Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
PID on a Saeco Aroma
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > PID on a Saeco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 6:21pm
Subject: Re: PID on a Saeco Aroma

LeSyphon Said:

thermocouple or RDT I need (still confuse with the difference in therminology)

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Both are sensors.  The RTD is Resistance Temperature Detector.  A resistor with 2 wires to connect it to the PID and the resistance varies with temperature and the PID is set to measure this.  A thermocouple is 2 wires of different metallurgy fused into a bead that gives off a small current and that current changes with temperature.  RTDs have been adapted by Auber and but into usable connectors such as a proper threaded screw or a bimetallic thermostat base.  Many thermocouples have been adapted for industrial use and have industrial insulation and connectors.

If you decide on the Auber RTD then get the Auber PID.  Decide whether you want to chase down your own SSR on ebay and whether you want a box.  I would only buy a box for the 1/32 DIN PID, and then only if you wany it.  Note that many people do not house the PID, it sets on top of the machine unboxed.  Also note that there AC terminals on back that you could potentially grab.  You could tape those over or insulate if you do not box.

If you want to piece it together, then get stuff on Ebay.  Downside is instructions, but they you can probably figure it out.  I have not actually seen one and have seen some instruction on ebay.

I used 3 functions thus the 1/16 PID controller that I chose, and I am not suggesting that for you.  Just a PID controller with SSR and 1 alarm.

About wires...  If you crimp, not solder, then you need to get wire size to crimp; wire should match connectors.  I think that you should use 14 awg for the SSR output but 16 awg may be ok.  I would use 16 awg if that was what used in the machine, if I could read that on the wire, otherwise 14 awg.  If 16 awg then you can potentially use it throughout.  I used 14 awg for SSR output and 26 awg on the rest.  I had it and it is small to put in the bundle to the PID controller.  I have 10 wires in that bundle and you will have 8 if you use steam.  I am assuming that you can use steam and that we can figure the connections.  I do not have your machine, only the PartsGuru diagram.

Wire needs to be insulated for 105C or greater.  Generic wire for speakers and such is not that temperature.  Give it some thought and decide what you want to do.  Look at the supplies needed on that Gaggia thread.  DIY or an Auber Kit.  If you read the Gaggia thread then you have an idea about wires and connectors, you need the similar stuff.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
LeSyphon

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 10:28am

I really appreciate your help!!! I will do the projet in maybe half a year... I'm still at university and don't have lots of cash so.... I tough that my tax return would have been bigger but.... anyway as soon as I'm ready I'll give you feedbacks!!!

Tax return suck....
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 10:34am

Thanks for the follow up post.  I wondered where you went.  Let me know when you are ready.  

The good news with a PID controller is that you can in general use it over.  Most wiring is similar.  Obviously you could desire an upgrade and not need it, but if you are at SBDU machine(s) for a while, on student budget, you can use it on the next.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > PID on a Saeco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187814950943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+