Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
trading in the Rocky for the Mazzer Mini E
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > trading in the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
singforsupper
singforsupper
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: -
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Caffe Fresco-Tony Sciandra...
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 6:31pm
Subject: trading in the Rocky for the Mazzer Mini E

Yes, I bought a Rocky with my Bricoletta.  I thought the rocky would be enough.  I even argued with someone on here who said that one notch on the rocky made a ten second difference on their draw of espresso.

Well... (foot surgically removed from mouth) it does and I want better.  I am teetering between the mazzer mini and the mazzer mini-E.  Either will be schweet and with the bricoletta which is rotary vane pump, HX, direct connect and a drain line on the drip tray, I will be a happy camper.   If you want to buy my rocky it is on ebay and I mentioned in in the buy-sell forum on here.

Now... Why the Mini-E instead of the regular mini?

My experience with the Rocky has taught me two things.  1.  infinite grind adjustment is a good thing for consistancy of shot.   2.  I waste a lot of coffee using a doser for such small amounts of coffee.

Infinite Adjustment:
Both have it.

Doser and coffee waste:
Let's face it, a doser is intended for commerical applications where you grind enough coffee to fill the doser at least enough to cover the doser mechanism in the bottom so that it actually doses the proper amounts.  That would mean waste for most households that only makes a few shots in the morning, a few mid day, etc. etc.  Between morning and mid-day the old grinds are not often not useful (for several reasons including change of grind setting and freshness issues) so you never fill the doser up enough to use it for it's intended purpose.  I wind up wasting coffee no matter how careful I am.  This is where the Mazzer E comes in.  It is about $250 more than the regular Mini.  That's a LOT of money and I would rather not spend it on a grinder.  BUT ---------
I figure I am wasting about 6oz. of coffee a week from fussing with the doser including:

1.  the grinds that shoot to the side of the basket when you click the doser.
  2.  the grinds that I brush out of the doser after each morning and each afternoon to maintain freshness
  3.  the grinds that I toss when leveling the coffee in the PF because I am always guessing with the doser.  (I've gotten better at  putting a similar amount into the PF each time, but one can only get so precise when using a doser for such small amounts).

6oz. of coffee costs about $5 including shipping.  At 6oz. per week, that's $20 per month.  That's $240 per year. and I think that's a conservative estimate.  When I entertain, that figure goes up.  I seriously think that the Mazzer E would save me about that much per year because it can be set to a consistant dose ground directly into your PF via a funnel configuration with no grounds flying sideways, and with a stainless steel funnel, there would be less sweeping out needed (a few times a week and with MUCH less buildup that a doser).  

Therefore the extra cost of the Mazzer Mini E would be saved in the first year and the savings would really add up over even a 5 year period to about $1000 saved on coffee purchase and shipping.  And even if I begin roasting, there is still savings for the same reasons.

Any comments?

Coffee, I must have coffee,
And if anyone wants to give me a treat,
Ah!, just give me some coffee!

~J. S. Bach Coffee Cantata, BWV 211~
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 9:42pm
Subject: Re: trading in the Rocky for the Mazzer

singforsupper Said:

I thought the rocky would be enough.  I even argued with someone on here who said that one notch on the rocky made a ten second difference on their draw of espresso. Well... (foot surgically removed from mouth) it does and I want better.

Posted April 13, 2005 link

That would be me!

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/123720
nyc_crema
nyc_crema

Espresso: Alexia (2010), Silvia (2004)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini (2004)
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:04pm

good move on the mazzer mini.  I was never satisfied with the rocky, though I really did like the fact that it was doserless, but I've grown to accept the doser (I really hate dosers but who cares now hehe).

mazzer is well worth the extra $150 or whatever it is these days.
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:14pm

nyc_crema Said:

good move on the mazzer mini.  I was never satisfied with the rocky, though I really did like the fact that it was doserless, but I've grown to accept the doser (I really hate dosers but who cares now hehe).

mazzer is well worth the extra $150 or whatever it is these days.

Posted April 13, 2005 link

Seems like the Silvia to prosumer machine upgrade fever is similar to a move from Rocky to Mazzer grinder. From what I've read most people with prosumer machines get better tasting espressos with a Rocky to Mazzer upgrade, which makes sense.
singforsupper
singforsupper

Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 1:16am

Overnight I had a revelation about the Mazzer Mini E so i changed the title of this thread and ammended the opening post to reflect my take on the value of the Mini E.  Please play devil's advocate and talk me out of spending the cash for the Mini E if you think my argument is weak.

DEchelbarger
DEchelbarger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Solis SL-70
Grinder: Macap M 4, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Nicro
Drip: pour over, Chemex, FR Press,...
Roaster: RK Drum, I-roast, manual...
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 5:46am

Perhaps you have read here too something that I just learned, that the Mini E has larger burrs than the regular Mini -- it is a different grinder.  That helps with the price difference too.
singforsupper
singforsupper

Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 6:01am
Subject: Re: trading in the Rocky for the Mazzer Mini E

Yeh, I noticed the larger burrs, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make because the regular Mini is already a phenominal grinder.  But, yes, somehow that means something I'm sure.

On the whole coffee savings thing,   if I could cut down my usage to one pound a week (4-6 doubles a day with a few practice shots per day) it would be all worth it.  I would save quite a bit of money indeed.That would easily save $20-$30 per month from my current purchase pattern.   Damn, that would be nice.

nyc_crema
nyc_crema

Espresso: Alexia (2010), Silvia (2004)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini (2004)
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 7:10am

singforsupper Said:

Yeh, I noticed the larger burrs, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make because the regular Mini is already a phenominal grinder.  But, yes, somehow that means something I'm sure.

On the whole coffee savings thing,   if I could cut down my usage to one pound a week (4-6 doubles a day with a few practice shots per day) it would be all worth it.  I would save quite a bit of money indeed.That would easily save $20-$30 per month from my current purchase pattern.   Damn, that would be nice.

Posted April 14, 2005 link

You asked to be talked out buying the mazzer mini E .... just buy it dood.  You know, it's going to last you a really long time, at least 10 years if not more and during that time all you'll have to do is replace the burrs at like 6 years or something.  The difference in price, streached over a the time you have it, is absolutely worth the value over the Rocky.  The mini E is neat, but mini or mini E, you'll be happy either way.  While you're at it, but a new tamper, latte glasses and two sets of illy cups.  LoL, okay now you're spending too much.  But, get the mini E and stop worrying!
nmayweather

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 8:25am

have you considered the Macap ?

You should look into the macaps.
gscace

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, Astra...
Grinder: 3 Mazzers Robur, Kony,...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Hario Nouveau
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Has Garanti 1kg. electric
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:01am

DEchelbarger Said:

Perhaps you have read here too something that I just learned, that the Mini E has larger burrs than the regular Mini -- it is a different grinder.  That helps with the price difference too.

Posted April 14, 2005 link

Ya know, I have mini, a Cimbali jr. and I just scored a mini-e.  I read the bit on the mini-e having 64 mm burrs.  The base of the mini and mini E look nearly identical.  Both of my mini's grind at the same speed.  My Cimbali, which has 64 mm burrs, grinds a good bit faster.  So I suspect that the mini-e has the same burrset as the mini.  Not that I'm complaining.  I love the cleanliness of the dispensing system on the mini-E.  They're definitely cool as hell.

By the way, 1st Line has the best price that I've seen recently, in case yer interested.

-Greg
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > trading in the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466669082642)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+