Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
KitchenAid Proline wiring help
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > KitchenAid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
DawnM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: KitchenAid Proline
Grinder: Starbucks Burr
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 7:46pm
Subject: KitchenAid Proline wiring help

We need a little help.

We took the KA machine apart to give it a complete cleaning, including descaling everything and soaking parts overnight for cleaning.  The cleaning worked great and we now have a very clean machine, but we are having an issue putting it back together.

We should have taken a picture of the wiring before we started unplugging, but normally my husband is good at these things.......

This is the guide we pulled up:

Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

However, our machine has more wires than are listed here, and we can't figure out where they go!  We think they need to be plugged in to #14 (relay) but we have tried a few configurations and we can't get it working.

Anyone have a better diagram somewhere?

Thanks,

Dawn
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 6:01pm
Subject: Re: KitchenAid Proline wiring help

DawnM Said:

We need a little help.

However, our machine has more wires than are listed here, and we can't figure out where they go!  We think they need to be plugged in to #14 (relay) but we have tried a few configurations and we can't get it working.

Posted May 27, 2014 link

If you post a picture of your machine with the wires you're uncertain about unplugged I can probably tell you how to put it back together.  Here are some pics of the stock wiring.

pizzaman383: KA thermo side.jpg
(Click for larger image)
pizzaman383

Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 6:01pm

Here is another pic.

pizzaman383: KA top view.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DawnM

Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 6:10pm

Thank you so much.  I can get a picture up tomorrow, but in the meantime I will have my husband look at your pictures.

Dawn
DawnM

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:11pm

OK, I will post a couple of pictures.  All wires are plugged in as they look the same as yours.  The machine will click on, but immediately trips the fuse/wall switch.

DawnM: IMG_0155.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DawnM

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:39pm

Picture #2

DawnM: IMG_0154.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DawnM

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:39pm

Picture #3

DawnM: IMG_0153.jpg
(Click for larger image)
pizzaman383

Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 10:00am

I don't see anything out of place in those pictures.  You didn't show the connections on the thermostats for each of the boilers.

My machine was tripping breakers at one point.  I found that there was a wire pinched between the top case and the frame.  Once I moved it and fixed the insulation the tripping breakers stopped.

You might be able to isolate what portion of the wiring is involved.  The steps below only include disconnecting parts made to be disconnected but still be careful and only venture into this if you are willing to take the risk.  When disconnecting wires make sure that the disconnected wire does not touch anything and that nothing touches the exposed terminal.  Going into this is your choice and you are responsible for the risks and what happens.
  1.  Does the breaker pop right when the power is turned on?  If so, the pump circuits aren't involved.
  2.  You can disconnect the blue wires from the boiler-top connections to the heating elements.  If the breaker pops without those connected then the problem is between the power cord and those connectors.
  3.  You can disconnect the four wires from the boiler-side thermostats.  If the breaker pops without these connected then the problem is between those and the power cord.  if not, plug one set back in at a time then test again.  If one causes the breaker to pop when connected then you've isolated the problem to that connection.
  4.  You can disconnect both the white plugs feeding the blue wires near each boiler unit then see if the breaker pops.  If so, then the problem is between the power cord and those connectors.  If not, plug them back in and turn on the power one at a time to see if one side is causing the problem.
  5.  You can disconnect the flat, thin brain unit and see if the problem still happens.
  6.  You can disconnect the two plugs feeding the boilers, disconnect the brain unit, and disconnect the thermostat wires.  If it still pops then there are only a limited number of wires still connected.
  7.  You can disconnect one wire at a time from the relay and turn on the machine to see which connection causes the breaker to pop.

Be careful or take the machine to a Kitchen Aid repair center.
DawnM

Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 12:59pm

THANK YOU!

I have printed out your recommendations and put it near the machine.  Hopefully DH will be able to look at it this weekend.

If it comes to having to take it to be fixed I am thinking I am more inclined to just get a new machine.  I have had issues with this one a few times and the base area has rusted from water splashing up and the metallic cover starting to peel off.  It isn't as pretty as it used to be.  

I was just hoping to have it work on life support for a while longer if possible.

I will let you know what happens.
pizzaman383

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 7:14am

I'm glad to help.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > KitchenAid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26680803299)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+