Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Replacement for hot water dispenser solenoid valve with mechanical valve
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Replacement for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Junoh

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brasilia Portofino Del-1
Grinder: Le'lit PL53
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 7:27pm
Subject: Replacement for hot water dispenser solenoid valve with mechanical valve

Hi everyone,

I have been rebuilding Brasilia Portofino (Century) 1 group HX machine. It is a fun project and I have learned a lot so far. I replaced the pump and other various parts of the machine.

However, I cannot fix the solenoid valve that controls the hot water dispenser of the machine. It is leaking very bad. I tried to open the mechanical part of the solenoid valve, but it would not budge at all. It is dead stuck and I gave up on trying to open it.

Now, I hit a dead end. I cannot simply replace the valve because the company went bankrupt. I cannot find the details of the solenoid because it is a very old part and there is no writing on the solenoid. One thought I had was to get rid of the solenoid valve altogether and replace with a mechanical valve. Is this a possibility? I think this is a cheaper alternative, but I cannot find details.

Any suggestion/advice would be very helpful at the moment.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 8:11pm
Subject: Re: Replacement for hot water dispenser solenoid valve with mechanical valve

oddly enough, it might well be cheaper and certainly easier to use a replacement solenoid valve. It doesn't matter too much which one u use (as long as its 1 way for hot water), more important is the threads fit and things like voltage are the same.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 7:28am
Subject: Re: Replacement for hot water dispenser solenoid valve with mechanical valve

Junoh Said:

Hi everyone,

I have been rebuilding Brasilia Portofino (Century) 1 group HX machine. It is a fun project and I have learned a lot so far. I replaced the pump and other various parts of the machine.

However, I cannot fix the solenoid valve that controls the hot water dispenser of the machine. It is leaking very bad. I tried to open the mechanical part of the solenoid valve, but it would not budge at all. It is dead stuck and I gave up on trying to open it.

Now, I hit a dead end. I cannot simply replace the valve because the company went bankrupt. I cannot find the details of the solenoid because it is a very old part and there is no writing on the solenoid. One thought I had was to get rid of the solenoid valve altogether and replace with a mechanical valve. Is this a possibility? I think this is a cheaper alternative, but I cannot find details.

Any suggestion/advice would be very helpful at the moment.

Posted January 27, 2014 link

I thought I had the same problem with my VFA rebuild a while back. Turns out the Solenoids and pumps are still available out there.  Can you PM me or post a pick of the solenoid make and model?  I am 90% sure I can find a replacement.

Espressoparts.com has a ton of parts for your machine. http://www.espressoparts.com/Brasiliabruh-zill-ee-uh
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Junoh

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 9:48am

With a close inspection, I found what kind of Solenoid the machine uses. The machine uses mPm Solenoid(not m&m), which I tried very hard to find it online and found it to be very obscure.

The good news is that, the coil of the solenoid is actually fine. I just need the replacement for the body of the solenoid(metal part). I am not sure if this kind of the body is universal one.

http://i.imgur.com/6CtGjPP.jpg
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:00am

They usually are.  Are you able to supply the solenoid block with power itself?  You should get a magnetic charge inside the coil.  It should grab a screwdriver pretty hard.  

I am looking at cafe parts and I may have found the entire assembly new.

Click  Is this it?
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:04am

Are you able to post a picture of it with a solenoid together assembled to the machine?
Junoh

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 11:37am

Thanks everyone for helping!

Here are two pictures for the solenoid.

click here

click here

Burner0000 Said:

They usually are.  Are you able to supply the solenoid block with power itself?  You should get a magnetic charge inside the coil.  It should grab a screwdriver pretty hard.  

Click  Is this it?

Posted January 28, 2014 link

The direction of the valve is awkward to use on my machine.
Junoh

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 11:45am

Burner0000 Said:

Click  Is this it?

The magnetic force from the coil is very strong indeed. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the electronic and electromagnetic part of the Solenoid.
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 12:10pm

Junoh Said:

The magnetic force from the coil is very strong indeed. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the electronic and electromagnetic part of the Solenoid.

So odd.. The shaft looks fine.. Maybe the Nucleus inside the valve shaft.
Burner0000

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 12:16pm

This company looks like they have every part needed for your machine in stock.  It's UK but it's better than nothing.  I can't compare exactly what Solenoid were dealing with or where but you might have better luck.

Click
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Replacement for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276518106461)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+