Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Olympia Maximatic--adjust heat?  MRN1?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Olympia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kdkrone

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus; Olympia...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:31am
Subject: Olympia Maximatic--adjust heat?  MRN1?

I have been playing with my Maximatic for the past few weeks and have received some dynamite coffees that we have been enjoying, including Code Brown from Coffee Emergency and Dancing Goats from Batson.

I am pleased with the quality of the crema and the flavors, but the "tweaker" in me wants, of course, to find the optimal shot.  I have measured the temperature of the water issuing from the portafilter without a filter basket in place and it registers only 190 degrees, so I think that if there is a way to adjust the temperature, I would like to try to play with it.

Does anyone know if there is any way to fiddle with it?  MRN1, are you out there????!!!  (and thanks so much for your on-going help and encouragement, by the way)

Thanks
Ken K
kenkATthekronesDOTcom
 View Profile Link to this post
MRN1
MRN1
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Pasquini Livietta
Grinder: Anfim, SolisMP
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 4:30pm
Subject: Re: Olympia Maximatic--adjust heat?  MRN1?

Hey Ken,

Take the top & sides off. On the right side of the machine (side with sight glass) there will be a tube with a little metal square thing at the end (looks like a pack of matches???) hanging at an angle. If you look inside the metal square thing there is a little micro switch. Somewhere near the end (picture in brain getting fuzzy) of the square thing there is a brass thumb wheel. It might have a set screw? When you turn the wheel if adjusts the amount of pressure (from the tube) required to activate the micro switch. (Just fire up the machine again, leaving the top and sides off and you'll see which direction you have to turn the wheel).

If none of this works, or makes sense, I'll dig out a machine, take a look, and give a better explanation.

M.
kdkrone

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 4:57pm

Thanks, Mark.  I will give it a try this weekend, if I get a moment.  We are down 3 people in our medical practice, so days off are rare and I am working this weekend for a run of 12 days straight....

You mentioned "I'll dig out a machine".  Do you have any extra parts, like another portafilter, and/or double basket and/or shower screen?  I will probably keep this machine for a while and thought I would stockpile some parts that may wear.  (I am also thinking about drilling out a portafilter to go "naked" or whatever they call it when the bottom of the portafilter is cut off....)

Thanks.  Sorry to bother you with these questions, but be assured that I am most grateful for your help.
(BTW,I gave you a plug in my post on this thread:
"Why the fuss about grinders?")

How is it that you know so much about the Maximatic?  Have you done repair work on them or are you just very mechanically minded?  If you understand about vibration pumps, I posted a question here:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/105426

Ken K
MRN1
MRN1
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Pasquini Livietta
Grinder: Anfim, SolisMP
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 7:35pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the parts - the olympia folks are supposed to have these back in production again (but who knows given the ungodly price they quoted). You can order parts via their web site if you want. You could call the folks at Pasquini in LA and ask what spare parts they have for a Livietta (their rebranding of the Maximatic). They will probably have baskets and gaskets - who knows what else.  In response to your pump question - ya, vibe pumps break, but they are cheap and easy to replace. Both Ulka and fluidotech pumps will fit in your machine if you ever need one. Only 2 hoses and 2 wires - easier than a heart transplant.

I just learned by taking broken ones apart to fix them. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's just a hobby. Like you, I just like reading what's new around here, but I'm not insane and pilfering the kid's college fund to buy all the newest stuff.  No problem answering questions - I'm a prof so its second nature, but what does it mean that I'm answering questions about all the old stuff here??

M.
kdkrone

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:15pm

Hi, Mark.  (also, please see my next post after this one...)

No luck from Pasquini.  1st-line is on back order.  Haven't seen any Maximatics on eBay.  I will fax the factory.  Do you have any sources for used junker Maximatics??

Ken

>>Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting Pasquini.  Sorry, we do not have any seals or parts for the group head.
Please be advised that the Livietta has been out of production for over 10
years.  

FYI. The Group Head for the Pasquini Livietta was proprietary, and different
than that of the Maxi-Matic. The Livietta had a larger Dia. group head
including all group components.

Good Luck,
Regards,
Guy
Pasquini Espresso Co.>>
kdkrone

Posted Sat Jan 22, 2005, 11:27am

Hi, Mark.

Well, things may be worse than I thought...

I have not yet had a chance to play with my machine.  Yesterday, my temperature was down to about 140 degrees out of the portafilter after the machine had been warm for a few hours.  This AM before I went to the hospital at 7AM, it was about 130, so it is high on my priority list to play with the adjustment that you had described!

We also had a problem with the freezer side of our 14 year old Sub Zero fridge and lost a few hundred dollars worth of frozen food a few days ago.  I wonder what gremlins are at work in our kitchen...   :-(

If you could check in for posts from me on this thread, I would appreciate it, as I may need some info.  Better yet, if you could email me at kenkATthekronesDOTcom if I have a post to which you have a suggestion, that would be even more appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
pittsbri
pittsbri

Espresso: Pasquini Livietta,Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Zassenhaus
Drip: Hario,Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 3:04pm

I'm having some issues with my Livietta. Very thin body. Crema dissipates rapidly. Beans are fresh and high quality. Ground n mazzer just before extraction. Is this a temp issue? Just purchased this machine and it appears to be in decent shape. It's a '90.

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
pittsbri
pittsbri

Espresso: Pasquini Livietta,Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Zassenhaus
Drip: Hario,Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014, 12:12pm

Solved my ectraction problem. It appears that the problem was the borrowed super jolly that i was using until  my Vario arrived. The extractions were just awful in a variety of ways:sometimes over extracted, sometimes under, quickly dissipating yucky crema and the coffee always came out of the portafilter in a thin dark watery stream pretty much no matter what variable I changed. The only thing I hadn't tried was a different grinder. After purchasing and installing a new pump, and adjusting the pressurestat this way and that, I started using the Vario that had just arrived : voila! cream, body, mouthfeel, and a dwelltime of 7-11 secs. instead of 20-25. I then started searching this forum for posts regarding the symptoms of dull burrs and found several that seemed to confirm my experience. Dull burrs can lead to any and all manner of extraction issues. I haven't pulled the burrs out of the super jolly to check them ( it's a borrowed grinder so I'll probably just pass on a real physical inspection) but I 'm pretty certain that were I to inspect them closely I'd discover that they were quite dull.

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Olympia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327605009079)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+