Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Breville BES900xl Repair
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Jomo
Jomo
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 3:08pm
Subject: Breville BES900xl Repair

Hello all,

I've got a BES900xl that is sort of working.  When it first came into my hands it had no pressure at the group head.  I took it apart and found the OPV spring was missing and have since fixed that.  That got it working.  (all the pressure /water was just going out of the OPV release)

The trouble now is when I pull a shot I sort of get a shot but it trickles into the cup very slowly about 60 seconds to do a double shot with single wall.  The pressure gauge is reading ~9.5 bars.  The intersting thing is the gauge reading depends on how hard I tamp.  The last shot I pulled I tamped probably closer to ~30lbs  and the gauge read ~11 bars.  So I'm wondering what is up.  Most importantly it just doesn't seem like a proper extraction is happening.  I tried running a cleaning cycle with a cleaning tablet and didn't seem to do much.  

It appears if I tamped too hard it would take over a minute to get a shot out of it.  Anybody have any ideas as to what I should look into?  I've taken this thing all apart so I've got no problem looking at the mechanics of it...
 View Profile Link to this post
Jomo
Jomo

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 6:37pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES900xl Repair

Ok, so I've made some diagnostic progress.  I've found if I close off the return pipe it increase the pressure and flow at the head while pulling a shot.  It seems to fix the amount of time it takes to pull a shot though the gauge is reading into the ~13-14 bars.  I'm not tamping too hard and the grind isn't insanely fine.  Either my OPV is bad or there's pressure leaking somewhere....
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 12:50am

Your target pressure should generally be in the 9.0-9.5 BAR range.
Sounds like you should use less ground coffee or coarsen the grind a little bit as a test.
Also fresh beans pull very different from stale, so you'll want to test with some fresh roast coffee too.

Good luck.  Sounds like your nearly there.
witoldb

Espresso: Sanremo Treviso LX,...
Grinder: Vario,Elektra MXS,...
Roaster: DIY 250g drum roaster
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 5:01am

Did you try to remove and clean shower screen and dispersion disk?
Jomo
Jomo

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 5:45am

Yea,  I ran a cleaning cycle and made no difference.  I did try less grind and coarser grind and it did make a slight difference.  I think the real problem is some sort of blockage dealing with the water flow to the group head.  Temperature is fine, pressure is fine, the pumps are fine, I think because of adequate pressure.  

So  I think I've isolated it to something to do with the water flow line.  I'll double check the shower head but I'm pretty sure its A-OK.

Thanks guys.
witoldb

Espresso: Sanremo Treviso LX,...
Grinder: Vario,Elektra MXS,...
Roaster: DIY 250g drum roaster
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 9:08am

Check what happens if you remove the screen and dispersion disk and do manual flushing.
If you still don't get enough flow, then check for any obstruction in the group head channels.
Maybe you can blow it out with compressed air or remove it with piece of wire.
It might be piece of scale or broken o-ring.
See the o-rings condition in this post:
"Breville BES900 hydraulic diagram + some technical details"
They were very brittle and there was a lot of scale around them.
Jomo
Jomo

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 11:47am

Thanks for that link witoldb.  I've actually taken the 3-way solenoid valve off and it had some scale build-up but nothing crazy.  Also it had a gasket and no o-rings.  The gasket was in good condition.  I'll dig a little more into it tonight after work.
Jomo
Jomo

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:07am

So I blow air into the spout hole (where the porta filter goes)  and I only get air coming out of the tube for the pressure gauge.  I get no air from the tube for opening for the boiler.      I'm trying to check for any sort of blockage.  I don't quite understand the water flow and what pipes do what.  

I suppose the most important question is where is the water coming from that makes the espresso shot?  So I can check for proper pressure and flow on those lines?

Jomo: unnamed-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Jomo
Jomo

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:36am

OK... I just have to say.. I win the award of the year for makingg things way more complicated than they really are.  So I finally picked up the manual and read that when in manual mode you press the manual button for infusion time and then release it to pull the shot.  What I've been doing is just pressing the manual button like a flip switch.  

What's been happening is it is pulling the shot in pre-infusion mode. WOW.  Well atleast I now know how to take this thing apart and put it backtogther.. GEEEZ!!!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258708000183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+