Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Nuovo Simonelli Beach
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Nuovo Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
atsamattau
atsamattau
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola,...
Grinder: Bosch burr, Cunhill burr,...
Drip: French presses, Melita,...
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 2:07am
Subject: Nuovo Simonelli Beach

Anyone have any experience with the Beach made by Nuovo Simonelli? I just got one off ebay but I can't find much information on the thing. It is got to be one of the ugliest machines made:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

I got it because it has a heat exchangeer and a rotary pump with water hookup and only draws 10 amps at 120 volts, which is what I have been looking for. I geusse it wont look so bad with everything polished up and painted, but I'm more concerned with performance since I allready have a few machines that look nice.

Anyone know how well this thing will perform? Anyone have any parts for it?

atsamattau: BeachPic001.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 8:19am
Subject: Re: Nuovo Simonelli Beach

GUESSING: It appears to be a plumbed-in machine with a manual boiler fill (the lever on the front of the frame below the drip tray).
It looks like a water level sensor on the boiler, but I do not see a control box for it. Also, the heating element leads are not visible, but it does have a pressurestat.
It will be easy to work  on, and if the motor and pump are good then you didn't do too badly. Form there on, the value will be in education..

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:13am

Single group, vert boiler, rotary pump, auto fill, HX commercial machine that has a hard life. The knob on the front is  a manual fill for the boiler, (the sensor for auto fill is on the R of the top of the boiler) and it does have a sight glass like said above. Hot water on left and steam on the right.

It will require a good cleaning, a new group gasket and likely a descale of the boiler and hopefully there will not be any damage to it from being stored, full of water in a unheated space over winter and have the water freeze, thus breaking pipes etc.

If there is no damage and once clean and working properly, it should make good espresso, looking good on the counter, well, I suppose it's mother loves it ;<D

I really can't read what the switches are for, not close enough and excessive wear to the silk screening and glare make it hard to read them.

EDIT:
after really looking hard at the photos with zoom, it seems that the machine is a manual fill and that one of the leads to the heater is broken off the element which will require it's replacement, possibly a hard thing to find. Check the machine over well when it gets to you but up close it really looks like the heater contacts are broken on top of the boiler. At first I thought they were the water level sensor and a vacuum breaker but there is an insulator on what I thought was a water level sensor, like what you have on a heater and if you look close at what I thought was a vacuum breaker, it looks like a broken insulator on the inside. I do not see a second wire for the other side of the heater so I may be wrong or they may have tucked it up out of the way so you could not see that it was broken.

Manual fill, pressure stat, manual start / stop, there would not be any brain box to speak of. With the two switches on the panel, it looks like the controls for a SBDU with a steam/coffee switch and a brew switch or it could be ON/OFF and brew but I am wondering why they use a rocker switch for brewing. Interesting.... ?

NS may be your only hope of finding a heater for it. At least it will be clean inside the boiler when you are done as it looks like the boiler needs to be disassembled to replace the element from the inside.

Good luck!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
atsamattau
atsamattau

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola,...
Grinder: Bosch burr, Cunhill burr,...
Drip: French presses, Melita,...
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:56pm

Well I found a finished rebuild of another one of these:

Click Here (www.kaffee-netz.de)
(maschinen/64172-v-nuova-simonelli-beach.html)

and the machine before:

Click Here (www.kaffee-netz.de)
(reparatur-und-wartung/51939-restaurierung-nuova-simonelli-beach.html)

and it shows the top of the boiler with a pipe to the steam valve going to the broken stem on the machine I got. For some reason the machines have the steam and water switched, and tis guy's machine has a programable switch and a pressure guage - must be the delux model.  For a minute I was worried that it was a heater element like you thought, thank god its not! I'm hoping it hasn't sustained any freeze damage like you mentioned, it is coming from Ohio so that is a real possibility.

The finished machine actually looks very nice after it has been painted up and cleaned, if I can obtain similar results I will be very happy.

I'm just excited to finally have a rotary pump machine to play around with!

As far as the graphics go anything can be done pretty easily these days with a computer and a vinyl cutting plotter, either with stencils or self adhesive vinyl. It should be a fun project, and a decent machine when its running right.

Anyone with parts for this thing please let me know.

atsamattau: BeachPic016cropped.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Nuovo Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218806028366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+