Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Astoria Steam Wand Replacement for great microfoam.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Astoria Steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TLW

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 7:48am
Subject: Astoria Steam Wand Replacement for great microfoam.

After trying to get good microfoam for almost 4 months with my stock Astoria Argenta steam wand with no luck I have now installed a La Marzocco GS3 wand and a Sproline Tip on the Argenta. The stock GS3 tip will work also. For anyone that is having trouble getting paint like microfoam from their CMA machines this was the cure all for me. It was a pretty easy fix. If your machine has the stock stainless CMA wand installed it remove it and make sure you can get the nut off. The bends were too sharp on my OEM wand to get the nut off of it so I had to order a new nut to silp over the LM GS3 Wand. The GS3 wand has a bigger ID than the CMA wand had so I had to drill the nylon spring seat that fits inside the nut out to match the GS3 ID. It took a 1/4 drill bit. By doing this you make sure that when you move the wand around the steam pressure keeps even. The small stock hole in the nylon bushing would not let me make even steam when I moved the wand before drilling. I had to put an extra small washer in the top threads of the nut where it threads onto the steam valve so the wand would be able to tighten down and still have some free play for the wand to move. For anyone that is a frustrated as I was with not being able to get quality foam with their stock CMA Argenta machines this fix sure made me happy.
Here are the part numbers for the fix.
MZ_558La Marzocco GB-5FB_80 Steam Wand
MZ_208 La Marzocco Stainless Steam Wand Tip  This works fine if you don't want to use the Sproline Vortex like I did.
You should be able to use your existing stock wand parts to hook this into you machine. If you like you might want to order a
CMA steam wand rebuild kit to make sure all gaskets and O rings and the nylon spring seat are all ok before you start.
Good Luck and happy microfoam to all CMA owners.
__
 View Profile Link to this post
kaotik78

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astoria JUN, Rancilio S27,...
Grinder: Macap M4, Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr.Coffee
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 2:49am
Subject: Re: Astoria Steam Wand Replacement for great microfoam.

The Marzocco GS3 has an eneitrely different wand setup and is not bent correctly to be used on the Astoria Argenta.

The Part numbers listed in theory should work however without any photos it's difficult to see that it works.

Why not use the steam wand spring seat that comes from Marzocco, that would eliminate any drilling, or was it a fitment issue?
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Astoria Steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.162938117981)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+