Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Anybody use Capresso Infinity with the Silvia?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Anybody use...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
KCbean

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia on the way
Grinder: ? not sure yet
Drip: starbucks aroma grande
Posted Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:35pm
Subject: Anybody use Capresso Infinity with the Silvia?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the fine site!

I'm going to be receiving my new Silvia in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to make a good decision on the grinder. I've read decent reviews on the Capresso Infinity, other than some coffee grinds left behind and a few small issues, it rates well in the grinding department.

I'm seriously considering the Rocky doserless, and may go that route, but its always good to research and perhaps find a good value. Has anyone used the Infinity with the Silvia, and does it grind fine and even enough? My concern is the Silvia maybe needing lots of grind adjustment etc.

This machine will be a big step up in quality for me, I'm looking forward to trying to get some good shots. I like the milk drinks so thats why I went for the silvia over the gaggia and others, hoping it will put out a bit more steam.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
 View Profile Link to this post
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Fri Jan 14, 2005, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: Anybody use Capresso Infinity with the Silvia?

My first post too,

My Silvia is going to arrive next week from esspressotec in Vancouver.  It is replacing my Capresso Ultima that died last week.  It wasn't really up to snuff to begin with, so I didn't even investigate fixing it (it doesn't appeal to the ritualistic nature of making a great coffee either...hence, the Silvia).  Problem is, my wife got me the Capresso Infinity grinder for Christmas.  Only after ordering the Silvia did I find out that it might not be the ideal grinder for the Silvia.

However, I can tell you that the Infinity is a far superior grinder to the first Capresso burr grinder I had.  I find the grind very consitent in uniform size.  It is much quieter that my other model and seems to produce less static.  Having visited the tips section of the wholelattelove.com website, it says that this grinder isn't really compatible with the Silvia because it lacks a wide range of grind adjustments.  There are 16 marked positions from the finest to the most coarse.  However, these positions don't "click in" they are merely reference points for future reference.  I sucessfully could grind between the marks without any problem.  The only I can't say for sure is wether or not I get a fine enough grind.  It looks promising but I don't have previous experience with the Silvia either.

Wait a week and I can tell you if this grinder seems to work alright with the silvia.  Although I'll be getting through the learning to use phase, I also have a pretty good idea from the resources available on this site and past exprience (not on the Ultima...another well intentioned gift from my wife) whether or not I'm getting good shots using this grinder.  I might have to resort to getting a Zassenhaus hand mill 'cause I've already broken the bank.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sleepless
Sleepless

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 VII
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, KA Pro Line
Drip: Braun FlavorSelect
Roaster: Behmor 1600, HotTop
Posted Fri Jan 14, 2005, 2:01pm

I have a Capresso Infinity and a Solis Maestro Plus (which I bought before I knew what I know now about grinders).  My espresso machine is a Saeco Classico and I can tell you without a doubt that the Infinity will not grind fine enough for espresso.  I now use it for drip coffee grinding.  Better to go with all of the solid, experienced suggestions on this site and get a Rancilio Rocky or a Mazzer Mini if you have a decent espresso machine.

- Steve

"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by"
- Douglas Adams
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 14, 2005, 2:07pm

Welcome to CG y'all  :-))

You'll find that the Infinity and Solis Maestro PLUS may be capable (sometimes modification is needed) but these grinders aren't really up to thatask of grinding for espresso and will wear out quickly.  

Good grinders start at ~$160-$180 (Nemox LUX, Innova i2 and LaPavoni PGC).  Rocky is great but there are other alternatives at that price like the NS-MCI (from ChrisCoffee) and the Anfim/Pasquini (available for ~$200 as part of a package deal, but I can't remember the vendor).  

Sumocomputers is working on a nice comparison page that has a chart with purchasing links, etc

CLICK HERE  

Cheers!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rcs914
rcs914
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2005, 1:48am

Sleepless Said:

I have a Capresso Infinity and a Solis Maestro Plus (which I bought before I knew what I know now about grinders).  My espresso machine is a Saeco Classico and I can tell you without a doubt that the Infinity will not grind fine enough for espresso.  I now use it for drip coffee grinding.  Better to go with all of the solid, experienced suggestions on this site and get a Rancilio Rocky or a Mazzer Mini if you have a decent espresso machine.

- Steve

Posted January 14, 2005 link

This is interesting, since Al Critzer, a professionl who posts over on alt.coffee fairly often, has stated that he uses the Infinity as a traveling grinder to take with him to use on full commercial machines, for demonstrations.  I wonder if this could have something to do with the fact that your Saeco isn't pressure regulated, and thus is probably ramping up the pressure to 14 or 15 bar.  For instance, I bought a very cheap Delongi machine for a coworker, which I tried here at home first.  I had to grind way finer with my Cimbali Jr. for it than I did for Silvia, since Silvia has had the pressure mod.  Anyway, its food for thought.  :-)

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Sleepless
Sleepless

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 VII
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, KA Pro Line
Drip: Braun FlavorSelect
Roaster: Behmor 1600, HotTop
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2005, 6:14am

Thanks for the info.  I will take a closer look at whats going on.  Sorry for any inaccurate info.

I would actually 'rather' use the Infinity, since it is much easier to clean.  The Solis, for all of the good reviews I see, has some major flaws - flimsy tabs that can break off, coffee grounds can fall inside the body of the grinder to where the motor is...  I actually get a scary amount of coffee falling out of the machine when I invert it after each grinding.  It is hard to believe that noone can design a straightforward, easy to use and clean grinder for under $200.

I just got into this espresso 'trap' a few months ago and I am finding out that each time I make a step forward, things get much more complicated.

"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by"
- Douglas Adams
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Anybody use...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.408066034317)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+