Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Computer controlled temp and flow profiling
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Computer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 11:05am
Subject: Re: Computer controlled boiler temp - better than PID?

> Why would the PID or your board not just add the appropriate amount of heat to keep the boiler at set?

Because they don't know what the boiler water temp is, all they know is what the boiler wall temp is.  Getting one from the other isn't as simple as adding n degrees (unless ambient temp and air flow are fixed).

If I understand him correctly, daduck748 saw a "10-15F drop" in the steady state (pre brew) delta between internal and external probes when he changed the temp of the air surrounding the boiler.  Of course he was adding a preheat coil which changes air flow and radiant effects.  But it does show that what happens outside of the boiler effects the delta between an external probe and water temp.

Thanks for the link.  I agree, fully insulating the boiler should pretty much eliminate this effect and under steady state conditions, make boiler wall temp and boiler water temp about the same.  Might be better than a measurement/software adjustment solution, even if the entire bottom of the Gaggia Classic boiler needs to be left exposed.
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 11:34am
Subject: Re: Computer controlled boiler temp - better than PID

Today I modified the preheat and brew code to allow a hybrid of open and closed loop techniques.  You can control brew heat to temperatures (realizing that what it sees is delayed and offset in unknown ways) or to PWM values (open loop, similar to rapid temp surfing).  The table is still there - so instead of trying to control to a single value (like a PID alarm function or dual PIDs would do), you get to specify a different value for each second of the preheat and brew cycle.   Ie, the goal was to allow more frequent and more accurately timed switch flips than manual temp surfing could ever do and allow a more flexible form of the control that PID during brew does.  It's up to the user, depending on the values they put in the table.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 8:00pm

jonr Said:

I suspect that ambient temp is why people let machines warm up for so long.  The Gaggia Classic has enough heater power to bring the boiler from room temperature to desired temp in < 2 min.   So why 20 min warm ups?  At 2 min, the air around the boiler is still pretty cool and significantly effects the boiler wall temperature reading.  Ie, there is a different temp offset between the boiler wall and the water - and a few degree error in water temp impacts coffee taste.  If it could be made to work well, a 2-5 min warmup would be of some convenience value to me.

Posted August 8, 2013 link

Those heaters are in the boiler wall, so some time has to be given for water temperature to stabilize, and the group and PF.  Are you going to actively heat the group and PF?  You could use water flush as Andy did but then you are again waiting to stabilize.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jonr

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 8:36pm

My guess is that 2 min to heat up (probably by initially overheating the walls to some extent) and then 2-3 min to distribute that heat evenly is enough.   An internal probe would be the way to find out.

Are there easy ways to put in an internal probe?
jonr

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013, 7:26am

It looks like 2 minutes of steam temp (overheat) and then 8 seconds of flush (cool down and group heat) brings a cold Gaggia up to brew temp very quickly.  It would take some further testing to get the exact right times.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013, 9:16am

I believe that Andy could do that in 5 minutes, perhaps less.  Problem is, it is not automated and requires user input and time, and the inherent inconsistency.  You might automate that on your board?  Many ideas can be done, but are they a practical and economical help for the home user?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jonr

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013, 2:27pm

I agree, it's rare that I really need a 5 min warmup.  But I'm sure that most of it could be automated with the computer.  Probably would need a LED to flash or something to indicate when and how much water to flush (or maybe the flush could be eliminated) and another LED for when it is ready.

At this point, I'm mostly concerned about how to tune things.  It's going to take a lot of trials and tasting to determine the exact temperature profile I want throughout brew.  Being able to control it is only the beginning.
jonr

Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 8:44am

Here is an interesting article that talks about a flat brew temp profile not being ideal.   I wonder where "flat is ideal" came from?   Also, flat above the coffee means very non-flat within the coffee (which is what really matters).

It also talks about  .1 degree making a difference in taste (but I think that to get actually bad espresso, you need much more error than that).

Click Here (www.espressotec.com)

Also:

Click Here (www.caffeculture.com) (4C drop is better, 1 degree matters)

I'm trying for a 94C to 91C dropping profile to start with.  Even guessing at values, I'm already getting amazing good taste.
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 9:48am

jonr Said:

Here is an interesting article that talks about a flat brew temp profile not being ideal.   I wonder where "flat is ideal" came from?

Posted August 11, 2013 link

As others have said, the "flat temperature profile" concept came over a decade ago from David Schomer. Few knowledgeable people in the specialty coffee industry still buy his claim, however.

Also, one doesn't need a fancy control system (Rancilio or homemade) to experiment with declining temperature profiles. Try a lever machine or a heat-exchanger pump machine; many of these provide a declining temperature profile through their physical design.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonr

Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 10:01am

My experience with HX was that while it did naturally have a drop during brew, the starting brew temp was so effected by flush, incoming water temp, flow rate and ambient temp that I had no interest in keeping it.  For me, a low cost Gaggia Classic plus $30 worth of controls is producing much better results.

A small boiler machine also has a natural temp drop.  In the case of the Classic, it's excessive unless you reduce it by bumping up boiler wall temp just before or during brew.
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Computer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245919942856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+