Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Isomac Relax problems
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Isomac Relax...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ebprod

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi S1 VII
Grinder: vario
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 10:56pm
Subject: Isomac Relax problems

Several years ago I upgraded to a Vivaldi II and gave my Isomac Relax to my daughter.  The Relax worked fine until recently, when she informed me the machine was not heating the water.  Without looking at it, I ordered a heating element.  I had replaced the element at another time and assumed the problem would be the same.

After replacing the element the machine seems fine at first- green light came on, but again the water didn't heat.  I went back and checked the old element and it was fine.  So next I removed the in-line fuse and checked it, again it was fine.  However, after putting the fuse back in, now the water pump won't shut off.  Water flows out of the top of the boiler through the expansion valve.

I'm thinking that it might be the control board.  Before I spend the money, what else should I check out?

-Joel
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 7:22am
Subject: Re: Isomac Relax problems

ebprod Said:

After replacing the element the machine seems fine at first- green light came on, but again the water didn't heat.  I went back and checked the old element and it was fine.  So next I removed the in-line fuse and checked it, again it was fine.  However, after putting the fuse back in, now the water pump won't shut off.  Water flows out of the top of the boiler through the expansion valve.

I'm thinking that it might be the control board.  Before I spend the money, what else should I check out?

Posted February 8, 2014 link

Joel - The most likely candidates for the first problem are the pressurestat, Giemme box, and the SSR. It is tempting to assume the water level problem is related, but I wouldn't be so sure. For the lack of heat, the two candidates in the Giemme box are the transformer and one of the 2 relays. The transformer can be replaced if you're handy with a soldering iron. I tried removing the relays and they were a lot of work. In my opinion, it's not worth the work, but you may feel differently.

Have you checked output from the PStat? Assuming you have the original CEME PStat, if it is stuck, there would be no continuity between the COM and NC terminals (when the machine is cold). See the diagram at:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Otherwise, when the machine is powered up and should be heating, you should see an LED on the SSR. If it's not lit then the SSR is bad or not getting power from the Giemme box. If you want to check to see if the Giemme box is sending current to the SSR, Pin 5 from the box should have line current on it.

The overfill problem could be the Giemme box, but could also be scale, but I presume you've been descaling...

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 7:25am

PS: Personally, I like having spare parts on hand, so if I have the money, I go ahead and order the suspect parts, and try replacing them and if they're not bad, just keep the spares for future failure.

ebprod

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 9:14am

Dana,

Thanks for the help.  The pressurestat reads good.  The LED on the SSR doesn't light up, so its either bad or not getting power?  How do I test pin 5- voltage meter between it and ground?

It hasn't been descaled for a while, but it always used a water softener cartridge and the boiler looked good inside.  I'll descale it again just in case.  

-Joel
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 9:42am

ebprod Said:

The LED on the SSR doesn't light up, so its either bad or not getting power?  How do I test pin 5- voltage meter between it and ground?

Posted February 9, 2014 link

Yes, that's what the LED is telling you.

Caution: I am not an electrician. But what I would do is NOT go to ground but rather to neutral. In my understanding of AC current (limited and probably dangerous!), the current flows between Line and Neutral. Ground provides a path for the current to flow (aside from through you) if it somehow comes in contact with the case or some other grounded part. In that situation there is an arc and a flash and lots of burning metal. I once severed a steam gauge line by accidentally shorting line current to it. :)

So you could run an alligator clip line from the neutral connector on the terminal block coming into the machine to your multimeter's black lead, and then touch pin 5 with the red lead. BE CAREFUL! (I hope someone with more electrical knowledge corrects me if I'm wrong).

The same could be done by connecting the neutral line (blue) going to the SSR's A2 terminal to the multimeter and making the connection to pin 5. If you do that, the heater should come on and you should see 120v. If not, then the box is bad (but does not also rule out the SSR).

Have you seen Eric's excellent schematic of the Millennium? It's functionally the same as the Relax except for the brew switch activation.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/Illustrations/IS_ELEC3.jpg

NOTE on his diagram, the power to the SSR is pin 6 - not sure whether it's marked 5 or 6 - look for the black wire going to the SSR.

ebprod

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 10:23am

Dana,

I don't get any reading between pin 5 and the neutral.  So it is a bad control box?  That would also explain the pump running too- right?

Thanks.

-Joel
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 10:46am

ebprod Said:

Dana,

I don't get any reading between pin 5 and the neutral.  So it is a bad control box?  That would also explain the pump running too- right?

Thanks.

-Joel

Posted February 9, 2014 link

I think that's right. Did you try also pin 6 on the box? It seems ambiguous from that diagram which it should be (although Stefano says pin 5).

I do not know enough about the vagaries of the box's internal schematic to say the pump running is also related. There is a guy (James Boyt) who runs a business fixing these boxes - He's over on H-B: http://www.home-barista.com/member/jpboyt/

(edit) Looking at the schematic, it is possible that the two relays inside the controller are getting stuck in opposite modes - the heat stuck open and the pump stuck closed...

The cost of these boxes is not bad - around $150 so it might be worth knowing you have a new unit especially if you are expecting this machine to be around for a while. You could contact Boyt to see what it would cost. Otherwise, Stefano's EspressoCare has good stuff at a good price and will likely help you troubleshoot as well.

I will note that the copper boilers are prone to failure at the pipe fittings. Mine failed not long ago and I had to think really long and hard about putting a $500 stainless steel boiler (now the only kind Isomac makes) into the Relax. Ultimately, I found a used copper boiler at a good price so went with it.

If you keep replacing parts, the machine will last forever. :)

ebprod

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 2:00pm

I ordered a new control box.  I'll let you know how it works.

-Joel
ebprod

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 2:49pm

I replaced the Giemme Control Box, and it's working great!  Thanks for all the help.

-Joel
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Isomac Relax...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279160022736)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+