Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Quick Mill Anita pump issue? idk...
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Quick Mill Anita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DigiManTX

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 7:53am
Subject: Quick Mill Anita pump issue? idk...

Hey guys...

Need a bit of help determining what my issue is here. I have an older style Anita that I just replaced the teflon seat and o-rings in the steam arm, and the expansion valve seat. It was running fine for a couple days then all the sudden I started seeing a pressure drop while pulling a shot. I have taken it all apart again and actually taken the expansion valve completely off and thoroughly cleaned it. I soaked it in citric acid and got it all nice and shiny. :D and I still have the same issue. I thought it may be sticking or something, but that isn't it apparently. Here's what's happening:

As I pull the shot, the pressure comes up to well over 10 bar (yeah I know not good) for a second, pump goes really quiet (like I've never heard it go that quiet before), then starts continually dropping as the shot pulls. I have noticed the last few times IF the heater kicks on the pressure REALLY drops... to like 4 or so. All the time the shot continues to go...

When I have the backflush disc in, it doesn't seem to drop. Now all this really tells me is that the system is maintaining that holding pressure. Chris' Coffee service dept says if it maintains pressure with the backflush disc in, then it's not the pump... somehow that doesn't really make sense to me. If no water can leave the system, then of course the pressure would remain constant regardless of what the pump is doing... all the pump would have to do is initially get it to pressure and the system itself would maintain that pressure until I drop the lever. Now my question along with that is, I've read somewhere with the blackflush disc in there is supposed to be water flowing back into the tank. I lift the hose and see water going back into the tank on the pressure rise, but once there then nada. Is this how it's supposed to be or no? I don't mind paying for a new pump IF that really is the problem, but I'd rather not waste the moolah if not.

and before anyone mentions beans. I've change up tamp/pressure/grind/etc and even different beans. no changes... I guess this is just like anything else, once you start fixing stuff more stuff decides to crap the bed...

as always, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

OH! and before I forget... is there a difference in an OPV and an expansion valve? I see the same part referred to with both names.

Brian
 View Profile Link to this post
daltongreene

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: K30-es,La minerva c11, Hario...
Drip: v60, Aeropress
Posted Mon Jul 28, 2014, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: Quick Mill Anita pump issue? idk...

Hey!

I have a Quickmill Anita also. I had this issue also and was worried about it. If it is in fact the same as my machine this is normal.
On my machine with correct grind etc shot reads at a steady 9-10 bar for about 14-17 seconds then slowly declines in pressure.
The shot is finished by the time it reaches 8bar more or less.

What I believe is happening is simply that as the shot continues more soluble solids are dissolving and inevitably pressure is declining with less resistance within the puck. I may be wrong of course, but this is what I believe is happening.
I have done many taste tests and I don't find it alters the taste of the shot in any negative way (I am starting to believe it has a positive impact on shot quality)

I am using a Mahlkonig k30-ES grinder and VST baskets.
I hope some of this helps.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Quick Mill Anita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.168704986572)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+