Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
La Cimbali M28 Select [Control Board Function]
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > La Cimbali M28...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
PedroNZ

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Cimbali M28 Select
Grinder: La Cimbali
Roaster: 1M Wok
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 10:45pm
Subject: La Cimbali M28 Select [Control Board Function]

Hi,

I have a mis behaving machine.  The fault has been intermittent for some time and now has become more permanent.

The control board isn't telling the main contactor  to come in.  When it does it wont stay in for more than a few minutes.

I have made a short tube clip of it in the midst of its misbehavings: click here

and some photos of the control card click here

The LED for low pressure comes on in the middle of the card...  but board won't tell contactor to start...  

It would be great to get an explanation of all of the LED's  and relays on the control card.  Thanks

Pedro
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 7:08am
Subject: Re: La Cimbali M28 Select [Control Board Function]

Hi.

There are a few of us here with La Cimablli machines.

Sadly, what you are up against is a computer issue. I have seen the manuals for my machine (M32) and the computer is not well explained. I think you need to contact a repair center for the brand of machine to get your answer. Some boards are EXTRA features and some are mandatory. The EXTRA board on my machine is bad and would cost about $600 to replace, I left it alone and don't worry about it, I do without the features it provided as the main board still works just fine. If my main board was bad, I seriously think I would scrap the machine and move on down the road to something else. There are a lot of commercial machines that I can get used for less money than the repair would be for a bad main board.

Sorry you are having issues but I do think a trip to the "dealer" is in order. I hope someone CAN help you !

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PedroNZ

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 2:49pm

Hi,
 Thanks for the reply.  I have a few things to try yet.  I am hoping just to get an explanation of some of the LED's to assist in fault finding.  So will just see what my first post may draw in.  In regards of explanations.  All comments welcome of course.

Cheers

PedroNZ: cimbalicontrolboard.jpg
(Click for larger image)
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 5:42am

The problem is likely one of the relays on the board. You will have to map out the function of each of the relays to find out which one is responsible for engaging the contactor. You can trace the contactor coil wires through the multi-connector and board traces to the relay contacts and test each leg of the relay to find out if it is getting power to the coil, and if its contacts have continuity when closed. If the contacts don't conduct, you can replace the relay with one of equal specification from an electronics supply shop. If the relay coil isn't getting power, it is likely a blown IC chip which will be harder to find and replace.
You must use a digital meter to test the board. Test lamps or analog meters will cause more damage to your board. Do you know how to properly handle your board to prevent ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) damage? It's possible an IC was damaged by this very thing.
One thing you can consider is replacing the pressure transducer in the boiler with a low current pressurestat, the type that looks like an automotive oil pressure switch with a microswitch on the side. You can use the switch contacts to power the main contactor if the switch can handle the current your contactor requires. If not, you may need to use one or two solid-state relays (SSR). You'll also need to find out if your contactor coil isn't internally shorted and either overdrawing or dropping out by testing the current draw when engaged and comparing to specification. Your board may be sensing an overcurrent situation and protecting itself by dropping the contactor. I would probably go down this path if your board required more than a relay to fix it. Good luck
PedroNZ

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 3:35pm

Thanks for the reply.  I will trace out the circuit a bit more.
PedroNZ

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 7:39pm

Traced out the board a little for my particular problem and it led straight to the pressure sensor micro switch (similar to available circuit diagrams).
After looping out the microswitch with a jumper and putting the pc board back in place.  The contactor reliably pulled in and stayed in.  When the jumper was connected.

The relays on the board appear only to be for solenoid activation.

The orange wires coming in are from the touch pads.

Have found a replacement Omron for the existing Saia  X62WZI micro-switch.

Will re-tie all the cable ties and put her back together  and see if its fixed.

PedroNZ: micro1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
PedroNZ

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 1:03am

A picture of the flow meters (now that I know what they are.  thanks guys)

PedroNZ: flow1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
PedroNZ

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 1:36am

Machine has been running continuously since Feb 1st without a problem.  Fantastic.  Thanks again for your comments.
PedroNZ

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 3:51am

click here

See above for my diagram of the contactor/pressure switch arrangement.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 7:03am

What you are describing as "contactor/ressure switch arrangement" is simply the Pressure Stat. LaCimbali  uses  one of their own design and in my humble opinion it is better than any other design I have seen. In addition, it has nothing to do with the control board so the title of the thread kind of slewed the answers you received.

Pressure Stats are a common maintance item though this one is much more robust than most, it is still open to problems but as you found out, because it uses a mircoswitch, it is easily repaired while other designs need to be replaced.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > La Cimbali M28...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237905025482)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+