Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ChrisCoffee Float Kit and the Giotto
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ChrisCoffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
HB

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2003, 7:36pm
Subject: Re: ChrisCoffee Float Kit and the Giotto

chriscoffee Said:

You can take your machine to your parent's house for the holidays or for that matter anywhere at anytime it only takes less than a minute to disconnect. You can't do that with the direct connect system, it has to be connected to a water source with pressure, it won't draw water from a tank.

I've heard conflicting answers to this question: Do all espresso machines that have inline plumbing require a water source with pressure?  Is this because of the pressure regulator and is it always required?

handcannon Said:

For those who are really paranoid, and a little handy, you could wire a solenoid valve to the power switch.  Machine off = water off.

A lot of CGs leave their machines on 24/7.  You could hook the solenoid to the brew switch, but that would only give it a very short time to refill.  

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
handcannon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Wed Jun 25, 2003, 7:39pm

I personally have mine on a timer.  I only turn the power switch on when I know I'm going to be home to enjoy some shots, which doesn't happen near often enough.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  A. Brilliant
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003, 5:04am

handcannon Said:

I personally have mine on a timer.

Posted June 25, 2003 link

I can't handle espresso right away in the morning, so a timer is unnecessary for me.  By the time I've taken a shower and dressed, the machine is plenty hot.  I agree that if you don't leave your machine on 24/7, your solution would eliminate the consequences of a failure (and no risk of a failure while you're away).

This reminds me of another offline debate: Will you consume more electricity bringing an E61 type machine up to full temperature more than once in a day than you otherwise would by leaving it on 24/7?  I'm a little skeptical, but it could be true.  It takes a good amount of energy to bring 9 pounds of brass from room temperature to 200F+.  Any thermal dynamics experts out there who can settle the question?

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003, 6:28am

Ambient temperature would probably be a major factor in the calculation?

I would think that each manufacturer would be able shed some light on this, as I can't imagine a manufacturer not having a tech dept. This sort of information is normally given in the form of 1 start up equals x amount of running hours.

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
medegraa
medegraa

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maesto
Drip: Melitta Fast Brew
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Fri Dec 19, 2003, 9:18pm
Subject: Re: ChrisCoffee Float Kit and the Giotto . . . A Question for Mdreuben

Martin,

I have tried to email you a couple of times and the note is always bounced back to me so I hope that you will get this.

I have purchased the float kit from Chris and will install it on my Giotto soon but I would like to know if there are any potential problems you would like to address.  Did you install on the right or left of the water reservoir?  Are the hoses any concern?

If possible, could you email me a picture of your install?  It would help me considerably.

Thanks,

Mike.
mdreuben
mdreuben
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spazialle VII, Electra...
Grinder: Mahlkonig K 30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Say No To Drip!  Use the Eva...
Roaster: Sonofresco, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Sat Dec 20, 2003, 6:27am
Subject: Re: ChrisCoffee Float Kit and the Giotto . . . A Question for Mdreuben

Sorry about the email address - it was wrong in my profile (now fixed).

I drilled the hole approx. 2.5" down on the left side.    Tighten the float so that it moves straght up and down.  You do have make sure the water hoses inside the tank are clear of the float action.  I keep them close by on the left side.

For safety, I turn off the valve when I'm away from the house.   I haven't had any problems, but just want to be safe.
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Tue Jun 1, 2004, 12:18pm

HB Said:

I'm a tiny bit concerned about a float system with no drain.  More than once I've had a toilet float stick and the water runs and runs.  No problem, because the water goes into the overflow.  If the same thing happens with your Giotto, the kitchen will be flooded.  

Posted June 21, 2003 link

A year later, using this float system and I wanted to weigh in with some actual experience.

I recently screwed up while cleaning my system and without realizing it lost a washer in the float hookup. So I had the expected disaster when I hooked everything up, and left it on when I left for work. The flow was so small that we have no damage, but we did get some wet carpet and a moderate amount of water to clean up. Perhaps a large glass or more worth of water. It was easy to shut down the system and when I figured out what happened, get a new washer.

The flow is low enough that a day with a leaky float valve resulted in a wet countertop, a wet spot on the carpet, and no permanent damage. The concern over failure is real. The concern over damage may be exaggerated for day to day issues, but probably not if we had been gone for a week long trip.

In my final installation (when we finish buying our new home), I intend to have the system setup where all surfaces are expected and designed for water exposure and will have a catch bucket installed under the hole in the counter. I'll also move the valve shutoff to a more convenient position so I can turn it on and off without opening the sink cupboard.

Use the info as you wish.

Tarik

PS - I still like this solution as it is simple, elegant, and allows me to take the machine to a wedding or special event much more easily.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
bigm

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 5:04pm

i see people saying with a plumb in system and a restricter you only get a small amount of water in the event of a flood

My restrictor still lets out about 2 pints aminute                        thats a lot of water in a day.

Plumb in and leave it on....like Dan i cant do espresso when I wake up and turn on machine have shower etc...

and after research i turn off water on nights away or weekends.....but rest of the time leave it on...i put a drain in the kitchen floor though so wont get a total flood

good topic

plumbing in is still the best though......saves lots  of hassle......
barngal

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: MACAP M4
Posted Mon May 9, 2005, 11:51pm

HI, I'm pretty new here-- a toddler geek, so to speak...Great topic, since I'm trying to decide how to plumb my Brewtus....

one thing I really like about the float kit--my machine comes with a  function that turns off the machine if the water level gets too low....I hadn't figured out how to preserve that function with direct plumbing...(I'm on well water)

I think if I install the float properly I should be able to preserve the "auto off"  function.  Quite an expensive repair if I burn up the machine!  And if I install the on/off valve in a handy position, it should become part of my routine to turn it on and off (I leave my machine on all the time).

I'm interested in any other comments, but  from my reading here, I'm very seriously considering installing the float .Thanks for all the thoughtful input!

Jenni
Ozark_61
Ozark_61

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Mon Aug 29, 2005, 11:21pm

HB Said:

Update: I did a mental inventory of the plumbing this morning.  Only the ice cube maker has no "exit strategy".  Everything else (washer, dishwasher, sinks, toilets) has at least one exit (drain), failsafe (overflow), or both.

Posted June 22, 2003 link

Yeah - I came home to that in Spring.  It was raining in the basement and the floors are a wreck.  I don't know why a solinoid on the water dispenser on the fridge would fail to the open position after it hadn't worked for 2 years...

That said - is there a difference between the direct connect kit and the float kit?  I would love to direct connect the plumbing.  I would like to find something for the drip tray too - my complaint with the giotto is the tiny drip tray.

Geoff
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ChrisCoffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421315193176)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+