Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Thermal safety switch snapped (ECM Giotto)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Thermal safety...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
saulnierh

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Rancilio MD
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:10pm
Subject: Thermal safety switch snapped (ECM Giotto)

Hi,
I've goofed...
While replacing the safety switch on my Giotto, I applied too much torque installing the new switch and it snapped... I'm now left with the screwable piece of the switch stuck in the boiler blocking the installation of another one (that I would install very gently).
I was wondering if you would have some suggestions to remove the screwable part (1/8" brass or copper) knowing that no part of it protrudes from the boiler (picture).
I was also wondering if I could just let it be and instead solder the remaining part directly to the boiler. Would it still read temperature correctly enough to be safe? Would the soldering damage the functionality of the switch (burn a circuit or something)? Would it damage the boiler?
Any input on resolving this issue will be appreciated.
Thanks!

saulnierh: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 8:20pm
Subject: Re: Thermal safety switch snapped (ECM Giotto)

drill through the centre after centre punching it. (use a dremmel or similar if you have one). Once you have a pilot hole (don't go too deep), use a larger bit, to avoiv the threads, then you should be able to dig it out.
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 8:32pm

Go to your favorite hardware store and buy a set of easy outs.

http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/
saulnierh

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 4:48am

Thanks for your answers.

I'm a bit hesitant to drill in it to use a screw extractor like easy out. As I've never used those, I fear I could make it worse (damage the threads of the boiler or stripping the screw to a point a screw extractor could not be used anymore). But removing this piece sure sounds like the only real solution.

Still, I was really drawn to the workaround idea of soldering it to the boiler with tin due to the apparent simplicity of the process (according it doesn't affect the functionality of the switch).

Any contraindication? If so, I'm going to practice the easy out operation before operating the Giotto.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:24pm

Do not try to solder the new one, all you will do is make a mess of everything.

If you can get something small and pointed in the hole like a small chisel, you might be able to put enough of a slot into the stud to get a screw driver on it and back it out.

I have done this before but I was lucky enough to have a very small piece of the stud above the boiler, I was able to get the dremmel motor with a cut off disc to it, to cut a slot in the stud then I simply unscrewed the stud and installed the new one.

It will not be tight in the hole, it is just sitting there waiting for you to back it out.

Some easy outs have a self drilling point. you use one side to drill the hole then flip it over in the drill and then unscrew the stud.

Good luck.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
saulnierh

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 4:02am

OK,
I'll work on the screw and leave my soldering aside.
Thanks all!
earlds
earlds
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:46am

youtube is your friend ,look for this one , screw extractor /easyout /broken bolt remover ..and there are others too.The easyouts that I use have a drill side and just flip it around and carefully tap the extractor side into the whole and take out the screw.This is a simple process just go easy one step at a time.Good luck..
Don
ddubick

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 1:29pm

I don't know if I've ever seen an easy-out that small but I've only seen a few.

I would suggest a dremel with a small cutting wheel to make a slot in it - the smaller the diameter the better.  Yes you'll get a bit of the boiler too but you shouldn't have to go that deep.  Then use a screwdriver to back it out.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:21am

OK... Since it was a new screw (or at least one that was previously removed) you are not having to deal with corrosion. best bet would be a rotary tool (Dremel or similar). Harbor Freight and other suppliers have economy tools that are like a Dremel. Use a SMALL carbide bit and carefully cut a slot in the remaining portion of the screw. That should allow the use of a small screwdriver to remove the broken part. Make the slot deep enough to get the screwdriver into it to take a good bite. if it doesn't turn out easily, apply heat to the boiler then cool the screw part. A inverted can of "Dust Off" or equivalent will work, or just a few small drops of water on the screw remains - chill the screw and it will contract. Even leaving the screwdriver in the freezer for a while will help if the boiler has been heated.

You do not need to tighten the screw that much (well, DUH a this point, no?). A thin film of heat transfer paste between the thermostat and the boiler is a good idea.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
saulnierh

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 3:09pm

As I have a hard time finding a small enough screw extractor, I guess I'm going to try to go with the Dremel/screwdriver approach. The hot boiler/cold screwdriver seems a good idea. I'll work on it this weekend and post results. Meanwhile, I still use the machine for my morning espressi.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Thermal safety...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267699956894)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+