Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Timing the cooling flush on E61 machines?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Timing the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
coffeacanephora
coffeacanephora
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni EPC-8,...
Grinder: Cunill Tranquillo,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, White Cross...
Drip: Chemex, Melitta, Cuisineart,...
Roaster: None yet...but getting the...
Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 6:40pm
Subject: Re: Timing the cooling flush on E61 machines?

Loved the Isomace video as well...very "film noir"...poor lonely pressure espresso machine...abandonded on the curb.....actually, I was waiting for a car (driven by....?) to come by and hit it.

I received my Anita on Friday....I didn't abandon my other espresso machines (La Pavoni and Barista Zia)...however the Zia was shipped off to my sister-in-law for her church's Sunday refreshment session...there's a joke in there somewhere.....
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeacanephora
coffeacanephora

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni EPC-8,...
Grinder: Cunill Tranquillo,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, White Cross...
Drip: Chemex, Melitta, Cuisineart,...
Roaster: None yet...but getting the...
Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 6:48pm

Sort of related...I have a spiffy new Anita...I work from home.  How long do your other e61/HX machine owners leave your machines on?
Apologies if this triggers a "duh" indicator in anyone......never had an e61.....had a Baby Gaggia in Europe in the 80's and a La Pavoni and Barista Zia (now in a church hall in Missouri "Yes, I will have a doppio with my pinapple upsidedown cake")....
 View Profile Link to this post
e61brewski
e61brewski

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 10:40pm

in light of the temp stability cannonfodder got, i went back to the drawing board. rejiggered my flush routine. and, uh, i changed my mind. results here. the gist -- no more rebound times for me. some of the more post-prolific gurus around here have preached such a no-rebound flush in recent days, so i gave it a whirl. the video tells the tale (perm link here. actual espresso is brewed here with the revamped flush routine -- at last, a consistently awesome yirgacheffe).

as for leaving a HX machine on, i've asked around about this and failed to come up with a consensus. the things contain so much metal that must heat fully for normal operation that it's tempting to leave them on 24/7 -- and i have for nearly a year. sticky switches and some well-toasted plastic parts inside spurred me to wonder if this caused needless damage. on the one hand, turning the machine on and off at least once a day  would seem to put a lot of wear on parts from the dramatic shrinking and expanding that comes with such a cycle. on the other hand, constant heat has clearly left its own mark. i haven't figured out which way  is best, to be honest. my current routine depends on my schedule, and how fast i'm going to need a brew in the morning...

you might start another thread on this. seems like a new topic others might weigh in on.

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Teme
Teme
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario
Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 11:16pm

This is very interesting. Temp consistency with an easily repeatable flushing routine that takes less time and less water. I will give it a go myself. As regards the cool temp profile, would this be compensated by a higher boiler pressure?

Br,
Teme

www.espresso-passione.com (my blog)
www.pbase.com/teme (my photo galleries)
www.ristretto.fi (my Finnish language coffee site)

LMWDP #039
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
e61brewski
e61brewski

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Sun Jul 17, 2005, 4:08am

the cool profile of this shot was intentional. i could have easily made it a hotter shot by stopping the flush a second or two earlier. the point of the video is simply to illustrate consistency -- the temp profile is adjustable for every shot (which is why i really love the HX machines).

i think i link to a chris tacy post at the blog. he does the same sort of flush.

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Timing the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347015142441)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+