Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Oscar/Rocky shot timing question
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Oscar/Rocky shot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Benk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS OSCAR
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Utopia (eSantos)
Drip: Press Pot & Chemex
Roaster: Whirley Pop
Posted Mon Apr 25, 2005, 8:26am
Subject: Oscar/Rocky shot timing question

I just purchased a new Oscar on friday 4/22. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to play with it and went thru 2lbs of Costco espresso blend. With all my initial trials I went from perfect to soupy pucks back to perfect. All the espresso being acceptable to me.

What I couldnt seem to control is timing. Espresso began 5 sec into brewing a shot and was done by 11 to 20 seconds. I varied grind and tamp, but no variance of any kind seemed to change the fast timing. I got nice crema and an occasional g-shot.

I did the teflon tape mod this weekend on the Rocky and Im grinding 10 to 12 clicks up from the point where the blades just touch when empty. I tried 3 clicks up from nil and tamped hard to have the water just run out of the portafilter barely colored. With the setting up to 11 the water hesitates and the shots acceptable.

Im not sure what else to vary, othere than coffee beans in order to zero in a longer timing.
Or, is this a characteristic of this machine? Any sensible tips will be appreciated.

I purchased this machine from NS who just happened to have a demo for sale here in NW Washington. They had it set for ground coffee, not pods. What a wonderful machine otherwise, I am tickled with all other machine functions.
My previous machine was a SB Estro Vapore that was not easy to get a good shot from. Low water temp being its problem.
 View Profile Link to this post
proximityzero
proximityzero
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Wega Mini Nova
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: vac pots are for pretentious...
Drip: Capresso ST600
Roaster: Behmor 1600, homebuilt fluid...
Posted Mon Apr 25, 2005, 9:07am
Subject: Re: Oscar/Rocky shot timing question

What kind of tamping technique are you using? 11 is pretty fine for that grinder and even with beans that aren't the freshest you shouldn't be getting short shots. I guess you could try a few other kinds of coffee, but tamp technique sounds like the most likely culprit (not to sound condescending). The Oscar has a strong pump, and should be able to pull good shots, especially compared to the vapore. Under 20 seconds, and you are missing out on a lot of the sweetness that your coffee has to offer.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jawatkin

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky DL
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:03am

Benk Said:

I did the teflon tape mod this weekend on the Rocky and Im grinding 10 to 12 clicks up from the point where the blades just touch when empty. I tried 3 clicks up from nil and tamped hard to have the water just run out of the portafilter barely colored. With the setting up to 11 the water hesitates and the shots acceptable.

Posted April 25, 2005 link

I'm confused.. 3 clicks above zero and it gushed out?? I'm just learning my Silvia/Rocky combination with my new Rocky grinder (old one had a problem with the center shaft) and am getting ristrettos at around 8-9 clicks above my zero point for doubles and 10-11 clicks for triples.
Benk

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2005, 12:12pm

While it seems converse to common sense, that is exactly what happened. I did it twice before going to click  #11 from nil.
The texture of the ground coffee at #3 was very fine and came out of the shoot in a nearly solid clump shaped as you would think an extrusion would look. As it exited the shoot it was about 3/4" long before dropping to the bottom of the doser.
The grind at #11 held together after tamping and apparently presented more resistance to the water being forced through it. Not being experienced with the Oscar, I can only report what I observed.
So, this morning I raised it to #13 to see if there was even more resistance to pressure. There was not.
Still a good looking pour, nice crema, nice flavor, but only took 12 seconds.
Benk

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2005, 8:12am

Solved: This morning I changed coffee. Now things are working as normal. I called the friendly people at NS and gave me the "ground rules" and so it could only have been the coffee beans.
Live and learn.
Trial and error.
I look forward to a long and happy coffee life with my new Oscar. It sure is a herky machine especially compared with the Vapore. I am now making Americanos in the morning instead of brewing coffee in the E-Santos, Chemex and Press Pot alternately. On the weekends Ill be enjoying Cappas and Lattes instead of brewed coffee. Ill be playing with various espresso ingredients and practising my skills.

I now understand why my shots were so different in the Vapore.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Oscar/Rocky shot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344498872757)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+