Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancilio Sylvia - Getting hot water, but no steam
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Sylvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
olaboss
olaboss
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia 08/
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: -Bodum presso
Drip: -No
Roaster: cast iron skillet
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Sylvia - Getting hot water, but no steam

I realize that this post is old, but I though I could add to the knowledge base on this subject. To my utter devastation, my own machine did the same thing last weekend. No steam. I read this thread and started my search for the problem. Took off the top plate and started loosening all the electrical terminals one by one and put them back immediately. I often do this when I work on vehicles. That fixed the problem!! Yay! All it was, was a terminal with a bad connection.
So this is my suggestion if someone experience the same problem, try this first and if that doesn't fix it, continue to follow suggestions above.
Thanks!
Ola
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 1:58pm

Is there a possibility that the root of the problem was a tripped thermostat, and that it was inadvertently (or intentionally) reset during the course of the work you did?  If you bumped into the little red button on the safety thermostat you could have reset it.

Secondly, if the problem was a loose connection, then it would probably be wise to replace the crimp connector.  There are many reports of these connectors loosening with age, probably associated with the thermal cycling.  If they are loose, then the connection has higher resistance than desired.  The higher resistance generates heat, which in turn can destroy the insulation on the wires, which in turn can lead to short circuits, sparks, and smoke.

In any event, glad to hear you have it fixed.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
olaboss
olaboss
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia 08/
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: -Bodum presso
Drip: -No
Roaster: cast iron skillet
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:10pm

Hello Jim,
Yes I believe that may have been a possibility. I know I have forgotten to turn it off some times and I think that it could have over-heated and perhaps that was what happened. I wish there was a simple timer that one could use that would turn off the power after 30-40 minutes. They had those kind of spring loaded timers in a home for mentally challenged people where I worked once. I guess they are used in homes of elderly people also. Very simple but effective. It is so easy to forget to turn the darn thing off every morning. Now I say out loud "off" when I have cleaned the machine and turn it off. I guess I am getting old :-)
Ola
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:19pm

olaboss Said:

I guess I am getting old :-)

Posted February 14, 2013 link

A great habit, if you ask me.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Sylvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207355976105)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+