Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Innova hopper issues?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Innova hopper...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Charlie

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Maestro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Bodum French press
Roaster: Fresh Roast +
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2003, 2:11pm
Subject: Innova hopper issues?

Maybe I missed it (alright, I'm sure I did), but was there any conclusion to the Innova self-ingesting hopper issue?

I'm finally getting 'round to buying a good grinder and have been seriously considering the Cunill, but just wanted to check the Innova situation first.

Thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2003, 8:15pm
Subject: Re: Innova hopper issues?

Charlie Said:

Maybe I missed it (alright, I'm sure I did), but was there any conclusion to the Innova self-ingesting hopper issue?

I'm finally getting 'round to buying a good grinder and have been seriously considering the Cunill, but just wanted to check the Innova situation first.

Thanks.

Posted June 9, 2003 link

The new conical ones sold will have a redesigned hopper. As far as I know, there wasn't a problem with the flat burr ones. Whether the redesign works is unknown.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
doppiodan

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Tea, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Innova con/dl
Roaster: fr+
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2003, 2:38pm

As far as I know, the final word on these hoppers is yet to come. Mine (conical) finally pretty much chewed itself down to the point where the taped neck could no longer support the weight of the hopper, even empty. This resulted in a toilet paper roll being taped in place...classy! actually, it worked better than the 'real' hopper and the grinder was noticeably quieter, too!  In the end,I bought a Mazzer, so the problem has pretty much been fixed, but at a cost. I designed a machined, small-capacity aluminum bean chute that I'll have made when enough good graces built up with my machinist, then retrofit it to the Innova. Everyone concentrates on the hopper, but the problem is also related to the molded top that surrounds the hopper neck. The fit is so bad (off-center) that the base of the hopper neck was being forced into the burrs. My plan is to have the aluminum chute sit on the upper burr holder snugly, and dremel the top plastic piece so it doesn't push against the chute. I bet my hopper would still be alive if I'd noticed the problem earlier.
 View Profile Link to this post
Sespe33

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mr Coffee/ecmp10
Grinder: Innova I-2 No Doser, Krups...
Vac Pot: 10/cup 18/10(SS)...
Posted Wed Jun 11, 2003, 2:47am

I do not know of the hopper issue being fixed by Innova, but I did come up with a hopper fix for my Innova doserless conical I-2.  

Since I prefer having no doser and I only make 1-2 espressos at a time, the very large hopper shipped with the unit was not very useful to me.  

I have made my own hopper from a "Blitz / Super Funnel".  This is an automotive funnel I purchased from an autopart store for $1.99.  From memory , I believe it was about 24" in length with approx 5" top opening, and 1/2" bottom opening.  It is black and made of thick flexible  plastic.  Because of the “Super Funnel” slight opening over 24"  it was easy to shape it with a belt sander to fit my I-2.

After shaping the "Blitz / Super Funnel,  it fits my conical I-2 better than the hopper supplied with the unit. More important, the I-2 is now much shorter overall, fits under kitchen cabinets, and allows me to fill it with beans every morning with out moving the unit.

I have also made a  lid from a clear plastic disposable drinking cup.   The bottom 1/3 portion of this cup fits into my modified “Super Funnel” hopper.  I simply trimmed the top portion of the drinking cup so only 1/4" extends above the top of the hopper.
Sespe33

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mr Coffee/ecmp10
Grinder: Innova I-2 No Doser, Krups...
Vac Pot: 10/cup 18/10(SS)...
Posted Thu Aug 14, 2003, 4:11am

****UPDATE! *** UPDATE!*** UPDATE!***  UPDATE!    

Date:   Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:54:54 +0200
Subject:   I2 grinder

Dear Mr. Youngberg,

Thank you very much for your interest.

The hopper and the chute has been changed 4 months ago.
The material we are using now is polycarbonate. It's alimentary
and unbreakable.

Espressoparts.com (Mr. Terry) should be able to help you and give you a
spare parts service.

Regarding our Coffeemachine we are in the US Certification process.

Thank you and we are at your disposal for anything you may need.-

Natalia di Bello
Export Dept.-
innovaequipment.com
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2003, 4:36pm

I have received and replaced most all hoppers that were damaged under warranty. It still seems that there are some issues though. The plastoc is much more durable, but it is still capable of being chewed up by the burrs. We curtailed the sale of the conical version becuase of this issue as it was becoming a full time job in warranty work. We have faith that Innova will adress the troble, but we have been informed by Jose Luis Ascaso (the owner of Innova) That out of some 22,000 grinders built and sold, our firm is the only one to report troubles. Whats more troubling about this, is that we have engineered a resolve and have not seen it in production as of yet. So in short the flat burr grinder is fantastic, the conical is troublesome for some users. I say some as not all conical grinders have had the issue according to Ascaso.

Terry Z.

Terry Z
ciscomanvann
ciscomanvann
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Friends borrowed burr...
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 9:39am

What vendor are you with? I called espresso parts about my hopper right after i bought my conical and was denied another hopper. I purchased one from espresso parts about two weeks ago and had to pay for it out of pocket :-(

espressogeek.blogspot.com
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 10:58am

ciscomanvann Said:

What vendor are you with? I called espresso parts about my hopper right after i bought my conical and was denied another hopper. I purchased one from espresso parts about two weeks ago and had to pay for it out of pocket :-(

Posted August 15, 2003 link

Well best I can tell I still work at Espresso Parts (My desk was still there when I came back from vacation ;-) We were allocated hoppers for grinders purchased and built by Innova during a set time frame. This should have covered those with the old style hoppers. Your grinder is (according to Ascaso) supplied with the new material. As I stated in my earlier post we note that there is still an issue. The hoppers may not break, but they still slip into the burrs. I apologize that my staff was diligent in having you pay for a replacement. However, if you would like to call me direct I will be happy to help you out.

Terry Z
http://www.espressoparts.com

Terry Z
handcannon

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 7:26pm

First I had to worry about my Zaffiro's thermostat and now I read about my grinder's hopper.  *sigh* Why do I see lathe work in my future?

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  A. Brilliant
Notaddicted
Notaddicted

Espresso: Brasilia
Grinder: Faema Commercial beast
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: braun old thing
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 8:38pm

handcannon Said:

First I had to worry about my Zaffiro's thermostat and now I read about my grinder's hopper.  *sigh* Why do I see lathe work in my future?

Posted August 15, 2003 link

Just tell me what you're going to buy next okay?  .....
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Innova hopper...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411608934402)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+