Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
World's biggest/stupidest steam tip
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > World's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mista_T

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra MC SA, Carimali Uno
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Anfim Milano
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sun Jul 3, 2005, 11:00pm
Subject: World's biggest/stupidest steam tip

This is on the Carimali Uno I acquired recently. I hate "froth assisting" tips at the best of times, but this one doesn't even assist. Think the worst '80s cappucino froth you've ever seen, then get a monkey to try and replicate it. Also, it's massive. It looks to me like it's been retrofitted to the steam arm, and the weight of it means the steam arm won't stay where you put it. It just flops back down to the drip tray.

On the plus side, the machine it is attached to seems pretty good so far.....  :)

Mista_T: Stupidsteamwand.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I don't get mad. I get...stabby.
                                        - Fat Tony
 View Profile Link to this post
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2005, 9:58am
Subject: Re: World's biggest/stupidest steam tip

I never heard of the Carimali Uno before seeing your post. If you look at their site click here it appears that the tip is without "embellishment".

What did the machine cost you - if you don't mind my asking? It looks like a serious player!
- dual boiler (1600w + 350w)
- 3.5l main boiler
- 28kg net weight.

Len

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
GongfuCoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2005, 6:43pm

Worldman Said:

- dual boiler (1600w + 350w)
-

Posted July 4, 2005 link

It's a HX machine. Maybe its pump works at 350w

Wang
Mista_T

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2005, 10:02pm

Yeah, the machine is a beast. Not the prettiest machine ever - especially given my other machine is an Elektra, but it is certainly powerful. I got it for about NZ$650 (currently ~US$450) on an internet auction, which I think is a bit of a steal (despite the many years' worth of crap on the machine), as the lowest price I have seen for a used one is US$1200. I have seen refurbished ones selling for NZ$2500+ locally in the past.

It is a single boiler HX machine: the "1600W + 350W" refers to 1600W heating element plus 350W motor, as GongfuCoffee suggested.

The very few specs on the Carimali site are all the details I have about the machine, and I have no idea what one would retail for new. (Anyone got any more info?) As I said, it's a single-boiler commercial HX machine with programmable volumetric dosing. I was very impressed when I took the shell off it to reveal names like Gicar, Sirai, Procon, RPM, etc. which have been previously out of my league.

The exploded parts diagram shows a normal steam tip. Ordering this is high on my to do list.

- Fat Tony
dolcimelo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra SXCD, Aero Press,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona B
Drip: Not since getting the tap...
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Jul 5, 2005, 8:11pm

Of course, any Elektra has to be disqualified from beauty contests on the grounds that it is unbeatable...

I'm even more intrigued now that I've seen their site - even the little Carimalina boasts:

1,5 l. boiler, 2,3 l. built-in water tank or possibility of water net connection
Simultaneous dispensing option of coffee and steam
Professional filter holder, adjustable for coffee pouches
Thermosiphonic coffee group heating

It doesn't say HX, but does 'thermosiphonic' and simultaneous steam imply this? You wouldn't expect those specs from looking at it.

As for NZ$650 being "a bit of a steal", I'd say you should be in prison 8-) Good luck with it!

Matt
Mista_T

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2005, 1:01am

Yup, it's an HX. Don't think it has a thermosiphon though. Boiler is about 3.5L I believe, volumetric dosing, internal rotary pump... I'm still getting a kick out of reminding myself (and anyone else who will listen) that it's not a commercial quality machine, it is a commercial machine.

Carimali are definitely serious players in the market, but it's quite hard to find people who sell them, or any info about their machines on the net.

So far, it's awesome (even the steam tip is ok with a few holes plugged up). Maybe I'll do a review soon...

- Fat Tony
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > World's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352719783783)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+