee Deluxe, Classic, etc.) there's plenty of room inside to bend the steam tube around so the wand exits in a useful spot.

For my first try I went with NPT fittings which (by luck, design, or insanity) work well enough with the metric threads and some pipe sealant.  (The Rancilio wand's M18x1.5 female threads are workably close the 3/8"NPT and the pipe's M10x1.0 threads are workably close to 1/4"NPT.)  You can get Watts part numbers from the post above, but any plumbing place or hardware store or whatever can sell you a 1/8" to 3/8" hex bushing and 1/8" nipple (all NPT), which is what you need.  (I got them from McMaster-Carr, part numbers 4429K471 and 4568K111, for about a buck each.  While you're there spend 45 cents on a 50785K267 (1/16" NPT plug) to plug that stupid leaky Gaggia self-priming valve if you have one, because once again 1/16" NPT is workably close to the real thread which is M8x1.0.)

Work required aside from just screwing things together and bending tubing: screwing the 3/8" bushing into the Rancilio wand would not leave enough room for the spring and bearing that seals the wand's ball joint and keeps it pointing where you put it, so I cut a half-inch hole 0.3" into the bushing to let the spring seat further down.  I also enlarged the hole that the wand exits the machine through so there would be room to actually use the articulation; opening up the hole to the edge of the sheet metal was sufficient.  (30 seconds with a dremel cut-off wheel.)

I've already got plans going to replace the NPT mess with properly fitting and easily available metric parts, but we'll see how that goes.  In the meantime, it seems to work well, it articulates exactly how I want it to, and I should have actual operating experience with it shortly.  (It however can't possibly be worse than the Gaggia wand and certainly appears to me a thousand times better.)

Below (if I got the image attachment right, anyway) is a montage of the various interesting bits:

amb: upload.jpg
(Click for larger image)
amb

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 10:27am

Here's a bigger version of the interior plumbing, which is probably the trickiest part of this.  Note that having the fitting exit at an angle is deliberate and important; I wanted the wand to be able to swing as far up as possible.  (If it exited straight down, half of the range of movement of the ball joint would be further in towards the machine, which would be quite useless!)

The pump-to-boiler hose has been removed for clarity.  (The hose from the self-primer has been removed permanently because the stupid thing always leaks anyway and I've plugged it.  Open the steam valve if you need to prime!)

amb: p.jpg
(Click for larger image)
comat0se

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:09am

Thanks for the follow up on this with the pictures...  I don't think I'll be switching out my V2 wand but how's the steaming performance of the V3 wand on the gaggia?
amb

Posted Sat Jan 22, 2011, 12:18pm

I like it a lot.  I don't think it's at all a compelling change from the V2 wand, but compared to the horrible stock panarello bubble-blower either one is a delight.  When I want air in my milk I can darn well put it there, and when I'm done with that I can submerge the tip more and let it finish up.  Flow is also much much better than stock, but again I think the Silvia wands are about the same there.

I think the only major thing the V3 wand has over the V2 is the swivel, but that's a big deal for me--I love being able to park the frothing pitcher with the steam wand where I want it and go deal with other things.  The boilers of all machines in this class are fairly gutless, steaming is going to take a while, and I've got better things to do in the morning.  Being able to tilt the wand up out of the way also lets me get a 32oz pitcher out from under it without either spilling milk or tilting back the machine.

Gaggia has (imho) done a great job of making machines that hit a nice sweet spot between quick warmup and enough volume and temperature stability to pull a good shot, but then they put these real loser steam wands on them.  Arguably that's the right call if they're assuming an unskilled operator (the panarello does do a reliably mediocre job), and as a practical matter the V2 Silvia wand really is a fast easy upgrade, but it's still annoying.
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227892875671)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+