Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I'm in BIG trouble!
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I'm in BIG...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
wkc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Mod B
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:13pm
Subject: I'm in BIG trouble!

Since I got some AE points to redeem for some free gift, I was just thinking if I should get my wife a KitchenAid or a Krups.  Then I saw some "unknown" brands like Saeco and DeLonghi in their list.  So I search around and found this site.  I read some review, did some price search, looked into ebay, came back here to read more review and forum posts.  A few cycles of this reading and searching later, the names progress from Krups to DeLonghi which I could get for free using the AE points.  Then change again from using free AE points to real money to get the Gaggia, then change again to a FF X3, then to a Solis SL-70 or the Rancillo Silvia.

Instead of a Solis Maestro that I could get for free to a Rocky, then a Mazzer Mini, then a bloody pricy Mazzer Mini Electronic.  See what you guys did to me!!  Just don't tell my wife I'm going to spend over a thousand dollars to get her some "potentially" good cup of espresso.

I'm thinking why bother the upgrades.  I doubt my wife would let me spend more money on it later anyway.  Just get supposingly the best (and less than or just about $1000).  With the Silvia and Mazzer Mini E, I hope I'm not going way over my head as our first set of machines...
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
BenB

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 2 x 2grp LM
Grinder: 2 Swifts, Mazzer Robur
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:19pm
Subject: Re: I'm in BIG trouble!

:)

Welcome to CoffeeGeek Wes!

This situation happens to the best of us. My Boss used to be a school teacher for 12 years before he stumbled on this site and caught the fever. He quit his job and now runs an espresso bar so he can make coffee all day long. :)

I'm sure you'll have great fun experimenting with your (and wife's) new equipment.

Cheers,
Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
krzyhobo
krzyhobo
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: FB70/Wega
Grinder: Rio/Mazzer
Drip: Pourover
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:25pm

Reading a post like this always brings a smile to my face and reminds me of my first steps on a little thermoblock Krups =)

Welcome to the community!  Have fun and drink good coffee.
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:33pm

Hi Wes, and welcome to coffeegeek!  
Also welcome to the club...

Great move going for a great grinder!  
Just remember these things:  

1. Silvia is a "high maintenance" mistress and the learning curve can be steep, so please don't be too disappointed when you find out it can be tougher than it looks.  

2. You'll need very fresh and properly roasted coffeebeans to make good espresso

We can help you find the beans if you like, Starbux won't cut it.  

If you're going to try to avoid upgrade fever then maybe you would be willing to consider an HX machine (like the Expobar Pulsar or an on-sale Isomac).  Right now you could likely manage a deal for a Mazzer and an HX that will have you in the same neighborhood for cost.  By substituting the regular mini you could "free up" enough budget for the HX and avoid many of the Silvia learning curve woes, and thye bonus is you could make a pair of latte drinks for you and your wife quick enough that you could enjoythem together.  

Often times we discover that once you're making the "real deal" drinks the SO can be more forgiving (especially if she's a coffee lover as well).  

Again - welcome to coffeegeek!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
superjohnny
superjohnny

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: French Press, Technivorm,...
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:33pm

A Mazzer Mini E will put a pretty good dent in $1,000.  What are AE points?
wkc

Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:37pm

AE points are like frequent flying miles that you get but from an American Express card.  Each dollar I spent I got a point towards some gifts.  My AE is a corporate card.  I rang up at least a few thousands points every month from the business expenses.  

JonR10 Said:

Great move going for a great grinder!  

Posted June 5, 2005 link

Thanks for a lot of people's comments from here.  I knew I need to spent more money on the grinder.  :)

JonR10 Said:

Silvia is a "high maintenance" mistress and the learning curve can be steep, so please don't be too disappointed when you find out it can be tougher than it looks.  

Posted June 5, 2005 link

From what I've read so far, this is what the most I'm afraid of as well...

superjohnny Said:

A Mazzer Mini E will put a pretty good dent in $1,000.

Posted June 5, 2005 link

Yea, that's why I didn't even look at any espresso machines that are over $400.   Let me go look at the Pulser Espresso now.
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:48pm

wkc Said:

From what I've read so far, this is what the most I'm afraid of as well...

Posted June 5, 2005 link

Well then, maybe read up about "prosumer" machines.  They have a much easier learning curve.  The only machines that are easier to use thyan prosumers are double-boilers (starting at $1500) and true commercial machines.  

For me, I love using my machine.  Having an HX (heat exchanger) means being able to steam and pull shots at the same time.  It also means more steam power (usually).

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
wkc

Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 10:53pm

JonR10 Said:

Well then, maybe read up about "prosumer" machines.  They have a much easier learning curve.  The only machines that are easier to use thyan prosumers are double-boilers (starting at $1500) and true commercial machines.  

Posted June 5, 2005 link

Starting at $1500?!!!   Let me look into other a little bit more affortable HX units first...
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 11:03pm

wkc Said:

Let me look into other a little bit more affortable HX units first...

Posted June 5, 2005 link

Yes, that was my point!

Try calling Chris at ChrisCoffee and ask what kind of deal you can get on an HX with Mini for around $1000.  You could also call WLL and EPNW and see if they have any good deals going.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
wkc

Posted Mon Jun 6, 2005, 12:13am

EPNW?

On the coffee bean, I was just going to get starbux.  What should I get instead?  How are the choices from WLL?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I'm in BIG...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.465632200241)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+