Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
1st in Line's 3 hole tip for SILVIA - any comments?
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 1st in Line's 3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
nyc_crema
nyc_crema
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alexia (2010), Silvia (2004)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini (2004)
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 1:07pm
Subject: 1st in Line's 3 hole tip for SILVIA - any comments?

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

I've been frothing lately and really enjoying microfoam, so I am thinking of "upgrading" the stock Silvia steam tip to this "3 hole" tip.  Its $5 plus shipping, so its pretty cheap.  Anyone used this?  Any ideas?  Anything better?  Waste of money?
 View Profile Link to this post
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 2:35pm
Subject: Re: 1st in Line's 3 hole tip for SILVIA - any comments?

I ordered one for my Silvia from WLL at the same time I ordered Silvia because of some positive posts I read here.  WLL sent me only the tip and not the adapter.  Anyhow, finally got the adapter last week.  I tried it for a week and didn't nearly get the same kind of results that I was getting with the regular tip.  Maybe there is some other way I could use it to get better results but I think I've finally got a handle on the single steam tip.  The biggest drawback I found was that it was really hard to get the whirlpool going after stretching.  As far as the single tip goes, I think like many new silvia owners, you start out "afraid" of her power and don't let her get up to full steam power and don't open the wand all the way until after stretching.  I am now finding, even with as little as 4/5 oz. of 2% milk, I let her get up to almost full power, open the wand all the way and then drop the pitcher to get those little intermittent slurps of air.  Anyhow, this is really a very cheap experiment and you might want to give it a try.   Not sure if the 1st line would be any better.
KM
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 7:18pm

Kaelin's comments are consistent with a number of threads on the same subject:

My own impression? The Silvia three-hole steam tip is a nice "crutch" to learn by, but most will outgrow it quickly.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 7:38pm

I have a WLL three tip. I HATE it. I'll send it to you for, well, for free I guess. Email me if you want.
nyc_crema
nyc_crema

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 8:20pm

HB Said:

My own impression? The Silvia three-hole steam tip is a nice "crutch" to learn by, but most will outgrow it quickly.

Posted February 22, 2005 link

Dan your advice always sticks on me - I won't get one.  I can already froth better than any cafe around here (well, 99.9%) and I know I'll get better.  I thought maybe the 3 hole tip would be better.

Oh well!
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 9:53pm

Good choice. If the one from WWL is the same, it actually would decrease the amount of foam you could make by about 100%. Piece of crap.
nyc_crema
nyc_crema

Posted Wed Feb 23, 2005, 7:17am

poison Said:

I have a WLL three tip. I HATE it. I'll send it to you for, well, for free I guess. Email me if you want.

Posted February 22, 2005 link

Thanks, but save yourself the shipping and put it with the plastic tamper that came with your machine!
KPons

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Gevalia
Roaster: I wish
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2005, 8:33am

I purchased a "3 hole tip" and hated it.....piece of junk.  I've been frothing for 20 years with no problem, guess you're always enticed with something new.  Actually, burned myself as well.  If you want it, send me your address and I'll mail it to you for free.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2005, 5:26pm

Regarding 1st-line 3 Hole Silvia Steam Tip, NYC_Crema stated:

I've been frothing lately and really enjoying microfoam, so I am thinking of "upgrading" the stock Silvia steam tip to this "3 hole" tip.  Its $5 plus shipping, so its pretty cheap.  Anyone used this?  Any ideas?  Anything better?  Waste of money?

NYC_Crema,

Please note that this tip is primarily intended for customers who have owned their machines for three months or less. The initial purpose or intent of the tip was to allow our 'new' Silvia customers gain confidence in and easily learn how to froth milk with the Rancilio Silvia espresso machine.

Prior to selling our tip, many customers who purchased their Silvia as their very first espresso machine seemed to have lots of difficulty with the one hole tip. After countless hours of research and testing tip designs and sizes, we had this three hole tip manufactured.

Since our Silvia 3 hole tip introduction, we have increased our Silvia customers' satisfaction in frothing milk with Miss Silvia as we receive practically no phone calls on frothing milk and our customers do save a few cows. Although our 3 hole tip may be considered a 'crutch' by some, it definitely makes a 'lot more new customers' happier with their Silvia.

As for customers who have owned a Silvia for 3 or more months, the tip requires a change in technique from the one hole tip. Therefore, it is not recommended unless difficulty in frothing does remain.

Sincerely,
Jim
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
nyc_crema
nyc_crema

Posted Wed Feb 23, 2005, 7:20pm

1stline Said:

Regarding 1st-line 3 Hole Silvia Steam Tip, NYC_Crema stated:

NYC_Crema,

Please note that this tip is primarily intended for customers who have owned their machines for three months or less. The initial purpose or intent of the tip was to allow our 'new' Silvia customers gain confidence in and easily learn how to froth milk with the Rancilio Silvia espresso machine.

Prior to selling our tip, many customers who purchased their Silvia as their very first espresso machine seemed to have lots of difficulty with the one hole tip. After countless hours of research and testing tip designs and sizes, we had this three hole tip manufactured.

Since our Silvia 3 hole tip introduction, we have increased our Silvia customers' satisfaction in frothing milk with Miss Silvia as we receive practically no phone calls on frothing milk and our customers do save a few cows. Although our 3 hole tip may be considered a 'crutch' by some, it definitely makes a 'lot more new customers' happier with their Silvia.

As for customers who have owned a Silvia for 3 or more months, the tip requires a change in technique from the one hole tip. Therefore, it is not recommended unless difficulty in frothing does remain.

Sincerely,
Jim
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Posted February 23, 2005 link

Hey a vendor is paying attention =)  

Now, what about this, can 1st line help me make my mazzer mini into a doserless one way or another?
"Mazzer Super Jolly SPOUT to replace Mazzer Mini DOSER?"
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 1st in Line's 3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.492970943451)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+