Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Looking for a cheap PID for my gaggia, need your help !
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mrparapluie
Mrparapluie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso iSteel 1 (54 flat...
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 4:13pm
Subject: Looking for a cheap PID for my gaggia, need your help !

Hi everyone,

I was looking on ebay for a PID and i find this one :
ebaylink

I find some PID that cost like 150$, so im not sure if this one could do the job ? The description says its ok to use with espresso machine..

Thx for helping me !
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a cheap PID for my gaggia, need your help !

I suggest looking at the Auber site and noting PID controllers vs PID kits.  Look at the supplies and see what you want and then see how much you can save on Ebay.  The Auber RTD sensor is probably the best for Gaggia, fits the brew stat port.

Do you want a box to house the PID?

I helped a fellow in Canada and he ended up with Auber equipment, not kit, and then bought wiring and connectors from Ebay.

Before you buy a PID, make sure that there are good instructions.  I have not been able to help much with Sestos PIDs.  Not all PIDs use P, I, and D to mean exactly the same, difficult with some Chinese clones.  I have not look specifically at the one you mentioned.  Here are generic PID instructions, almost identical to Auber, but not exact for Sestos.

http://users.rcn.com/erics/PID/PID_Manual_2.pdf

Are you familiar with DMM?

Do you solder?  If not, do you crimp wires well?  

Do you have easy access to electronics, wires, spade connectors, and perhaps power supplies such as cell phone chargers?

You can find a lot of info on the PID thread below.  If you are good at understanding the electronics, I recommend a PID with PID algorithms and 2 alarm functions.  The thread has about 15 pages of how to use a PID alarm to stop intrashot drop, and how to use a PID alarm for steam.  Pages 16 - 30 are a fairly complete install on Gaggia.  If none of that seems fun, consider a kit.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

No kit and you will make below, or more if more functions.  Not that sensor, but you will buy better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832954%40N00/2330218796

Still have an interest, I am happy to help :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 5:52am

Kit or DIY, both will improve brewing a lot. Kits are fast and easy to install with nothing else to buy, DIY, takes more work on your part but cost less. DO WHAT YOU FEEL! :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iko

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 6:49am

Depends how handy you are. I got these items, all prices include shipping:

REX-C700 PID: $19
40A solid state relay: $5
k-type thermocouple probe: $3

Wire from a used computer power cable, crimping connectors from Home Depot. Works perfectly. The PID I got has SSR output and two alarm functions, and it's easy to setup. But I decided to leave the steam temperature on the original thermostat.

The only "more difficult" part of all this is to find a suitable small case that is aesthetically pleasing.
Mrparapluie
Mrparapluie

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso iSteel 1 (54 flat...
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 2:51pm

Thx for the reply !
I understand now that the kit will be more easy to make but if i wanna spend less money i will have some trouble ;)

Im not familiar with electronics and electricity..but its not like to built a house, i think i can do it with a little bit of help via internet.

The first thing is to improve my espresso machine with the less money possible. I have a gaggia evolution and the température is never exact of what i really whant.

In the future i would like to have a E61 Brew head with pid incluse (hummmm rocket )
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 8:18pm

If you read the PID thread above you will see that with a 1/16 DIN PID with 2 alarm functions you can have brew temperature, add heat with brew for stable intrashot or controlled temperature drop, and steam control.  The first half of the thread explains all of that in comparison to steam switch surfing so that you can understand it.  The second half of the thread will tell you supplies needed and describe what you need to put together.  Brianl asked a lot of good questions that clarify most of the install.  If you want to proceed you will need to gather supplies.  I like the Auber supplies mentioned in the thread.  

I believe this is an inexpensive project box for the squarish 1/16 DIN PID,  Model: 270-1803

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

Gaggia Evo thread, though not my PID set up

http://www.jpvaughan.ie/?p=55

My PID of choice and Sensor.

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198070049286)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+