Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Restoring my new Old white Coffee Gaggia
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Restoring my new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:29am
Subject: Re: Restoring my new Old white Coffee Gaggia

I am not sure how a gasket of different ID and OD dimensions will fit in the space.  I wonder what product could adhere the gasket to a flat surface that you could then release or cut loose.  Silicone or cyanoacrylate?  I have a 12" disc sander, more tedious if not impossible by hand, and I would try to adhere the gasket to a flat surface.  In that flat surface I would drill and tap 4 holes spaced around the perimeter of the gasket.   A screw could be inserted to the correct height all 4 points and that would be my stop for sanding level/flat.  I am not sure how the material would adhese or sand.  I might order the thicker one of correct ID and OD, and then the second on your list.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
iko

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:40am

Hm... they want $40 for shipping. I'm going to look for a different source.
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:46am

iko Said:

Hm... they want $40 for shipping. I'm going to look for a different source.

Posted September 25, 2013 link

Have you actually asked them if they will send it USPS?
Some of the parts suppliers are amenable to making exceptions for small orders.
If not, I agree, take your business elsewhere, but asking never hurts.
iko

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:48am

D4F Said:

I am not sure how a gasket of different ID and OD dimensions will fit in the space.  I wonder what product could adhere the gasket to a flat surface that you could then release or cut loose.  Silicone or cyanoacrylate?  I have a 12" disc sander, more tedious if not impossible by hand, and I would try to adhere the gasket to a flat surface.  In that flat surface I would drill and tap 4 holes spaced around the perimeter of the gasket.   A screw could be inserted to the correct height all 4 points and that would be my stop for sanding level/flat.  I am not sure how the material would adhese or sand.  I might order the thicker one of correct ID and OD, and then the second on your list.

As long as the OD is less than roughly 72mm and larger than about 65mm, and the ID larger than 57mm and less than roughly 59mm I think it would be fine. The basket lip. the part that presses up onto the gasket, is about 62-63mm. So, any gasket of the right thickness and with ID and OD that surround the 62-63mm value would be fine.
D4F

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:04am

D4F Said:

Did you note that other Gaggia gaskets are the same dimensions except thickness?  What are your ideas for thinning one?

Posted September 24, 2013 link

iko Said:

Yes, of course.  

Sorry, The question about ID and OD was somewhat rhetorical as I saw that you had noted it and that is why I asked about thinning.

Have you tried Espressotec for supplies ???

D4F also at
iko

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 5:18pm

Yes, I did, thanks. Also high price (not so high as the other one) for shipping. So far cafeparts seems the best. I may order it soon.
iko

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 7:05pm

For the record, the gasket that came with the machine measures 82x54.5x5 mm

But I got an idea. The upper part of the shower head is 54mm in diameter, and is 5mm long. That's what the gasket touches, at the very base. But the lower part of the shower head is 57mm in diameter. Well, one can use one of the very popular gaskets: 74x57x8mm:

http://cafeparts.com/productDetail1.asp?ItemID=49027

if the portafilter hooking ring is lowered 3mm. Which can be done with a 3mm thick shim. Now I'll look for some copper or brass sheet, 3mm thick. Could be aluminum too, since the portafilter hooking mechanism is made of aluminum.
iko

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 6:59am

Did some measurements, looks like the shim I want is about 114x83x3mm where 3mm is the thickness of course. This will add 3mm to the existing gasket, allowing for 8mm thick gaskets, which are plenty of. I've seen even some 8.2mm or 8.5mm gaskets, which might fit just as well. Remains to be seen, after I make the shim. Decided to go with aluminum, since it's easiest to work with and anyway the portafilter support is also aluminum.
D4F

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 9:19am

Post a few pictures along the way.  Picture is worth a thousand words.

D4F also at
iko

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 11:00am

True that. Just didn't have anything to show yet. Here's what I'm planning at the moment. These are hard drive platters, two of them amount to something between 2.5 and 3mm thickness. I chose these because the base material is some sort of aluminum alloy. There is layer of other materials on the surface, but I will ignore that fact. :) The only worry about the shim is to conduct heat and not to rust in time.   The convenient factor about the hard drive platters as a shim is that only the inner diameter needs to be cut, I think. When I get home I'll check to see if the OD isn't too large.

iko: shim11.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Restoring my new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281596899033)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+