Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Trick out Oscar Party with Upgrades
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Trick out Oscar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 2:56am
Subject: Re: Trick out Oscar Party with Upgrades

pump will fill boiler by itself , [open steam valve] , and will stop when brain senses the level probe is reached , if water comes out steam valve ,  boiler is overfilled.

Tank water level sensed by brain using two connections , [check for corrosion] ,  like the boiler lever probe , water completes the connection. If tank water and below are full several power on off cycles my clear low water light on front panel.

plastic tubing make it's own flare when nut is tightened , more likely the o-rings in or on the union before the two way are leaking. new union or o-rings
needed

The brew button controls the three way
the brain , two way , and the level probe control the boiler fill

HTH
 View Profile Link to this post
tmdirt

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 9:22pm

Hello All
Thanks for the help
Its alive
Total rebuild and cleaning
After much diagnosis and time I believe
It is the control box.
It wont switch to water fill mode.
dont have the money for a new one
so i did some mods. myself, from junk drawers
I put a lead from the fill level which i test continuity for fill level White wire behind switch,
and put a three way switch between valves
I use a honda 80 piston for the press for extra garage feel
BAMM
I think i could use this to descale also in the future, might be tough on the pump
Alex
P.S. I'm not sure which portafilter? if I have single or double? it seems to have less volume than my gaggia. It is only 7/8'' deep or 22mm And a big Brass ring at the shower
What does the pod filter look like?

tmdirt: simonelli 001 (2).jpg
(Click for larger image)
plindy
plindy

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:05am

electrical diagram, page 11 from Owner's Manuel
manpag
the brain has three more relays
lot of interconnections

pod

plindy: oscar_pod.jpg
(Click for larger image)
tmdirt

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 8:54am

Bummer
Thats it
How are the pods? Are they starbuckian?
Probably buy parts for double shot on payday

thanks for the E. diagram, i have used it (not the easiest to follow)
relays control heat,pump, vavles with water level

Thanks

Alex
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 9:02am

I think you can fill your own pods if you have a grinder.  If not you are stuck with what ever is on the shelf.  You will have a good machine when you are done.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zuffen

Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 8:10pm

Hello Coffeegeeks,
After reading this thread and watching the video I would like to trick out my Oscar just like you did.  Especially the steam lever option as it is a pain to take so many turns in order to start or stop it.  So in order to get started I have a couple of questions for the group.

1) How do you bend copper tubing safely?  Any tips on the subject will be appreciated.  Yes this is for the vacuum breaker and cup upgrade.  Any special tools needed?  BTW where do you buy the T and Ls from?  Mail order or local?  Newbie here on this subject.

2) What parts do I need to upgrade the steam wand?  Looks like frank828 and plindy went about it differently.  I ask this as I do not have the tapping tools that plindy used.  Must i have those tools?  I certainly like the temporary steam blast feature.

At the moment the vacuum breaker and the steam wand lever upgrades will be tackled first.  I'm still unsure how the Musica restrictors help, but I'm sure I will be there soon.  

Thank you for posting about modifying your Oscars.  After reading and watching the video many times I made up my mind to get one.  I never knew that getting into coffee could be so hands on like tricking a hot rod, I love it.

Zuffen
SoCal
yycoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 8:24pm

Thanks for this posting, the video and pictures.  I have had my Oscar since 2003 and maintained it myself but now it is time for some mods :)
It is too bad about the audio because the one thing I really wanted was the info on the direct plumb in modification on the second machine...  any chance you could describe it briefly?
plindy
plindy

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 4:58am

start here
mod kits

look around , lot's of info....

there are many combinations , the one's shown were the easiest for me at that time..
I done 4 other combo mods and all were done differently ... big/little Pstat , tanked/plumbed/opv/Vac/ no vac... each requires different solutions.

for steam wand frank828's post has all the part #'s for espressoparts
drill a hole for the set screw and cut the top off the lever , are the only changes I would make.

plumbed in

4x6mm Teflon tube or 1/4"od x.040 wall  or 1/4 od x.170 id will form  a flanged tube fitting for S_242; slide the tube down to the threads and thread the nut on
Older base plates have an extra hole for the water line
I used a different opv valve, modded it to accept a one way valve, to feed excess from opv to the incoming water line .

cold water line, filter, adapter, regulator, various cutoff and the smallest sureflo accumulator,to damp out pump vibes to the gauge.
Zuffen

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 3:40pm

Thank you for the reply. I just finished the steam lever upgrade, works fantastic. Now I can tell why you threaded the valve as it not as secure as it could be. Thinking in adding a couple of washers until I find the tools to tap the valve and fork.  Thank you for the link to Elektro, question: they have a kit for an OPV and vacuum breaker that I'm thinking in ordering: is the OPV a worthwhile upgrade for the Oscar? Would I also need the Musica restrictors?
Thank you again

Zuffen
Zuffen

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 4:27pm

Some pix

Zuffen: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Trick out Oscar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27608704567)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+