Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Computer controlled temp and flow profiling
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Computer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 8:50am
Subject: Response time matters

Just to demonstrate how a poor measurement system can influence presentation, here is the same data I posted yesterday (minus some early time points) with some simple filtering applied.  Now it looks very much like graphs I've seen elsewhere - rise time is about 5 seconds, the bump is gone.   Deceivingly close to perfect (note: flat is not the goal).

First you need to identify/measure something, then you need to control/remove it and only then can you prove or disprove that it effects taste.

jonr: graph2.png
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:36am
Subject: the 3 second bump

Interesting, a cold portafilter had almost no effect but a 1 second flush 8 seconds before brew completely eliminated the bump.   It may be caused by steam being created in the brief period after the 3-way valve opens and before the pump comes up to pressure.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 10:15am
Subject: Re: Computer controlled boiler temp - better than PID?

Jonr, you posted on the Gaggia PID SBDU thread

"I don't know any programming language so I have to stick to analog. -Withildb  said

I don't know any program language so I used PID- I responded to Witholdb

Or you can run code that someone else wrote (say like mine).  Then it's much like running the pre-programmed PID units." -Jonr

I like PID because it is fairly simple to use and explain, and in that sense seems "better that computer."  :)  I understand many advantages of the computer board as you have explained in the thread.  

Can you make a "computer board for dummies" thread or posts here, so that I could go to the internet, or store(s) and buy proper supplies, connect them, and then install/run code and then install that on my machine and use it.  In addition, note how to change parameters such as delays and temperatures to tweak for flow, or for final volume.  Also include a display and box/housing recommendations.  Please write the instructions and install so that "it's much like running the pre-programmed PID units."  When I was setting up the PID system, I actually considered the Arduino and corresponded with one of past PID now Arduino users.  It was my impression that Arduino speak is much like foreign language, or at least its own technospeak.  I know that code written by others can be used if one knows how to, but I still do not see any instructions similar to PID.  I started with no PID knowledge and could understand enough from reading to use it. Can you make the computer system more user friendly?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jonr

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: Computer controlled boiler temp - no programming needed

The key point is that you don't need to know programming to load and run someone else's code.

If someone wants to try my code, I'm willing to help and take notes as to what the non obvious issues are.  Most Gaggia Classic users wouldn't want to change more than a couple of well commented lines.  Basic system issues, like how to load a program, are well documented and discussed elsewhere at www.mbed.org.  At $20 the downside risk of not being able to get it to work is quite limited.

On the other hand, if a comment such as "verify that the sensor is reading around 1000 ohms" makes absolutely no sense, then a computer and my explanations are probably not a good fit.  I agree that an off  the shelf PID controller is simpler.

Of course perhaps 99.9% of users don't want to make any modifications.
jonr

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 2:06pm
Subject: Pump control

Pump control (using an IGBT) is installed and working.  Not sure exactly how I am going to use it.  I'll start with slow ramp up of pressure.
jonr

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 2:57pm
Subject: Re: Pump control

Initial taste results from a slow pressure ramp up are quite promising.  

I wired things to allow the computer to control the pump, but the 3-way valve is still manual.  This allows applying a little bit of pump pressure before the 3 way valve opens and this has completely eliminated the "steam bump" that I was getting at the beginning of the temp profiles.

Next step is to try a computer connected scale under the cup to get feedback on shot volume and flow profile.
jonr

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 9:05pm
Subject: Re: Pump control

I switched back to just pre-brew temp control (+ some steam switch) for a week and definitely did not like the results as well as with brew-time heat control and a slow ramp of pump pressure (similar to pre-infusion).  

The scale project (to allow accurate flow profiling) is moving along.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 9:16pm
Subject: Re: Computer controlled boiler temp

If I understand, you would have computer controlled idle, and then about 3 - 4 seconds of steam switch and then 3 - 4 seconds of rest, then the shot.  For comparison, like a standard PID configuration. What set temperature, and what did the boiler top temperature do during the shot?  A good comparator to those who would try PID or computer without added brew heat.  Of course you already mentioned the cup/taste.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jonr

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 7:29am
Subject: Re: Computer controlled boiler temp

I have a huge amount of flexibility wrt temp profile (shape and values) during brew and while I am using a profile that works better than what I was able to achieve with the steam switch, I'm certain it isn't optimal.   Perhaps as more people get access to flexible temp (and flow) profiles, there will be more data as to exactly what works best and how much difference it makes.    Once that is determined, then it would be appropriate to ask "can we achieve as good or almost as good taste with a simpler system".
jonr

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 9:10am
Subject: Re: Computer controlled flow

Photo of scale (a load cell is under the stainless steel square) and micro-controller board.  I took the load cell and plate from a $8 scale and amplified the output with an INA128 op amp.

jonr: classic.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 6 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Computer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237936019897)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+